Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, I have no idea why I just had to have it but I did. I was actually looking at 1911's but could not decide which one I wanted. I had to drive better than 50 miles to the gun store, I guess I didn't want to waste a trip. :embarassed:

Cute little thing though. (If a guy can say that about a gun)

I bought some CCI snake loads and some JHP in the 22mag. I am not sure exactly how tough snakes are, but in my brief testing this afternoon, only one pellet of the snake load was able to penetrate a 20oz plastic cola bottle from a distance of 15'.. The JHP did substantially better.

As I have read in my searching, the workmanship is excellent and the price was great for an impulse purchase!

Not actual pic, but looks like this one. Has both Magnum and LR cyl.

Any new gun is cause for celebration though right? Even the smallest ones? :danceban: I consider this more of a novelty, but I suppose can be a backup to a backup piece. Primary being G22, or S&W642 and the backup being a knife or a ball point pen, right??

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I carry mine as a last resort, or when nothing else is possible. Better than yelling "I'm calling 911" to fend off an attack.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Haha - well - and why not! :wink: Celebration? Of course!

I actually got mine beacause I decided ''gotta have one'' but they are cute and well made and - well, mine lives very frequently in a pocket as a sorta ''mouse BUG'' - with of course the stoked 22 mag cylinder.

I have shot it quite a bit and at close range it most certainly would grab attention :18: Reloads take some practice !

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
"Cute"? Sure, why not. Rocky's right. If you ever need it, it's a step up from a cellphone. I'd definitely carry it with the mags, though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have one that I have put quite a few boxes of .22 mag through. It is surprisingly loud, and accurate for what it is. My wife is a much better shot with it than I am though. My hands are just to big, and I cannot seem to pull the trigger without deflecting the muzzle a degree or two to one side.

These things are one of the reasons I want a NAA gaurdian in .380. The workmanship on everything NAA that I have laid my hands on is excellent.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
They Are Great

I love the little N.A.A. Mini Revolvers. :yup:

Congrats!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've had one for years, just the 22 LR version. I got one of NAA's fancy western belt buckles for it... just because I could, I guess. In the few times when I felt comfortable wearing it (when we were going to gun-friendly friends' places), everybody thought it was really neat. I've seen people carry them on necklaces and one guy I met on the way to Sturgis had one in the top little pocket of his bib overalls.
Neat little toys.. but they are still real guns and sure beat throwing rocks. Mine is one of the few guns I have that I wouldn't sell.
Just too much fun and too interesting.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I know an operator that wears one hanging around his neck. He's used it once and you will NEVER find him without one again. I be ever grateful for them lil NAA's cause my drinking budy drinks with me, not under me.

Steve

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
My brother-in-law is a deputy sheriff in Alabama and carries one like this in his front pocket everyday.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
for a last ditch gun, do you think the .22 mag is better or would the .17 hmr be useful? I know it has no weight but the speed? Which is best? And if you were going to buy one (and many of you have) would the longer barrel be significantly better than the short barrel or is the difference too little to notice? I'd also like to have one in the line up for the lowest extreme end of things...

God Bless
Gideon

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hmm. Didn't know they even made one in 17 HMR. Mine's 22 LR, just because that's what was sitting at the gun shop. I guess the 22 Mag has a bit larger frame.
The 17 HMR, while it's been looked at for use by Marshals on airplains (or so Hornady says), that is just not a lot of bullet. I really don't know what kind of penetration it would have on a large mammal.
Probably one of those things that could be debated forever. I'd rather drive a lead outside lubricated bullet than a smaller jacketed hollow point, but that's just me.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As small as the .17 bullets are I think I opt for .22mag, but I'm really curious about the .17HMR. Haven't heard much on the ballistics end but I keep hoping someone will do some informal testing like wet newsprint penetration along with expansion. Stephen Camp, where are you? LOL
Jack

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jack - strikes me that .17 is certainly impressive on small critters (viz - they explode!!) - but wonder whether the bullet's very low mass would, even when fragmenting, actually do enough damage in a large 'critter'. Doubt a bone contact would help any.

Add to this - that round out of a short barrel will of course lose a lot of it's velocity potential - as does .22 WMR.

Overall I reckon the .22 mag - which from NAA has a vel approximating that of .22LR from rifle (well over 1,000 fps) and a 40 grain bullet (or even 36) will have a definite edge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Neat little guns. I carry a .22mag. NAA Mini in a pocket holster everyday as an always gun. I get a real kick out of that little thing. It always gets crazy reactions at the range. One young guy held it up and in a girley voice said "Does this gun make my butt look big?". Ha ha... Then I let him shoot it and the muzzle blast almost made him drop it. :) He looked at me and said "It`s a noisy cricket!" (from the movie MIB). Heh heh. Marcus

·
Registered
790 Posts
LOL! I have fired mine quite a few times, but it was always outdoors, until my last range trip.

Well I had used up all of the 9mm I had brought along, except for the few it would take to reload my weapon. As I was packing up my gear, I noticed a box of .22 mag I had and thought about the NAA mini I keep in a pocket holster. The ammo in it was getting a bit old, and I hadn't practiced with it for a while. So I decided to shoot up all the .22 mag with me, then give it a good cleaning and some fresh ammo when I got home.
For some reason I didn't step all the way up to the firing line, before I popped off the first round between the booth walls. (The muzzle was only a few inches , maybe a foot at most behind the line) Even with hearing protection, the concusion startled me. After stepping out of my booth and seeing if anyone saw me do that, (yeah yeah, as if none of you guys have ever done that) I stepped up to the line and fired a couple more rounds. No problem. After a reload, I stepped back and set another one off. Again the concussion was pretty surprising. LOL! I hope to never have to fire it from inside a vehicle without hearing protection.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I've had mine for about 15 years. I keep it in my pocket (22LR version, std grip) when I can carry nothing else in the firm knowledge that to effectively employ it will require contact at the muzzle. Meaning I will have to likely jam it into the BGs eyeball or against his throat to have the desired effect. Unless I show it to himfirst as a warning to stop his committed attack and he laughs himself to death. This is not a deterrence firearm. I have mine stoked with tracers in three chambers. The 4th is a 22HP and the last of five is empty under the hammer. The hammer typically rests right against the round beneath it (no transfer bar here) so I carry like they did in the old west....well...mostly.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yours must be one produced before they introduced the "half cock" feature. In reality it is more like a 1/8th cock. Basiclly, you just pull the hammer back ever so slightly until you hear a click. At that point the hammer is locked and cannot be forced down onto a round. At the same time the trigger is locked and cannot be pulled in to release the hammer. If you carry it in a pocket holster, there is no way you you could set it off without drawing it and pulling the hammer the other 7/8's of the way back and then pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
GoodSamaritan said:
Yours must be one produced before they introduced the "half cock" feature. In reality it is more like a 1/8th cock. Basiclly, you just pull the hammer back ever so slightly until you hear a click. At that point the hammer is locked and cannot be forced down onto a round. At the same time the trigger is locked and cannot be pulled in to release the hammer. If you carry it in a pocket holster, there is no way you you could set it off without drawing it and pulling the hammer the other 7/8's of the way back and then pulling the trigger.
Correct. Mine does NOT have that feature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't know about yours, but mine has safety notches between the charging holes. The point being to load,pull back to the first click, then slightly pullback more, while depressing the trigger. This allows the hammer to rest in the notch, completely safe.

If your weapon is not so equiped, contact NAA, and they will rectify the problem at no cost, as per thier web site.

Hope this has been of help,

Blair

1 - 20 of 27 Posts