Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can my G23.4 shoot 40 Super? If so, what do I need other than probably a heavier recoil spring, is there some special 40 super barrel that is needed. Just did a little research on the ballistics of this caliber and all I can say wow, has the 10mm met it's match? Thanks.

EDIT - I did do a little research and found out a G21 is the only Glock Model that is compatible

·
Registered
631 Posts
A 40 super would be fun to shoot. I got bored last spring and converted a Glock 21 to 460 Rowland which is about the same energy numbers. I thought it would be a good woods gun, but it isn't 100% reliable, so I stick to my 44 mags, 357 mags and 10mms.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
The 40 Super and 9x25mm Dillon both intrigue me for some reason!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 40 super would be fun to shoot. I got bored last spring and converted a Glock 21 to 460 Rowland which is about the same energy numbers. I thought it would be a good woods gun, but it isn't 100% reliable, so I stick to my 44 mags, 357 mags and 10mms.
I think in another post you mentioned that your 460 Conv G21 was not 100% reliable but cannot recall what the problem was? FTE, light Primer Strikes, Failure to return to Battery? Could you share your experience, thanks...

·
Registered
631 Posts
It was having problems going fully into battery. little push on the back of the slide was all that was needed to get it to go that last 1/8th of an inch. Well I polished the feed ramp, put a little bit of a crimp on the rounds, and have about 300 through the gun now. With a firm grip it hasn't been having any problems. But I want to get a couple hundred more through it before id feel comfortable depending on it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was having problems going fully into battery. a little push on the back of the slide was all that was needed to get it to go that last 1/8th of an inch. Well, I polished the feed ramp, put a little bit of a crimp on the rounds, and have about 300 through the gun now. With a firm grip, it hasn't been having any problems. But I want to get a couple hundred more through it before id feels comfortable depending on it.
Thanks for the info... I went to the www.Rowland.com Website and their conversion seems simple enough. A heavier recoil spring, barrel, and muzzle break. They also recommend a heavier spring in your mags I think I read? The only thing that bothers me is they tell you to loctite the Break to the threaded barrel. I wonder how permanent the Loctite would be? If its permanent than they would take the allure of the versatility of the g21 in different caliber conversions.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thanks for the info... I went to the www.Rowland.com Website and their conversion seems simple enough. A heavier recoil spring, barrel, and muzzle break. They also recommend a heavier spring in your mags I think I read? The only thing that bothers me is they tell you to loctite the Break to the threaded barrel. I wonder how permanent the Loctite would be? If its permanent than they would take the allure of the versatility of the g21 in different caliber conversions.
I upgraded my magazine springs, haven't had any issues with feeding, as stated just that last 1/8th of an inch to go fully into battery. I had to take the compensator off once. I have a natural gas stove so evenly distributed the flame over it till I saw the locktite start to smoke, put a thick allen wrench through the compensator ports for leverage and it came off without any problems. There is also a screw on the comp that will secure it in place. If ya have any questions feel free to send me a message I can give ya my email, or communicate in here.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Just carry regular .40 in the woods. I sometimes do in lieu of my .357 Magnum. Should cover you all the way up to black bear, hogs..... . I've used .40 on critters with great success.

As far as anything bigger than black bear, i.e. Grizzlies, most other handguns will be about as equally ineffective as a .40! Maybe some of the big bore Magnum revolvers might give you a better chance, but probably by not much !!!!!

Don't got no griz down here, my .357' s and .40's suit me just fine for the gators, hogs, yotes, and black bear we got down here. That regular .40 should serve you for anything you encounter in Illinois. Might wanna load some FMJ's for critter penetration. I used to, but my HST 165 and 180's have worked well on our swamp dwelling critters down here. In fact, the outdoors, and the fact that I spend a lot of time outdoors, is one of the main reasons I choose .40 over 9mm!

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
There is the 10mm with 200 grain or 10mm mag. If it can't do the job that's when I go to the 44 mag and bigger.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ya, I don't think I'd want to use a 40 cal against a bear. 357 Magnum and 10mm is minimum in my book. Hence the 357s, 10mms, 44 mags, and 460 Rowland (when it gets broken in a little more).

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ya, I don't think I'd want to use a 40 cal against a bear. 357 Magnum and 10mm is minimum in my book. Hence the 357s, 10mms, 44 mags, and 460 Rowland (when it gets broken in a little more).

Southern bears aren't too much bigger than hogs. Some of our hogs are bigger than our bears.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ya, I don't think I'd want to use a 40 cal against a bear. 357 Magnum and 10mm is minimum in my book. Hence the 357s, 10mms, 44 mags, and 460 Rowland regardless of size.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I know in your neck of the woods I would definitely some comfort if I had confidence in my 460 Rowland because you do have Grizzlies. I used to live out in Washington State and there have been spottings by State Game Officials stating they appear to stay around the Canadian Border, Ross Lake, and East. In your neck of the woods, I have read reports of actual Grizzly attacks at or in around Glacier Ntl Park... I would feel much better if I had a Rowland on my waist and a Marlin Guide Gun on my shoulder if I did any fly fishing or hiking around your neck of the woods. How about Mt. Lion in Montana? We had many reports of Cat Sightings in Washington State. The Locals on the Peninsula told me it is the only predator in North America that will actually stalk and hunt you.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
If Grizzlies are fishing the same place that I am, I'd feel more confortable with a well-equipped team of Tactical...GUIDES!

That way I can concentrate on catchin' lunch rather than, uhhh, being lunch. :biggrin2:

As to your question, if it's a cool toy you're after, groovy. If not, IMHO, go mainstream. :image035:

Reactions: Rhodie2
1 - 15 of 15 Posts