Defensive Carry banner

Now The Wait Begins

3K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  The Box 
#1 ·
Getting a CC permit in parts of North Carolina can be a 6-8 month ordeal! First of course is finding a class that fits your schedule and getting a reservation... at least a month and maybe two. After getting the certificate depends on the county of residence... where I live you have to call ahead to make an appointment to apply for the concealed carry permit after completion of class. You must have the certificate number in order to made the appointment. I took the class on October 31st...yes Halloween... it was on a Saturday this year.. the only class I could find within a reasonable distance that I could do the class and range all in one day. Called the Sheriff dept. on Monday November 2nd and was told first available appointment January 5th 2010... two months away. After talking to some friends was informed you can call the Sheriff office and asked if they have any cancellation that you may move up the list.. of course was not informed of this when I called to make the appointment!! I called several times a week and finally given an appointment on December 9th almost a month earlier that what I received earlier. The sheriff's dept. was no problem very simple and straight forward...sign more papers and finger prints. Now I wait up until 90 days to get a post card notice after background check to come and pick up permit. From what my friends experiences have proven it will be at least 85 days none has received theirs any earlier. Since I started in earnest to get my CC permit it will be a 6 month process. It is our 2nd amendment right but they put you through it to obtain one. :aargh4:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm always surprised when I hear how long the wait is in other areas. I took the class, filled out the application, got finger printed and had my plastic in the space of two weeks. My renewal was even faster. 2 days and that was because the deputy in charge was sick.

#3 ·
You must be from Mecklenburg county then. I know a couple of guys that it took them forever to get their permits. I got mine in 6 weeks from the date of application, but I'm in Cabarrus. My friends in Iradell county got theirs in 4 or 5 weeks.

Good luck to getting yours though! It is well worth it!

#8 ·
In Colorado it took me 9 weeks after applying to get my permit.They did do a backround check on me as several people told me they were notified. I then ordered a Fist IWB holster to find out I have to wait 2 more months to get it. I guess there are so many people getting ccw permits that the good holster manufactures cant keep up. Fist didnt say in there add anything about a 2 month wait:nutkick:

#10 ·
I'm in Cabarrus. Seems like CCW classses are everywhere. Cost is all over the board too.

I registered for a Saturday class the week before and then took me another week to get into the Sheriff's office to apply. Then 3 weeks to the day, they called me to tell me my permit was ready.

#17 ·
Kind of reminds me of the old days when it was a “can issue” instead of a “shall issue”.

In those days if you knew the sheriff or some high ranking person in the department the permit process took about five minutes.

If you didn’t then the permit application, classes, and investigation could take up to two years. And even then they were more likely to turn you down than to approve.

Glad to see your putting up with the process. It’s worth it in the end.

#18 ·
It is our 2nd amendment right but they put you through it to obtain one.
NC Constitution - Declaration of Rights: (emphasis mine)

Sec. 30. Militia and the right to bear arms.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice.
While I did have to wait a couple months for a class opening, I walked into the Sheriff's office the day after, filled out some paperwork, gave my fingerprints and paid my money. One week later I got a call to come pick it up. Clearly not every county in NC is equally supportive of the privilege.

#19 ·
Dang, 6-8 months? Well, it's taking longer here too, but not like that. I'm keeping track on how long it takes for my female friend to receive her permit and I'll post it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.