Defensive Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I once saw a knife that didn't seem to fit the definition of an auto knife. And now with assisted knives being legal in WA, I'm wondering if this one is legal.

The way it worked was the blade came straight out the front. There was NEVER any spring force on the blade, until you pushed a lever (button) forward to put tension on blade. At some point the blade shot out the front.

At this point there is no tension on blade.

Then to retract blade a reward operation of the lever put tension on blade the other direction, then the blade shot to the owed position.

It seems more like an assisted knife than an auto knife.

First, what type of operation is this?
Is it considered an auto knife?
If not is it legal in wa?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Sounds like a "gravity knife". Blade deploys when the release is activated and allows the blade to fall freely forward.

"Assisted opening" requires a manipulation of the blade by hand, then a spring pushes the blade into the deployed position.

"Automatic knife" uses a spring-activated push button release to deploy the blade into the open position.

I don't live in Washington so I have no knowledge of your state or local laws. There is a quilt-work pattern of laws without any rhyme or reason, and what is legal on one side of the street might be a serious offense on the other side of the street.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a "gravity knife". Blade deploys when the release is activated and allows the blade
Definitely not a gravity knife. It uses a spring but there is NEVER any tension on blade, until you apply it by pushing a lever. Same for closing. And it works in any direction. Gravity not a factor

Reactions: GWarden

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
I'm familiar with the type of knife you described, and first saw them in Spain in 1973. Definitely NOT a gravity knife.

I've been seeing them for sale at gun shows the last couple years.

No telling whether they're legal in your jurisdiction without doing some research. They might be legal at your house, and banned two doors down.

Rule #1: DO NOT trust Internet forums for legal advice!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Read the actual law.
It is clearly illegal in WA state.

There is never any doubt in the mind of the overlords, their decisions will always be on the side of the state, not the serfs

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Sounds like a "gravity knife". Blade deploys when the release is activated and allows the blade to fall freely forward.

"Assisted opening" requires a manipulation of the blade by hand, then a spring pushes the blade into the deployed position.

"Automatic knife" uses a spring-activated push button release to deploy the blade into the open position.

I don't live in Washington so I have no knowledge of your state or local laws. There is a quilt-work pattern of laws without any rhyme or reason, and what is legal on one side of the street might be a serious offense on the other side of the street.
The reason I don't carry a knife in this state other than a 3," pocket knife. Not even the cops know the law so they'll just charge you out of default. Only time I carry a fixed blade is in the mountains or woods.

Reactions: GWarden
1 - 9 of 9 Posts