Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found on the way to someplace else on an internet search.

From days of yore, a compact .45 with DAO trigger in ... like 1977!

American Handgunner devoted an entire feature article to its introduction.

I don't recall ever hearing of mention of the pistol or its designer and I was a vocifirous consumer of gun rags in 1977.

I strayed into reading about the Thomas after reading the previous article on the first Python.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@bmcgilvray I watched "BOTH" those videos Ian put out a week or so ago on this pistol! Some interesting ideas on design! BUT, "MISERABLE TO SHOOT"! His second video has a range day with one, & "he DID NOT like it"! I think Thomas was a "good engineer WITH poor understanding of SOME things going on AFTER the trigger is pulled"! 😂 I liked the "compactness of it, AND FOR SURE the caliber"! ALL the rest (action design), while "DEFINITELY outside the box", SUCKED!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I read the article and I didn't see anything about a locking mechanism. I do like the inclusion of a grip safety. However, In this picture, it looks like it is a blowback. If so, I suspect that it would be miserable to shoot.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I don’t want a gun that is miserable to shoot. I like that it’s a single stack and it’s a bit retro looking, but hey...if it’s miserable to shoot don’t want to get any of it on me. Interesting article, only 600 made. But still if it’s miserable to shoot It’s now a rock.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I read the article and I didn't see anything about a locking mechanism. I do like the inclusion of a grip safety. However, In this picture, it looks like it is a blowback. If so, I suspect that it would be miserable to shoot.
It was ACTUALLY a month ago! Time fly's when you're a "cofu refugee"! 😂 Detailed description of "action".

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I don’t want a gun that is miserable to shoot. I like that it’s a single stack and it’s a bit retro looking, but hey...if it’s miserable to shoot don’t want to get any of it on me. Interesting article, only 600 made. But still if it’s miserable to shoot It’s now a rock.
You can ALLWAYS do what I do! :p

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now if we could do a Smith & Wesson .45 Shield in all forged steel, ditching the plastic, we'd have us somethin'!

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to keep up better with "Forgotten Weapons" if this was recent. I only infrequently encounter them when I'm looking someplace else.

Reactions: Tstone and Pete63

·
Registered
36,177 Posts
My CZ-82 is a blow-back action, and I often hear complaints of it being snappy--due to its action--and now miserable? I find neither complaint to be true.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
I was still shooting gov't 45's then; don't ever remember hearing or seeing a "Thomas" .45. Very interesting, thank you!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Pretty interesting stuff though ...... the concept and design was different, and honestly likely to invoke a wide range of opinions.

It's one I'd never heard of; thanks for sharing it Brian, the education was worth my time.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My shooting-skills mentor had a Thomas.
After I'd given it a thorough examination, I thought it was an interesting solution to the problem of making a locked-breech mini-pistol that would deliver fight-stopping power.
I never got to shoot it, but my mentor told me that, in truth, it was not the good solution that it seemed to be. He wouldn't shoot it either, and, finally, he sold it, I think to a collector.

Compared to other .45 ACP mini-pistols, for instance the AMT .45 Backup or the Semmerling LM-4, the Thomas wasn't small enough, and, my mentor said, it was extremely disconcerting—even painful—to shoot.

My Semmerling LM-4 is too pocket-lint sensitive to be reliable, and it is finicky about its ammunition, demanding soft-primer cartridges for dependable BANGs. But, oh my, it has a great trigger action, and it's extremely accurate. Also, it's the tiniest .45 repeater I've ever come across.
My AMT .45 Backup has a too-awful trigger action for accuracy at anything but close-up self-defense distances, but it is as reliable as a Rolex watch. It's just a little larger than the Semmerling LM-4. It was my choice for pocket carry, for almost 20 years. (Arthritis put an end to that.)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@1911a I was too enamored of this, to have eye's for ANY other 1911 subcompact. Carried it for about 20 years, & it's retired to the safe now. Reliable, & actually pretty "easy shooting"! ALL stainless does that! Now, it's replaced with an XDs.
download (9).jpg

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Pete63: I've got something like that too, built for me before there was a 1911 Officers' Model. But I did a lot of acting on stage (in community theater), so I needed something that would just slide into my pants pocket and disappear. The Officers'-Model-size 1911 was just too large for that.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Pete63: I've got something like that too, built for me before there was a 1911 Officers' Model. But I did a lot of acting on stage (in community theater), so I needed something that would just slide into my pants pocket and disappear. The Officers'-Model-size 1911 was just too large for that.
NOT a Colt, Sir. Smaller! Detonics Combat Master. AND IT WILL fit in my jeans pocket. (doing that of course prints a little. But I had a way of masking that) I had a minimalist leather slide holster, for typical BUG carry.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
NOT a Colt, Sir. Smaller! Detonics Combat Master. AND IT WILL fit in my jeans pocket...

Ah, yes...
Now that you call my attention to it, its rear-sight location marks it as a Detonics.
But it would've still been too big to carry in my pocket on stage. It's shadow, under the bright lights, would've given it away to the audience.
And, for pocket carry, I much prefer a DAO trigger action and no safety lever.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I
How very true. One of these days, I will post up a photo of the remaining parts after mine went kaboom.
I have a Shield 45. What caused yours to kaboom?

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Miserable and painful to shoot is a pretty accurate description of the Kel Tec PF-9 I once had! A S&W Model 29 w/ 2 3/4" bbl in .44 mag was pleasant in comparison!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts