1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
And this is why I dont support or belong to them

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Unless I am reading it wrong then they seem to have it right. It sounds like they agree that a person on the 'watch list' should receive extra scrutiny when trying to buy a gun but that outright denial for being on the list is unconstitutional. That's pretty logical to me.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Here is a link to their statement: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160615/nra-statement-on-terror-watchlists

And the crux of their statement:

Anyone on a terror watchlist who tries to buy a gun should be thoroughly investigated by the FBI and the sale delayed while the investigation is ongoing. If an investigation uncovers evidence of terrorist activity or involvement, the government should be allowed to immediately go to court, block the sale, and arrest the terrorist. At the same time, due process protections should be put in place that allow law-abiding Americans who are wrongly put on a watchlist to be removed.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Unless I am reading it wrong then they seem to have it right. It sounds like they agree that a person on the 'watch list' should receive extra scrutiny when trying to buy a gun but that outright denial for being on the list is unconstitutional. That's pretty logical to me.
This always happens when I just read the title and not the article. You'd think I'd learn.

Still, slippery slope and all that.

The last thing I want is for the President, whoever he or she may be, to be able to pick a group of people not to like, and stick them all on a list of suspicious people. So those people can have their gun purchases delayed, their speech delayed, their right to a fair and speedy trial delayed. Nope.

·
Registered
973 Posts
They didn't really fold, they said they should be investigated further. Of course give them an inch and they'll take a mile. Still not a good thing because the government can put anyone they want on the list and make them prove they aren't a threat. That means you me or anybody. Plus this regime considers those like us the terror threat, not Islamist.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Yeah, at first when I read the headline I was worried, but the actual proposal is not the disaster it might be.

Basically, if I understand it right, if the background check reveals that one is on a terrorist watch list, it holds the approval for up to three days, during which time the Feds may (or may not, I suppose) investigate further. As long as the sale MUST go through after three days, it's not that bad.

Now, some (like me) feel that any background check at all is unconstitutional, and from that perspective I hate to see it expanded. But, since we have background checks anyway, this doesn't really change anything. Now, actual denial of a purchase based on the list? That's flat unacceptable, and that WOULD drive me away from the NRA.

Reactions: nlyric and Phaedrus

·
Registered
319 Posts
I really wish people would actually read the articles that they link and put out as gospel before they start throwing folks under the bus! The NRA said that any one on the terrorist watch list that tries to buy a gun deserves to be investigated and have the sale delayed. How is that folding? I swear that some people need to have drama in their lives just to have some thing to complain about!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Delayed how long?
That's a good question. They can already delay a sale for 3 days to further "investigate" something. If that that time line is still 3 days than what the NRA is saying is use the current system as it exist.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I really wish people would actually read the articles that they link and put out as gospel before they start throwing folks under the bus! The NRA said that any one on the terrorist watch list that tries to buy a gun deserves to be investigated and have the sale delayed. How is that folding? I swear that some people need to have drama in their lives just to have some thing to complain about!
The big issue with the terror watch list, or no fly list, is that it is almost impossible to get your name cleared. And plenty of people are on those lists simply because they share the same name, lived at the same address, or are related to a legit terrorist. There's no clear due process for US citizens on the matter. Most don't find out until they try to travel, often times not until they are going through TSA security.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Stupid Headlines. I'm getting tired of the headlines saying something completely different than the article. Or the article twisting the original quote.

I think that I could be for a delay of approval if you're on the terror watch list. But, with a time limit. Nothing back from NICS in 3 days and it's up to the dealer what he/she wants to do; he's free to sell. But there MUST be a time limit on the delay. If they can't figure something out in 3 days, then they're not doing their jobs.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts