Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
44,613 Posts
Capacity is the typical factor for HD, whereas concealment is more inline for carry.

Or one can do like I do, carry a Glock 30 with a 10-round mag but insert G21 13-round mag when at home.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Some fellers like owning more than one handgun and justifying that.

Right now I get by with my carry sized handguns but if I enjoy or want a full size, I'll probably pick it up (when the money and time comes) and write it off as "home defense".

For example, I enjoy shooting my father's SR40c but do not possess my own as I already have two EDC guns and feel comfortable for the time being with them. When I pick up an SR40c, I probably won't carry it outside of jacket weather with the compact mag (9rds) in. It will however always be delegated to home defense duty with the full size mag (15rds).

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Back-up is always a great excuse for the beautiful wife. :smile: Backup is a good idea always, especially at home.

Only as they can be afforded for sure. Never know when others in the home might need to be part of that backup.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
You don't need a different gun for each purpose. Where most people change is the attachment of a light for HD and maybe a laser/night sights for carry. Sometimes they use the sight radius argument, but home defense is not IDPA. If your basic skills are good to go, then a larger gun isn't going to make a difference unless you happen to live in the Playboy mansion and need to take shots from the back of the house to the front. Get a gun, get proficient with it and move on. Now if you want different guns for different uses, that's an entirely different matter and it won't matter what others say too much. Just my two cents on the issue.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I use a different gun for two reasons.

1- If I am not home, there is still a gun there for the wife. Its not like I have a shortage of firearms, and they arent very helpful in the safe, so why not have another one.
2- In warmer weather I carry a smaller gun. Why limit myself on capacity at home?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Back-up is always a great excuse for the beautiful wife. :smile: Backup is a good idea always, especially at home.

Only as they can be afforded for sure. Never know when others in the home might need to be part of that backup.
Rc, I don't think I can afford a back-up wife!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Your carry gun can easily serve as a HD gun, especially if you can't afford another. For those that can afford multiple guns, they may have a separate HD for a few reasons:
- Larger capacity than carry gun
- Want a WML for HD, but not on carry
- HD gun always at home in case you aren't and someone else needs it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I like having more than one gun, each in a different caliber. When 9mm was hard to find, 40 was plentiful. That allowed me to continue practicing and have self defense rounds readily available.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
not convinced home vs Carry

I'm still up and have an LCP in my pocket.

Attempting to convince me to do anything against my world view using felonious force will make the newspapers.

I, too, am not convinced.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Generally, what I carry during the day is what's ready at home too. But, those times I'm carrying a snubby or similar really small gun when out and about, I'll probably put that away and get out a double-stack auto at home.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I am not convinced I need a gun for my home separate from the one I carry. I carry a gun that comfortable too shoot and has stopping power. wouldn't that be obvious choice for the house.
I agree. It is nice to have higher capacity (and less concealable)but it is absolutely not necessary. My Glock 19 has always been my carry and home defense gun. Course I also have a shotgun at hand lol. But your carry and home defense guns being interchangeable is absolutely fine.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
So most people don't hide a backup or two around their home? If they have them.....

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
So most people don't hide a backup or two around their home? If they have them.....
Most people who own one or more guns or most people who own guns and just happen to be self defense aficionados?

Reactions: bill35738

·
Banned
854 Posts
Need vs. want is a very blurry line in the gun community! We can rationalize almost any want to justify it into a need.

Two handguns makes sense for all the reasons mentioned above, and we haven't even discussed shotguns or rifles. But ultimately, whatever you trust as a carry piece will be more than sufficient for HD as well.

Considerations: if you have a semi auto for carry, a revolver is a great HD choice. It's easy to operate, even for those who don't train a lot (or at all). There's really no reason not to have a revolver; even the capacity argument is largely hypothetical as you'd be hard pressed to find many examples of a homeowner needing more that 5-7 rounds to repel a home invasion.

A duplicate gun for HD and carry- same fire controls, same caliber, great backup if one fails (however unlikely). Another option and example- a compact or subcompact Glock (or whatever brand) for carry and a full size (same brand) in the same caliber at home. The full size mags will usually fit in the smaller gun. At a minimum, two guns in the same caliber as you will be prepared to use ammo interchangeably.

But the best reason for getting a second gun is because it's a second gun. And you can't have three guns without first having two. :danceban:

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I am not convinced I need a gun for my home separate from the one I carry. I carry a gun that comfortable too shoot and has stopping power. wouldn't that be obvious choice for the house.
Strictly speaking you probably don't "need" a different gun for HD than you use for CCW. However I do use different guns for each role. For CCW I carry as much gun as I can while still being able to conceal it well. For me this is an HK P2000, a great gun but still just a 3.5" barrel and 13 rounds of ammo onboard. At home I'm not limited by the need to carry and conceal the gun so why would I compromise at all? My primary HD handgun is an HK USPf9. It has a longer barrel, a 16 round mag and an Inforce APL. While the P2000 is a great sidearm the USP is a little bit more capable.

And of course, I don't rely solely on a handgun at home! If I could conceal an AR15 at the coffee shop or theater believe me, I would! Since I can't I carry a sidearm. In my own home I'm going to give myself every advantage, especially since I don't need to hump it around all day. If bad guys attempt a home invasion I will respond with an AR15 set up with an Aimpoint, a WML and 30 rounds of 70gr GMX ammo. Few handguns have that level of lethality and firepower. There's a good reason that soldiers carry rifles instead of sidearms. If I can't get to my real rifle my backup plan is my Beretta CX4 Storm carbine. It's 9mm too but has a 30 round mag, an RDS and light and a 16" barrel. The longer barrel adds a few hundred fps of velocity vs a pistol.

Aside from power a long gun is simply a lot easier to shoot well. I would challenge you to shoot any normal qualification course repeatedly, first with the handgun and then with a long gun. There's no question that the long gun is easier. It's faster to get hits and more precise due to having four points of contact with your body vs just two with a handgun.

I certainly don't think there's anything really wrong with having a sidearm for home defense but I can't imagine deliberately choosing one over a long gun like a shotgun or rifle if you have a choice.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Since the word "need" was used, I too agree there is likely no real need. Plenty through the ages have done fine with a single firearm. But, since it is easy to rationalize purchases, and since many of us don't require arm twisting to add to the collection, having numerous firearms is just easy and fun to do. I usually carry a smaller firearm than is the one on my nightstand at home, but I didn't make that conscious decision out of a sense of need - more just preference.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts