Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How we doing today fellas? So i use to be a very active shooter, but due to unfortunate circumstances I had to sell all my fire arms and im finally in the position to buy one. I'm having alot of trouble picking between these rifles though, And i was hoping I could get some help from you guys. I'm stuck between these three brands; Windham Weaponry, CMMG and Bushmaster.
From the research I've done they all seem to be equal, but i would have for one to have something over the other two that I missed.
Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Windham: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...y+R16M4LHRFT+R16A4T+M4+Heavy+Semi-Automatic+2

CMMG:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...4LE+WASP-Treated+Barrel+SA+223+Rem5.56+NATO+1

Bushmaster: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...master+90289+XM-15+30+1+223REM5.56NATO+16"+A2

Also I dont know if i should ask this here, but im struggling to decide if i should get a hand gun or rifle first, what do you guys think? Also is the XDM worth the extra 100 dollars over the XD?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Of those three, I would probably go with the Windham. Windham is actually the maker of the original Bushmasters. I have a Bushmaster, and it is a pretty decent entry level AR. But......
I would also heavily consider an S&W M&P 15 Sport II or Ruger AR 556. Both can be had for right at $600 and both have excellent reputations.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first ar15 started out as a s&w sport I. would either of those two you suggested be good enough for SHTF if it happened like next month? I plan to build the rifle up, but i want the best platform to build off of for under $800.

edit to add links

I assume this is the ruger?
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog..._id/95081/Ruger+AR556+223+16.1+FLD+30R+BLKSYN

and heres the smith and wesson for anyone who wants to look at it.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...97/S&W+M&P+15+SPORT+II+.2235.56+16"+AS+BLK+30

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I also vote for the Sport. The title of your post was looking for help to "pick the right SHTF rifle". I think that answers your "handgun vs rifle" question. Also, you may still have plenty of ammunition/magazines left from the time you sold your original guns. Add a relatively inexpensive red dot and you have a better than decent SHTF rifle.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
If you plan to build it up be sure to get a rifle with a low profile gas block. Your options for front hand guards will be
more plentiful.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would there be anything i need to change out on the sport from the beginning for reliability? I'm not a big fan of the heavy barrel, but thats mostly because of looks. If im not mistaken it improves accuracy and reliability of the barrel?
My last one i ended up with because my step dad bought it for my mom, and she didnt like it so he re sold it to me, unfortunately it was a post ban model and within a month of owning the only thing still smith and wesson was the lower receiver, bolt and carrier. I happen to be good friends with my gun smith and he hooked me up on a great price to change just about everything. lol.
I really appreciate all the imput guys.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
What features are most important to you for the rifle?

What is the max distance you plan to shoot it regularly?

Are you planning on mounting an optic, or sticking with iron sights?

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
I've got about 5k rounds through my sport and it's never given me any problems. For the money it's just about the best one available. If you want to put a floating rail on it you can change the gas block for about 40.00.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mostly want a rifle that will go bang everytime and i can hit what I need to hit with it within reason .As of now my local range only has 100 yards of shooting distance if i remember correctly, so thats about it besides going to my step dads family land, which ill be able to shoot at any distance, so realistically about 100 yards. Its been about 2 years since I've shot anything besides a .22 so I want to retain myself with iron sites before I consider an optic. And as far as furniture going the only stuff I see myself adding to it besides a sight possibly is a forward grip and maybe a light at some point, so I would probably just magpul it out or add a a drop in rail system. Nothing to fancy.
Bama61, Buckeye. 45. aswell anyone else who doesnt say so on there account, Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bumping for updated information, after listening to you guys and other threads on here aswell as other internet research Its not between the S&W and the Ruger. I like the rugers barrel being 1;8 twist is that a huge difference from 1;9? and whats that thing on the front site?

I also like the pistol grip better on the ruger, but I'm a two-tone kind of buy so its not a huge deal since I'll be changing it out anyway at some point. It should be know i have small hands.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Out of those three, neither. I'd rather own a mid-length gas system rifle. Less wear and tear, less recoil, theoretically longer service life.

Look at the Aero Precision rifles. This company makes probably 40-50% of the AR parts on the market for a LOT of other AR companies. There stuff is good to go. Since they actually make most of the stuff in house, they can charge less when they sell it.

OEM MID-LENGTH 16" RIFLE | Brownells
AC-15 5.56X45MM NATO 16" MID-LENGTH RIFLE | Brownells

Or buy a lower, and then buy a completed upper, and go from there. That way you can pick out exactly what upper you want.

example of lower
PSA Blem AR15 Classic Enhanced Overmolded Complete Lower, Black - 77932138

example of upper
PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1:8 Stainless Steel Freedom Upper - with BCG and Charging Handle

As to pistol vs rifle, for a purely SHTF scenario, the pistol is MUCH more useful if you only own one. (you can conceal carry your pistol as you go about your daily activities. If you attempt to carry a rifle into town, you will be throw out of town, arrested, robbed, beaten or worse) Its generally recommended to get the pistol first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This why I hate gun shopping, so many stinkin choices lol, this Aero, specifically the one in the second link looks like a great deal, It should come out to about the same price as the Smith and Wesson or the Ruger after a rear sight and mag. I also like that I can pick my rear sight. I'm liking all the chrome line i see in the description. Am i missing any other pro's to this rifle over the Smith and Wesson and Ruger?

It should also be known I'm more or less window shopping on Buds, I'm hoping to buy locally and support my gun shop, but if there is a huge price difference or I cant find what im looking for I dont mind ordering it off line.

Is PSA good stuff? I dont know much about them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
recently got into AR's too. was on a budget and went with PSA. got a complete upper and a complete lower for less then $500. great rifle for the money. they are always having sales too. :image035:

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I would recommend you get an AK

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
M&P Sport II or AR-556 would be a better choice than the 3 you mentioned. FWIW, the new Remlin Bushmasters are NOT of the same quality of the older made in in Maine Bushmasters. The PSA Premium, FN, or Colt 6920 would be a step higher than the previously mentioned but are worth it, if it's in your budget!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ArmyGuyCarl and 5lima30ret thank you for your service! And while i would love to own a colt but my budge is 800 max. And if I were to spend more than that I would get a stag lefty, Im left eye dominant but dont want to pay the extra and have to worry about the not standard bolt and carrier, My old ar15 was right handed and I can live with it lol. While i do like ak47s its not the platform for me, had one when i had my ar15, I'm a little guy so weight is a concern for me.

I told myself I wouldnt do it but since PSA came up should I also look at DMPS, Del-ton, and other cheaper brands? I do like the look of the Core-15 two-tone olive drab and black ar15

·
Registered
782 Posts
Is PSA good stuff? I dont know much about them.
PSA sells some very good uppers, especially the Premium line. Made by FN Herstal. They are going to have chrome lined barrels with 1:7 twist. Get a premium bolt too. Any one of their lowers will serve you well. They can ship the upper and the bolt directly to your home, but the lower will have to go through an FFL. Don't forget a charging handle. Depending on which upper you choose, it should all come in well under $600 plus shipping and the FFL fee.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know it will be better quality and what not, but it kills me to pay that much for an upper when I can get the ruger or the S&W as a whole rifle for only 50 bucks more

1 - 20 of 44 Posts