Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received my Ken Null "SMZ" Shoulder Holster for my Seecamp LWS32 yesterday. It took only 6 days to deliver from the time I spoke with Mr. Null to place the order. Pretty impressive to say the least!

At first glance you realize the "holster" is actually a piece of polymer or plastic thats cut and molded to the top and side portion of the Gun. The muzzle is left exposed. The entire Rig probably weighs just a few ounces.

I didn't get a chance to play with it till a few hours ago but it didn't take too much time to get used to the release mechanism involved when drawing the firearm out of the holster. It has a unique gun retainment and snap/release feature I hadn't seen in any other SH. The LWS is held in the holster by an integrated piece of polymer that loops through the trigger guard between the rear of the trigger and snaps back onto the other half of the Holster. This design holds the LWS tight to the holster as it cradles and secures the gun in the muzzle up position. There is absolutely no gun-to-holster play whatsoever.

Here's a few photos of the Rig....

The following photographs were taken to illustrate how well this Rig can be concealed by just wearing it under an untucked polo shirt.

The last set of photos shows how the SMZ is actually worn and illustrates the position of the LWS..(BE GENTLE :) )..

AND FINALLY, I filmed 3 small video clips to show how quickly one can draw the LWS out of the SMZ while wearing it under an untucked polo shirt and under a Coat/Jacket.

Here they are.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2y-WzZQs4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVKkuUaVOv8

This last clip was taken to demonstrate the technique used to release the LWS from the SMZ. Pretty quick release, don't you think??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jIBKiV-VfY

As you can tell in the video clips, I need to practice more on obtaining a proper, lower grip on the LWS once it's drawn,.. but I'm confident I'll get it right soon enough.

Bottom Line, I'm extremely pleased with the SMZ. Ken Null has himself a real winner with this holster. Just a note: When I placed the call he answered the phone and took the order. It was a pleasure speaking with him. It probably won't be the last item I order from him.

One more thing,..The SMZ sells for $55.00 delivered!

Hope y'all enjoyed the illustration.

Thanks.

- Jimmy

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Thanks it looks like a very handy Shoulder holster

Let us know how you like it after wearing it a few days

To bad he dont make one for what i need :(

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
good looking holster. i wear a galco miami classic shoulder rig 96% of the time on the job. this looks good for my p3at on the weekend motorcycle rides.

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
I've seen one of them before & have checked it out.
They are darn neat little weightless Hi Tech holsters.
That should be perfect for tucking that little pistol out of the way & still keeping it much more readily/quickly accessible than in a deep cover shirt like the Confident.

Congrats...nice little rig that sure will work for you.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jimmy - thx for a great write-up and the vids too - excellent :smilez:

Certainly that looks extremely efficient and I daresay once adjusted very comfortable. I did notice (being pedantic) you had finger on trigger out of the draw - and was not sure at what point you engaged trigger contact.

I am going to edit slightly to separate your pics (couple of carriage returns does that, between each).

This could be a great rig for my R9 if he makes one.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P95Carry said:
... I did notice (being pedantic) you had finger on trigger out of the draw - and was not sure at what point you engaged trigger contact..
Chris, you must be part Eagle!! If you pause the video you can see that when I brandished the gun, the finger does not make contact with the trigger untill I cleared the gun out and away from my body. May be hard to detect so i'm thinking of making one more film/clip done in slo-mo.

BTW, the LWS32 had a loaded magazine to accurately demonstrate with a fully loaded LWS32 (13oz :smile: ) , but the Chamber was clear.

P95Carry said:
This could be a great rig for my R9 if he makes one.
He does!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
True Jimmy - not easy to tell. I didn't do a frame by frame to check. I can well see that during the ''undercover'' period of the draw you have adequate time to get finger into guard.

I guess it's my old safety center kickin in :wink:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P95Carry said:
..I guess it's my old safety center kickin in :wink:
That's only one of the qualities we admire about you. Never lose that!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Jimmy - got a phone # for Ken?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sweat! Found his website :smilez:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Spoke to Ken and have decided to order one for the R9 - it may not get a whole lotta use but good to have on hand, as I do not have too many garments with real big lockets for pocket carry. R9 is my best BUG choice usually.

