1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
595 Posts
Talking to multiple gun store counter people in Central Texas, it does appear that suddenly the libs have discovered what we all knew already, that the police may NOT come to the rescue, and oh boy, what a concept, are not even CHARGED with protecting the individual, only society at large, and are not even doing that when the ultra left politicians pull them back and allow the rioters to beat, burn, and destroy. Amazing how that works..... :oops:

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Some decided they were no longer content with the possibility of being a victim.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
This may be a blessing in the long run if they wise up and realize that who they vote for will make a difference as to if they can continue to protect themselves, however...the thought of something wearing skinny jeans with face tats and earlobes down to their elbows with a donut in them doesn’t sound that comforting :oops:

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Most of the folks I speak with are concerned with all the new and untested gun owners and if they will take the time to train and learn safe handling practices. Some are also quite convinced that there will be a glut of cheap guns on the market soon as things stabilize and the wandering sheep drift back into the herd. I kind of expect that as far as gun control goes, the liberal gun owner will continue to vote for it - now they have their guns.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I would not read too much into this. The Lib Left may be buying guns, But they have not given up the Idea of the Government deciding all the details of their lives!

So far in the CHOP, its only those Capitalists, and the young and dumb protesters that have gotten hurt! That is an area of high rent , and even higher home prices. wait till they try to move or sell, and they realize their investment is worth squat! Wait till they try to move out and the CHOP police take everything they have while trying to put it in a moving van. And The police won't do squat for them!
Those living through it may learn a lesson, But what are they learning in the Bronx? Or Portland, San Francisco, LA, etc......Maybe they need to see how bad it can get for awhile....The Left has been Fear Mongering for awhile now, Maybe we just need to let them see it!

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Liberal states does not necessarily mean liberal gun buyers across the board. I know conservative people in blue states who suddenly feel surrounded by idiots enough to get them to finally buy protection.
That was my take on it. More Liberals buying guns for self defense, or more Conservatives stuck in Liberal states that realize they have to defend themselves now that the police are being defunded.

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
If you take out the Portland Metro area and the two university cities, Oregon is a very conservative state. Unfortunately, those areas outvote the rest of the state, so we are a very liberal state. The State Police background check system is averaging a queue of around 2,000 waiting for approval for the last few months.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you take out the Portland Metro area and the two university cities, Oregon is a very conservative state. Unfortunately, those areas outvote the rest of the state, so we are a very liberal state. The State Police background check system is averaging a queue of around 2,000 waiting for approval for the last few months.

I feel for you. I grew up not far from Portland (out towards the coast, in a little logging town off of hiway 26). I cannot fathom living there and putting up with the abysmal Left laws and attitudes.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
@dangerranger Brother...using the term "learning" in the same sentence with those places is most definitely an oxymoron. Even if it doesn't meet the strict definition!

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
275 Posts
I live in one of the more conservative parts of the state. I agree whole heartedly with his statement. OryGun maybe blue, but it is a heavily armed blue.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
This is most likely not a surprise to us on this forum, as we are all about paying attention to our SA, both locally and nationally. But its nice to see some actual numbers.

Surge Of Concealed Carry Permits During Coronavirus Mainly Comes From Liberal States – Concealed Nation
The source study for the article was from Brookings. Given the very partisan ending statement I'm surprised they published it at all, and based on that I wonder if the data was "analyzed" in such a way to play down how much people in blue states are rushing to buy guns and carry.

Study here: How COVID-19 is changing the gun debate

Parting shot from the authors: "Anti-lockdown protesters are overwhelmingly conservative and white. Protests from Michigan to North Carolina are laced with right-wing and racist slogans and images such as dolls hanging from nooses, Nazi propaganda, and confederate flags. It seems anti-lockdown protests to express the 1st and 2nd amendments are masks for racism and the pursuit of an America that once was. This is a pattern we all should worry about."

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
In Michigan, you take the 4 counties around Detroit who are UAW voters, and one Upper Peninsula county (all one district) that has mining unions, the regional hospital unions, a university full of liberal culture and the largest school district (5 districts full of teacher unions) and the rest of the state votes red. Add East Lansing, the leftist mecca, and that is 6 blue to 77 red.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
My thoughts:
  • If a lot of these new gun owners/CCL people are liberals, it stands to reason that a significant percentage of new gun owners are moderates/independents/libertarians, those people we rarely talk about who actually decide elections nowadays. I think them buying guns is more likely to sway their votes on gun control that liberals buying guns, so in that aspect, the recent gun buying boom is a good thing.
  • Even for the liberals who buy guns, we have to realize "liberals" are not one homogeneous unit any more than "conservatives" are. I think these recent troubles have shown a lot of division in the ranks of the broad term of "liberals." Even the ones who are value signalling probably still hold more traditional views. So while newbie gun owning/CCL liberals may still support some gun control, but they may still push back on control of CC.
  • Politicians pay attention to the numbers of gun owners, especially new gun owners and the number of CCLs, in their assessment of what their constituents will and will not support. The numbers alone make a difference.
  • These new gun owners/CCLs may, or may not, get adequate training. But we have to be fair and admit a lot of conservative, traditional gun owners/CCLs haven't and don't either. Yet people without training still manage to defend themselves every year.
  • As far as their being a glut of barely used firearms on the market in the Fall, I am skeptical about that. There may have been something to it when the cause of gun buying and CCL application was only the pandemic. But now we have civil unrest, the likelihood of another pandemic spike in the Fall and the specter of more riots, no matter how the election turns out. We will continue to have unemployment, which is associated with rises in crime. I think anyone who had the good sense to jump into gun ownership and go through the bureaucracy of a CCL application recently is going to realize that the gun(s) they bought are worth keeping around.
  • If we really believe in the following: the RTKABA, guns are needed to fight tyranny in all its forms, people have a right to SD with legal, lethal force and the idea that we need to start to find things that unite us rather than divide us, I say these new guns owners are welcome into the community as long as they follow the rules, just like any group of gun owners.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts