Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for the perfect backpack gun and haven't came up with much...

Needs to be fairly light and under 600-700...

The keltec sub2000 in 40cal is about all i've came up with, priced decent too...i've owned 4 of these now but don't have warm squishy feelings about calling these reliable just yet.

Am I missing another gun? or should I try to make the best of what I have :blink:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
A Marlin .44 or .357 lever gun?

A Savage bolt action carbine?

Heck--a Moisin-Nagant M38 or M44...

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...can you find an old Marlin Camp Carbine in 9 or 45 or a Ruger Police Carbine in 9mm or 40...both are scarce...

...if you can bump the $$ up a bit, Beretta Storm Carbines are nice...

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
There are a fair number of carbines on the market.

What excetly are you looking for as far as caliber, action type, and weight.

Are you looking for a pistol caliber carbine specifically?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this point I'd do anything, 9mm, 45,40, 556, 762x39...I'd like a pistol caliber.

Semi auto would be nice, I've looked at the Chiappa pack rifle (22lr) but not a huge fan of single shot 22's

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...please ship them to my FFL in my name immediately, I haven't seen one in over 5 years...let my Marlin 9mm go and haven't bought the Beretta Storm Carbine in .45 yet...it WILL fit my backpack...I'm an old Marine and the only backpack I've ever owned is a big green seabag
...you've got some nice carbines!!!
I have all of the above :wave:

they don't fit IN the backpack

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
At this point I'd do anything, 9mm, 45,40, 556, 762x39...I'd like a pistol caliber.

Semi auto would be nice, I've looked at the Chiappa pack rifle (22lr) but not a huge fan of single shot 22's
...don't know a brand offhand but we ordered for someone once a .556 pistol...it was pretty short...I don't remember the price but it was almost 10 years ago...seemed like it was about 16"...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From marlin? I've seen one used 9mm and it was beaten and 600 bucks!
I haven't put a buffer in mine yet, guess I better read up on that.

...I've read that there are still available the recoil buffer pads (aftermarket) that will preserve them...the 9 I had didn't have one...

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
How about a Ruger 10/22 Takedown.

Just picked one up for my kid. Great little gun, and at 4.5 lbs its easy on the back.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
The armalite AR-7 (Henry makes one too iirc) is designed so it can all be broken down and fit into the stock. Its a semi-auto .22

Depending on your pack size something like a mini-14 with side folding stock, or a Hungarian AMD 65 might work. Both are fairly compact.

The big issue is the SBT issue, but, you could go that route.

Reactions: Superhouse 15

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The armalite AR-7 (Henry makes one too iirc) is designed so it can all be broken down and fit into the stock. Its a semi-auto .22

Depending on your pack size something like a mini-14 with side folding stock, or a Hungarian AMD 65 might work. Both are fairly compact.

The big issue is the SBT issue, but, you could go that route.
SBT? or SBR?

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
SBR's are a PITA with our tax on them.
Yes, they generally are.

What kind of effective range/accuracy are you looking for? I have a Draco I can easily hold a 9" paper plate with at 50 yards offhand all day long.

It would certainly fit in my Alice pack, but 100 yards is probably pushing its limited as it sits.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
+1 for the Kel Tec Sub 2000! I have had one in .40 for years. It has been 100% with any ammo I have put in it. Its very easy to carry and can easily put an entire magazine in a basketball sized target at 50 yds every time! The big advantage is it shares magazines with my Glock 35. So in my book they are a win/win!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts