Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks - exploring our extra curricular (with respect to CCW) interests. :wink:

One or two mentions have been made here and there of T/C Contenders - and so thought I'd see how many fans here, if any!! Can't remember covering these before - if so apologies!

I have just the one frame - original Contender. My fave by far is the .223 barrel and that is usually how it stays set up - makes good use of the round even as factory - tho in theory reloads to suit are better. Total tack driver and sometimes I swear - it shoots tighter than my Ruger 77 MkII in .223.!

With the .44 mag barrel it is also great fun - but because I have other .44 mag platforms that one is not used a whole lot.

I have not yet even dirtied up the 45/.410 barrel I picked up a while ago.

Must say - the Pachmeyr grips and forend are a treat - feels excellent.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
i have a Encore but no pistol barrels its in 45/70 and i have a Tc hawken

Thought about getting a pistol Frame and maybe a 257 or somethign like that for it ..

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have remembered Bud - indeed you had mentioned I think.
but no pistol barrels, its in 45/70
Well - 45/70 - that's a pistol round LOL!! :evil: :18:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
yeah but years ago when i bought mine i didnt buy a pistol frame so till i get a new one im stuck with just rifle barrels

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
Well...everyone has seen the picture of my SS Contender.

So far, I have 5 barrels, all stainless

.22 Match 14"
. 223 10"
7x30 Waters 14"
.44 Mag 10"
.300 Whisper 12"

Cant think of anything else I "need" for the Contender.

It is very accruate in all calibers.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya Bud - was partly funnin' ya! :smile:

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Haven't shot a Contender in years. In the 1970s, when I lived in Alaska, I had three:

1. .357 Herrett 14" (IHMSA Unlimited gun).
2. 7mm TCU 10" (IHMSA Production gun).
3. SSK Industries .375 JDJ 14" (Hunting gun).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a 14" barreled 30-30 in the early 80's that I used for IHMSA Unlimited. Bought an XP-100 in 7mm International and my scores tripled, so I sold the Contender.

Wish I had kept it though, it was a lot of fun.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
T C Contender

I can honestly say that the TC Contender is the first "Handgun" I ever met that I just didn't like at all...I had one for a while in .22 LR.
It was a SUPER Accurate "shooter" but, I could just not force my hand to get "used to" the odd grip angle OR the configuration of the grip.

It reminded me of a flintlock dueling pistol or a blackpowder firearm made before the gun makers finally figured out exactly how to properly design a handgun around the human hand. At least MY hand anyway.

That was why I dumped mine.
Maybe if I owned a few additional heftier caliber barrels to go with it...I would have appreciated it more for what it was capable of...but, (for me) it was a serious case of Irreconcilable Ergonomics that made it go Bye~Bye.:gah:

OK...I'm ready...:argue: ~~~~~ :rofl:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a G2 Contender. The barrels I own are .17HMR, 30-30, .45/.410, all 14". I use a Millit red dot on the .30-30, and a Nikon EER 2.5-8x on the .17HMR.

I think the .17HMR is the most fun barrel for a Contender. Its a shame I cant bring the thing to the golf corse. That might make for a good Caddyshack sequal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Those things are just stupid....

......IN AN AWESOME WAY!
I shot a .45-70 pistol one time and I seriously thought I was going to have to have an arm transplant. The guy who had the pistol brought a "roadie" with him so that after everyshot, the kid ran over to the box and hosed all the gun powder off the walls and off the dudes glasses.......INSANE.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have an original Contender in .44 Mag. I'd like to get either a .300 Whisper or 7 X 30 Waters or a .30-30 for it, but haven't had the money. Anyone know of good places to pick up Contender barrels?

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
I have an original Contender in .44 Mag. I'd like to get either a .300 Whisper or 7 X 30 Waters or a .30-30 for it, but haven't had the money. Anyone know of good places to pick up Contender barrels?
Ebay

just type in "'Contender barrels"
sometime you can get them cheap.

Another that Ive got some killer deals on is "Graybeard Outdoors",they have a classified section just for contender barrels. I got a stainless .44 barrel for $ 125 there.

click here for the Contender Section:
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=81&sid=714879db1908deb7650e06d7c14ab48c

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hunt with mine when ever I get a chance,, OLD frame, I think it ws a lunch box speacil, at one time.
BBl's
45 Win mag
30-30 Win
25-35 Win
222 Rimmed
358 Alpo
and a 50-70 carbine with arrester brake

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TonyW - yep - Gunbroker can be a source of barrels and - sometimes gun shows have a selection at lower prices. Common price seems around $200 - but if lucky they can be down to $150-$160.

I still want just the one more - the ''thuddy-thuddy'' - the 45-70 will have to go by the board I think as the BFR does that fun job! :smile:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
45-70 will do that too HG - :smile: :evil:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts