Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously the NRA is pro-gun... but what is their stance on open carry? I don't hear much about it. They quite often advocate CC, but I haven't heard a lot about OC.

I OCed at the NRA convention in Kentucky 2 years ago with no problem. I would imagine they are OC friendly, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure what their "official" stance is, but the last time I was at the NRA HQ a few years ago, I saw a bunch of people OC'ing.. I have only been there once, so not sure if it was some event or something, but I would say about 40% of the peeps there were OC'ing..

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I think they are friendly towards OC. But they do not seem to advocate for it. Kind of odd. I noticed 2 reports in armed citizen where I know the individuals were OC. It was never mentioned in the article. They seem to dance around the issue. It must not be something that will further their agenda.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ask them. Email, call or write them a letter.

Maybe you will have better luck than I have with getting questions answered.
They have no issue with filling my inbox and mailbox with stuff but I've been trying for over a year to get a simple question answered and the most I've gotten is "we'll have someone who can answer that call you".
It never happens and when I didn't renew my membership they called me (and emailed and sent a letter) to question why, but even then couldn't answer my question.

Maybe you will have better luck.

...and I did renew eventually. There are too many threats to the right to carry not to support them at this point. However, hopefully one day the conditions will be enough in our favor that the NRA can be changed for the better.Less self preservation and being so quick to compromise and more fighting the good fight.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think they are friendly towards OC. But they do not seem to advocate for it. Kind of odd. I noticed 2 reports in armed citizen where I know the individuals were OC. It was never mentioned in the article. They seem to dance around the issue. It must not be something that will further their agenda.

well you can OC in a lot of states without training, which they provide

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Good question, it would be wrong IMHO if they did not advocate any type of legal carry. And in any state that does not allow OC they should push for it to be legal. The second amendment does not state how we should or should NOT carry and the second amendment is the crutch of their existence.

·
Super Moderator
19,809 Posts
I don't think the NRA has addressed open carry per se as an organizational goal, but clearly they are behind protecting our legal rights to carry. At this year's convention in Phoenix, they successfully pressed the AZ Legislature for enabling legislation which allowed their convention venue to temporarily modify liquor license rules. The issue was that liquor service in one part of the building made carrying weapons illegal in the whole building. By special legislation this rule was sidestepped, and those of us who wanted to were able to carry legally - open or concelaed.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Isn't OCing inherently part of Right to Keep and Bare Arms?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not to bash on the NRA, but I have heard and read of alot of things that were not to my liking by the NRA lately.

Maybe thats just me, but thats just what I have read about them here lately.

·
Registered
806 Posts
They are probably (from the others' experiences related on this thread) taking the stance of "One Thing At A Time".

Get everyone used to the idea that many people carry in silent, responsible secrecy, then start to introduce the idea of an openly armed, peaceful citizenry.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They are probably (from the others' experiences related on this thread) taking the stance of "One Thing At A Time".

Get everyone used to the idea that many people carry in silent, responsible secrecy, then start to introduce the idea of an openly armed, peaceful citizenry.

Just a guess.
I think your "guess" is probably correct. They are working so hard for CC that it would dilute their efforts to take on OC at this time.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm not sure what their "official" stance is, but the last time I was at the NRA HQ a few years ago, I saw a bunch of people OC'ing.. I have only been there once, so not sure if it was some event or something, but I would say about 40% of the peeps there were OC'ing..
NRA HQ in Fairfax VA has a fantastic range right in their basement. 15 lanes. I OC there all the time when I get into VA from MD. You may have seen some range folks who wandered upstairs. They have NO problem with it. VA is great for OC.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
N.R.A. & Open Carry

Been a few comments / posts concerning the issue. Been thinking about it for a while, and would like to point out that NRA often reports on several OC issues accross the nation.

While OC is not their pet project, they do indirectly support the movement, and there is a likely possibility neither group would gain much from assisting each other in some official manner. Might even hurt OC, an undeniably grass roots movement, if the NRA was more involved.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I don't fully understand the deal going on here.... the OC movement group and the NRA you think would be bad if combined?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Regardless, the Brady's think they are one in the same and accused the NRA of leading the OC issue at Starbucks. Or they are using the NRA to discredit the OC crowd with their constituents.

I'm a member of the NRA and vocal about OC. Can't say that I have seem much mention of it from them. And it's something I pay attention to. Matter of fact, one of the armed citizen stories was a guy from OCDO and they did not mention he was OC'ing. I pay my dues to be numbered as a member and feed the 900 lb gorilla that fights for the 2A.

·
Super Moderator
19,809 Posts
I don't fully understand the deal going on here.... the OC movement group and the NRA you think would be bad if combined?
As I mentioned in a previous thread, the NRA has bigger fish to fry. OC isn't off the radar, but it is lower in priority than achieving 100% shall-issue and 100% reciprocity for CCWs among the 50 states.

Something like 42 states are now shall-issue. It's taken nearly a generation (that's 25 years) to reach that level - my point is, that didn't come easily or quickly. More progress: retired cops can carry in most states on their retired-cop ID, if they do some minimum certification and keep their noses clean. I remember writing letters about that in the early 90's! That was one critical milestone in the roadmap to achieving interstate reciprocity for non-cops... do you see that?

Don't be impatient, and for heaven's sake, get involved. Write letters... call your legislators. If you're not happy about the boat's direction, pick up an oar and start rowing!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yes and / or maybe.

Your stuck thinking about the value of synergies, but synergies don't always happen just because forces are joined together. Each, at this time, is a different tool for a different job. Consider it a Sum-Of-Parts valuation.

While the NRA does have a grassroots element, it may also be the most powerful lobbying organization in the country. I believe this can both help and hinder the causes they throw their hat in. Their focus is more national in scope.

While OC, is clearly grassroots, and may appeal to that cause (most of the time it is a state by state issue) far more effectively. I believe it might be better for the OC movement not to have the anti-gun types stating that OC is some puppet of the NRA movement.

In addition (and this is just theoretical), the OC movement may not appeal to all NRA supporters (the NRA would not gain as much as they lost) & the NRA may not appeal to all in the OC movement (OC movement may not gain as much as they lost).

Obviously the NRA is pro-gun... but what is their stance on open carry? I don't hear much about it. They quite often advocate CC, but I haven't heard a lot about OC. I OCed at the NRA convention in Kentucky 2 years ago with no problem. I would imagine they are OC friendly, but I'm not sure.
They report on it often enough. As an organization, they have some limit to their resources, and are focused on goals of the majority of their members (they do use those surveys they send out).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yes and / or maybe.

Your stuck thinking about the value of synergies, but synergies don't always happen just because forces are joined together. Each, at this time, is a different tool for a different job. Consider it a Sum-Of-Parts valuation.

While the NRA does have a grassroots element, it may also be the most powerful lobbying organization in the country. I believe this can both help and hinder the causes they throw their hat in. Their focus is more national in scope.

While OC, is clearly grassroots, and may appeal to that cause (most of the time it is a state by state issue) far more effectively. I believe it might be better for the OC movement not to have the anti-gun types stating that OC is some puppet of the NRA movement.

In addition (and this is just theoretical), the OC movement may not appeal to all NRA supporters (the NRA would not gain as much as they lost) & the NRA may not appeal to all in the OC movement (OC movement may not gain as much as they lost).

They report on it often enough. As an organization, they have some limit to their resources, and are focused on goals of the majority of their members (they do use those surveys they send out).

Good points on this... I do think that the NRA needs to fight their battle and the Open Carry group fight theirs... good thing I'm on both teams:image035:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts