Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the NRA have a lawyer program if a situation arises where I need one after an encounter with a bad guy? Anyone actually have experience with a situation where they had to use lethal force and went through all the legal stuff after?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lawyers an d ccw

I found this on a local blog
MARYLAND GUN LAWS CONCEALED WEAPON FIREARM ATTORNEYS KNIFE DEFENSE ILLEGAL CARRY PRINCE ANNE BALTIMORE

By*asris

MARYLAND CONCEALED WEAPON & FIREARM OFFENSE DEFENSE

MARYLAND CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEYS

DEFEND CLIENTS CHARGED WITH CONCEALED WEAPONS & FIREARM CHARGES IN MARYLAND

If a person carries a concealed weapon in Maryland and does not have a permit to do so, then the carrying of a concealed weapon without a permit is a violation of law in most cases. In the event you are ever faced with a Maryland criminal charge for carrying a weapon (gun, knife, etc.), contact us right away so that we may assist in your defense. If you wish to obtain more information about weapons offenses in Maryland, please contact our office via*e-mail*or by filling out our*on-line form*. The Maryland law offices of SRIS, P.C. have a number of excellent Maryland concealed weapon attorneys & firearm offense lawyers with offices in*Rockville and Annapolis*.BALTIMORE, MARYLAND :Inner Harbor Center400 East Pratt Street, 8th FloorBaltimore, MD 21202Phone: (240) 399-0304ROCKVILLE, MARYLAND :*One Research Court, Suite 450Rockville, Maryland 20850Phone: (240) 399-0304

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does the NRA have a lawyer program if a situation arises where I need one after an encounter with a bad guy? Anyone actually have experience with a situation where they had to use lethal force and went through all the legal stuff after?

The NRA does not have a prepaid legal program, though they do offer the Locton-Risk insurance product, which provides some protection after the fact. However it, like all the other legal programs except one, only pays benefits AFTER your case has been successfully adjudicated....that means when you have been found not guilty or acquitted. In the meantime, you will be funding your own defense, which may coast you everything you have.

The only program that gives you money up front, to fund your defense IMMEDIATELY, and offers a network of qualified attorneys in every state, as well as providing boots on the ground response to your situation if needed, is the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. You can Google them for the link. The Texas Law Shield does similar service, but only in Texas, so if you travel or don't happen to live there, you may want something else. I see that TexasSlinger is in Houston, butother readers may want the info too.,

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Actually sort of...but not really...

Its company that is reimbursed through the NRA foundation called Second Call Defense.

http://www.secondcalldefense.org

Neat thing about this program is unlike other CCW insurance programs that only pay out if you win. SCD will supply the money upfront. In the fine print of most insurance they don't cover intentional acts. Shooting somebody in self defense is an intentional act! The whole point of this program is when you call you get an actual lawyer on the phone immediately. You initially might get a lawyer in Ohio, but part of the program is they will find you a lawyer in your area that knows your particular system. Initially, they will calm you down, then give you legal help on the phone, find out where your going, help with the bail, then help find a lawyer in your area. Also, as a member of Second Call Defense you have access to their legal Webinars. They are very good. Plus its very cheap, the basic package is only $8.95 a month.

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/plans-and-pricing

Second Calls Philosophy is that 911 is for one purpose (summon help) after that hang up and call Second call, this occurs obviously after the encounter.

First thing the lawyer will do will run through a 4 square breathing exercise to help calm you down, then find out where you are going, if you are going to jail, and secure bail money for your immediate release. Standard bail is $10,000.

Also if your a businessman, I believe they have a recruiting program which they will pay you to recruit.

·
Registered
46,054 Posts
Check out US Lawshield.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I believe CCW Safe also covers up front (rather than as a reimbursement).

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
I'm curios any particular reason?
Take a look at who is on their advisory board. These folks are potentially available to you in a self defense court case. It is a veritable who's who of self defense law and expert witness testimony. My wife and I have been members for years. And when you call them, you speak to real people.

They also have some really good training DVDs that can help you avoid legal hassles in the first place.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Texas Law Shield. Good people.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I suggest Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.

Note who is on their board: Industry Luminaries Support Network by Serving on the Advisory Board

$10K initial insurance and you have access to local affirmative defense attorneys that are part of the network. This is critical.

I am a member and went through the process of finding a local affirmative defense attorney who has represented police (affirmative defense) use of force cases. Have his card in my wallet. You want all this in place before, g-forbid, you have to defend yourself with deadly force.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The Texas Law Shield does similar service, but only in Texas, so if you travel or don't happen to live there, you may want something else.
I have Texas Law Shield and I believe they do offer this coverage nationwide, but it's an extra fee.
TxCritterDoc is partially correct. TX Law Shield only works in Texas, but they are actually part of the same company that runs US Law Shield, which covers about six other states (CO, FL, GA, PA, OK, MO, with a few more in the works).

The TX Law shield program does have a multi-state provision that you can pay extra for, but you do need to live in TX primarily - the extra state coverage just allows you to be covered if you're out of TX when the incident occurs. It's also not nationwide (but it's close). The multi-state Protection covers:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

If one picks the Multi-state Protection, but lives in one of the other six states (and thus is a US Law Shield customer, vs. a TX Law Shield customer), then the multi-state coverage is a different list. For example, the covered areas for Colorado residents is: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia - significantly shorter list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a member as well. The training DVD set is provided upon membership. I selected and met with a local network attorney, have his 24hr emergency number in my wallet and cell phone contact. The advisory board members were the main advantage in my research, "boots on the ground" is another.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I live in Oklahoma and am an active member of Texas Law Shield. You can live in any of the states in which they operate and pay and extra fee to be covered in all states in the Union.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Second Call Defense | Complete Legal Protection For Armed Self Defense

I can vouch for these guys, even though that doesn't matter to any of you. I know Sean Maloney who started this endeavor. He is a 2A champion. He was a criminal defense attorney at one time, now I think all he deals with is 2A legal issues, defensive shootings etc. I could be wrong about that but that is his main focus.

Here is a little bio, it's a couple years old but still valid - Buckeye Firearms Association's Sean Maloney needs your help to get on the NRA Board of Directors | Buckeye Firearms Association

I haven't read through Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network web page completely, but I can say this, Sean Maloney of Second Call is connected to the Firearms and Legal communities well enough to get any of those 6 guys on that advisory board(and more) to testify as an expert witness if he needed them. So to me, because one name drops a list of "Advisory Board Members" isn't a good enough reason to join up. My opinion only. YMMV

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.