Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anybody that happens to remember, my history with guns really started last December. Had shot 20 rounds or something with my brother-in-law, but really knew nothing, other than an interest and a thought that the world (and local) situation was making me believe it was about time. Then a shooting that occurred within a block of our church (where we were at the time, working late on a project), prompted my wife to comment that maybe it was time for a gun. Didn't figure that would happen.

Took a handgun class (not required in GA, but a good idea nonetheless, in my opinion) in January.

Got my Weapons Carry License in February.

Joined a local to my work range in March.

Had to wait a bit to actually get a gun (some other family financial things were going on with a mortgage refinance, etc.), but I did manage to shoot pretty regularly, trying different things.

Narrowed down to a Springfield XD Mod.2 9mm subcompact. Shot a rental a good bit. Lots of you provided good advice in my (long) thread "Newbie advice - what to try next" where I was trying to pick a first gun.

Anyhow, went Wednesday to get my new toy. They were out of them. Grrrr. Wasn't sure when more would show up.

Then it dawned on me that they had another location not that far out west of town. Called them, and they had one.

Took a long lunch and here it is.

IMG_0709.jpg

Haven't gotten to fire it yet, but stripped and cleaned tonight and am working on carry comfort. I got a Vedder Holster's Lighttuck that I'm pleased with so far. I've been surprised at how well it really does disappear under just a tucked in shirt. I really didn't think I could pull that off, but I think it will work.

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
Congrats!

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the club. However you can't have just 1. They get lonely and like lots of friends.
Yeah, I'm afraid there is already a list... need ammo and practice first, though.

And wife has some interest in learning, so depending on where that goes, there may be cousins (other guns for her)...

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
The mod 2 is a great gun. I have one in .45 ACP.

Now what you need is a good belt - I use a wilderness instructor belt with a nylon stiffener - and a good holster. For IWB I use a Nelson Stealth holster - most comfortable IWB holster I have ever used. For OWB Nelson Wrangler or a Wright Leather Predator is what I recommend.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Congrats. Thank goodness they put "grip zone" on it for you, otherwise (as a newb) you may have tried to hold it by the barrel............:danceban:

·
Super Moderator
19,378 Posts
Make sure you get some more magazines... I think a minimum of 4 is good. When you carry you'll have one in the gun and at least one spare on your person, then you want a couple more in reserve at home.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mod 2 is a great gun. I have one in .45 ACP.

Now what you need is a good belt - I use a wilderness instructor belt with a nylon stiffener - and a good holster. For IWB I use a Nelson Stealth holster - most comfortable IWB holster I have ever used. For OWB Nelson Wrangler or a Wright Leather Predator is what I recommend.
Well, have a good belt... One of Mike's from ABetterBeltUSA.com that I've had a couple of months... really like it, and now that I've had a gun hanging on it, I can even more see it's worth.

Have the Vedder and so far am pleased. As a newbie, the fact that it is adjustable in a lot of directions (cant, height) is nice. Let's me try some different things and learn what works better for me. I think it will let get a good start and probably choose better down the road if I feel the need. So far, honestly my only issue is sitting in a chair... Got to play with placement a bit more.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You have to think...family! Good job, dude.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Congrats on the new gun and taking the next step toward protecting you and yours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Congratulations on the new unit, and the newfound responsibilities. Thank you, for standing up and taking charge of your own safety and security. We need another 100M people just like you, doing much the same thing.

Glad to see your family is on board with this, as well. Can make all the difference in the world.

Be safe. Keep learning.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Great now get your AR and a 1000 Rds. to have fun at that range. :35::AR15firing::spankme:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Congrats, enjoy, and now get your wife one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
no wheelgun love here? they may be impractical for daily carry in inhabited areas but ruger single actions are joys to shoot at a leisurely pace. if you can afford it get a ruger blackhawk convertible 357/38/9. or better yet, start down the 22 plinking trail sooner rather than later with a ruger single six 22lr/wmr. a heritage roughrider 22lr/wmr is perfectly ok for less than half the cost of a ruger. 22wmr handgun specific defense ammo is credible for protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
632 Posts
Congratulations! Your story sounds a lot like mine. Beware. The others are telling you the truth. I am now the proud and happy owner of eight handguns and two rifles. My ninth handgun was ordered through my LGS two days ago, and I'm awaiting its arrival.

Buy a safe. A big one!

Reactions: RolandD
1 - 20 of 39 Posts