I decided I'd go with the black version.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
P95Carry said:
Spoke to Ken and have decided to order one for the R9 - it may not get a whole lotta use but good to have on hand, as I do not have too many garments with real big lockets for pocket carry.
You will not be disappointed.

P95Carry said:
R9 is my best BUG choice usually.
That's one hell of a Bug!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Excellent thread, pics & videos. Looks like a great rig. Wonder if he'll make one for my Detonics CombatMaster. The only thing I don't care for is the muzzle up format, but with the strap going around behind the trigger it should be safe to carry in condition one.

Well done Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thats a great rig, know one officer who carrys his J frame in his version for it,,

Vid's seem to show a very smooth draw, but firing it with that hold is going to sting,, at lest for the first one out

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Thanks for the review but i tried a " pull thro " sh back in the 80s ( its not a new idea you know ) and hated it , iirc i left it in my desk drawer at a dept. that i moved on from ( a gift for whateaver sucker they hired next lol )

·
Registered
18 Posts
I`ve had a SMZ for my Kahr P40 for a few years. The draw is smooth and easy once you get used to it and it easily conceals the gun under just a lightweight over shirt. The one buckle prints a little too much for me under just a T shirt. For me I find that the single strap rides up my neck a little in the back unless the shirt I wear it over has a collar. I`d love to try one with a lightweight figure 8 harness. It`s still a pretty good special purpose rig just the way it is though. Marcus

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mkeBob said:
Excellent thread, pics & videos. Looks like a great rig. The only thing I don't care for is the muzzle up format, but with the strap going around behind the trigger it should be safe to carry in condition one.
Well done Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks mkeBob. You're definitely on-point regarding the trigger guard. I have absolutely no problem carrying the SMZ as I demonstrate in the short video clips.

Dave James said:
Thats a great rig, know one officer who carrys his J frame in his version for it,, Vid's seem to show a very smooth draw, but firing it with that hold is going to sting,, at lest for the first one out
Good eye Dave James! I've worked on the draw all week. Got it down right now. Now,.. if I could only draw my Kimber Ultra Carry that quickly out of my OWB Holster....:image035:

Redneck Repairs said:
Thanks for the review but i tried a " pull thro " sh back in the 80s ( its not a new idea you know ) and hated it , iirc i left it in my desk drawer at a dept. that i moved on from ( a gift for whateaver sucker they hired next lol )
Sorry it didn't work out for you. SH carry isn't for everyone, that's for sure. BTW, ..you got any more holsters you wanna get rid of????:wink:

Gary Brommeland said:
The SMZ is a neat design. Very minimalist, very lightweight.
Extremely lightweight to say the least. Mark Garrity is building a custom leather SH rig for me. It probably won't be as light as the SMZ, but it'll be a work of Art!.

Nothing beats the look, feel and smell of a deep boned leather holster!!

But you know all about that,..don't you Gary?:wink:

Marcus said:
I`ve had a SMZ for my Kahr P40 for a few years. The draw is smooth and easy once you get used to it and it easily conceals the gun under just a lightweight over shirt. The one buckle prints a little too much for me under just a T shirt. For me I find that the single strap rides up my neck a little in the back unless the shirt I wear it over has a collar. I`d love to try one with a lightweight figure 8 harness. It`s still a pretty good special purpose rig just the way it is though. Marcus
Hello Mark. So far I've had no problems with uncomfortable wear. My Seecamp probably weighs half (13oz loaded) of what your P40 did. Therein may have lied the problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I saw and used this holster back in the mid 80's. The gun was a ppk and found this gun to be a bit heavy for the harness. I think a figure 8 harness would work for a heavier gun. I have been thinking about trying one for my PM9 because it light. If I remember the smz is for da pistols

1 - 20 of 35 Posts