Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, just a few miles down the freeway from here, a homeowner made a very serious error in judgement. According to a report from KIRO 7 TV, the man returned home to find the door to his home had been kicked in. He investigated and discovered someone who didn't belong there taking a shower.

The intruder, identified as 31-year-old Nathaniel Joseph Rosa from Bothell, was killed, officials say.

Police said Saturday afternoon that Rosa was shot while taking a shower. The homeowner, after discovering Rosa, left the scene to retrieve his gun, returned and shot Rosa through shower curtains.

Detectives say the homeowner has been arrested on a 2nd degree murder charge.
I underlined the part that explains why this homeowner may have an entirely different home to worry about for the foreseeable future..

What did he do wrong? Well, he was initially able to safely extract himself from the scene unharmed after he discovered the intruder in the shower. Instead of then staying in a place of safety, he procured a firearm and returned to the scene. Finally, according to the report above, he shot and killed someone who was not presenting a threat to him.

·
Premium Member
36,691 Posts
If I had a dollar for every time I mistakenly went into someone else's house and took a shower...

Seriously, if events transpired as portrayed, the shooter is some special kind of dim.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm going to get some popcorn and sit and wait for someone to take the homeowners side and explain the justification.....

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you execute someone for unauthorized use of your shower you shouldn't be surprised when you get to share your new shower with 100 other guys just like him, and much worse, for the foreseeable future. An epic failure of critical thinking and allowing emotion to dictate his reaction will cost him dearly.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
What's wrong with people?!!! Do they really think this is OK?

Are they that eager to kill someone that they are willing to ruin their own lives?

Man, People are messed up!

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
This whole thing just feels dirty.

Was the soap Lever (action) 2000?

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
887 Posts
If I come home and find my door kicked in I'm calling 911 and letting them go inside first. Nothing in my house is worth killing or being killed over. Besides anyone going inside would either have departed quickly or is pretty well mauled by the Shepherds. :smile:

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Someone using all your hot water - yup, that's a shooting offense.

Bubba better hope he doesn't drop the soap himself.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
They didn't give the name of the homeowner so I'll just assume his name is Norman Bates.

Sent via my subspace communicator

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The "castle doctrine", which is his only defense, typically has four components:

1. The person must be inside their home. Check.

2. The person must be committing (or attempting to commit) an unlawful entry. Check.

3. The use of deadly force is reasonable. Some states have a presumptive status that anyone in the home illegally they are doing so with the intent to commit an act of violence. So, this *may* be true.

4. Duty to retreat. This is another one that varies widely from state to state. Some states have codified the castle doctrine such that there is no duty to retreat. So, whether he met this condition (at least initially) is dependent upon the state statutes.

But, even if the four conditions above were met (and that is a big if), he did leave the home and then returned. Obviously that was why he is being charged. But, I wonder, if someone is in your home and your are outside - do you have no rights to protect your property? Are you just supposed to wait for the police to show up while he is free to roam your home? Sure you can call the police, but what if you are in a remote area?

This guy was an idiot to shoot someone in the shower. But, it does raise some interesting questions.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If I come home and find my door kicked in I'm calling 911 and letting them go inside first. Nothing in my house is worth killing or being killed over.
This right here. Whether or not I have a firearm in my hand has zero bearing on how I handle this situation.

Unless I have a loved on inside the house that may be in danger, I will be outside with my cell phone until armed police officers have cleared the building.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Could there be more to this story, does the homeowner have a wife and that was the wife's boyfriend flaunting himself in front of Joe the plumber. Whatever the real reason, it wasn't worth it for the homeowner.

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I got a feeling the shooters shower troubles are just beginning. Better hold on to that soap.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts