Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Hopefully they'll come up with a workaround for the generally poor interaction between a long beard and a negative pressure respirator.

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Beards don’t work well with oxygen masks on aircraft either and you try to done a sweep-on mask over a turbine you may just end up with a face full of turbine instead.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Beards don’t work well with oxygen masks on aircraft either and you try to done a sweep-on mask over a turbine you may just end up with a face full of turbine instead.

Come man your moderator here You think we are going to give them a PLANE???
You meant working on one sorry

·
Registered
898 Posts
What they are not telling you is ( now this is top secret ) we are marking them and they don't know it yet. So keep your eyes open

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
So muslims and sikhs can have beards and head scarves for religious purposes but the army will prosecute a soldier for having a paraphrased bible quote on their desk?

Has anyone seen Scanners? Cuz my head is about to explode.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I have a feeling that policy will change when Gen Mattis takes the reins as SECDEF! :35:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I honestly fail to see what the fuss is about.

I spent the better part of a decade in an army that derives it's traditions and uniform regulations from the British Regimental system. Sikhs (the folks that are required by their religion to wear turbans - and are very definitely NOT muslim) have had beards and have worn turbans while in British military uniform since the 19th century. If you want to see an example of what the Sikh warrior mindset is about, look up the battle of Saragarhi. 21 Sikh soldiers fought to the death against 10,000 Afghan tribesmen because they didn't feel like surrendering. (as an interesting bit of trivia, 600 Afghan bodies were recovered from that battlefield)

Sikhs wearing turbans have fought and died side-by-side with my forefathers. Sikh blood was spilled in the cause of freedom on the Western front in World War I. Sikhs fought and died in Malaya, Burma, and Italy in WWII.

When I was on active duty, I can recall that in the appropriate section of the uniform regulations, there were specific instructions (and diagrams) for the wearing of turbans, and the correct method to affix insignia onto the front of the turban. Yes, I understand the concept of "uniform" - and that it is perfectly appropriate for every soldier to be uniformly in compliance with the uniform regulations.

As an interesting aside, my military service also included people other than Sikhs being authorized to wear beards. As a recognition of the incredibly hazardous trade they had chosen to take on, Assault Pioneers were permitted to wear beards. For those of you that aren't familiar with the term, those guys are the members of an infantry battle group specifically tasked with clearing enemy obstacles under fire during a deliberate attack. Kinda like these guys:

I figure that is there is over 100 years of precedent for Sikhs displaying courage and loyalty while shedding their blood while wearing a turban, then there shouldn't be any reason that the same thing can't happen in US military service.

·
Registered
290 Posts
and the public is going to be shocked when we need our military to kill our enemy and they're conflicted about it...

(((facepalm)))

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
And the first two women in a Marine infantry unit coming at you now. Can you imagine them assaulting Iwo Jima or Peleliu?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I have a nephew who is a Airborne Ranger. He trained for Delta. He said they were all old guys (40 would be old to him) with beards. He didn't make it. They told him to come back in about 5 years.

I can see special forces blending in with the locals but not state side.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I have meet several Sikhs and if they commit to being a soldier or police officer, they will give their all to each profession. Will a beard and long hair/turban interfere with some equipment? Undoubtedly. But they would be an asset rather than a detriment.

·
Super Moderator
18,143 Posts
I don't like to wear hats...they pull whats little left of my hair out.

Can I get an exemption? No hats for me.

And being "uncovered" means I don't have to salute anymore right?

Where does it end? :ahhhhh: :nono: :hand44:

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I have a nephew who is a Airborne Ranger. He trained for Delta. He said they were all old guys (40 would be old to him) with beards. He didn't make it. They told him to come back in about 5 years.

I can see special forces blending in with the locals but not state side.
The Delta guys and some of the Special Operations Units often have to deploy on extremely short notice and the mission may call for "blending in" and its hard to grow long hair or a beard on short notice. Just my .02 worth:smile:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.