Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I'm no gunsmith. In fact, I'm barely mechanically competant. Also, it's no secret that I'm not a Hi-Point fan.

However...

I've been frustrated with what to do with a Hi-Point C-9. I don't trust it enough to sell it with a clean conscience, and I hate to destroy it. So today I took it completely down and started looking for what all was wrong with it. I ended up polishing the feed ramp, smoothing out jagged edges (there was a lot of just sloppy machining), sanding off the junk peeling off the barrel, air-blasting it, lubing it, and cycling several mags of snap caps thru it. When I was done, it felt like a different gun. I then put about 150 rounds of cheap Wolf steel cases thru it (it used to gag on those) and each one cycled flawlessly. It always shot straight, so at the moment, I'm not hating it like I used to...

Then I start thinking - What if I were to drill out the cheap rolled-steel take-down pin and replace it with something beefier and easier to extract like the LCP uses? What other minor improvements could I make? I wonder if there is an opportunity for someone far more competant than myself to strike a reseller agreement with Hi-Point and produce a more reliable pistol that can still be priced at an entry-level for those who simply can't afford to drop 500 bucks?

By striking a wholesale purchase & reseller agreement, I suspect that you could put a far more reliable pistol on the market at about $250 apiece and yield a gross margin of about $150 per pistol. That kind of margin covers a lot of overhead and costs.

'Like I said, 'just a nutty thought for some talented entrepeneur? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Sounds like a fun project.

I get into a little off hand gun smithing too. I just cropped my CW9 down to a covert model and it turned out just as I had hoped it would. I'll leave the truly mechanical and finer inner workings to the professionals though.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Sounds like a fun project.

I get into a little off hand gun smithing too. I just cropped my CW9 down to a covert model and it turned out just as I had hoped it would. I'll leave the truly mechanical and finer inner workings to the professionals though.
Rule number one, it didn't happen if there are no pictures.:hand5:

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
People buy Hi-Points cause they're cheap,I seriously doubt a company is gomma enter into an agreement where you take their pistols and work on them and then charge more,if that was the case they would do it themselves and charge more money,the Hi-Points,Cobra,Jennings fill a niche market and that is producing pistols as cheap as possible targeting people that only got 100.00 for a gun and having 0 knowledge thinking all guns will shoot perfectly out of the box

·
Registered
3,190 Posts

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Thanks man, I appreciate it.:yup:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
You can put lipstick on an pig, but ... :rofl:

·
Registered
154 Posts
i dont think it would work. there are lots of improvements that could be made to the hi point brand, but they all involve raising the price. the price and the warranty are the major selling points of the brand.

i bought a C9 because i had almost no money to spend but felt very strongly that i needed to start carrying. my C9 has not given me a single problem so far......except for the 25 oz. unloaded weight. for $125, you cant beat that.

i do plan on getting something else when i can afford it. but for the forseeable future, i don't see it happening.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Keep the Hi-Point as a spare for the time of the Zombies and leave it alone.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Skilled labor doesnt come cheap. And paying somebody to modify a pile of poo doesnt change the fact that its a pile of poo.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Skilled labor doesnt come cheap. And paying somebody to modify a pile of poo doesnt change the fact that its a pile of poo.
LOL. Very good points - everyone. Notice that I left the idea out there for someone else to do :yup:? Being self-employed, I'm always reaching for the 'next idea'. A project like that might be something I try in my retirement years.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
A friend of mine bought a SCCY 9mm (very inexpensive and "cheap" gun) and it had all sorts of problems. He's very mechanically inclined and proceeded to disassemble the gun and take small hand files and tidy up the poor machine work and made a very reliable gun. Now he is rounding off some of the corners on the frame where it is uncomfortable on the upper web of the hand due to the design. He's got the patience and ability to make it both reliable and comfortable with a little effort and save some cash. I'm not that patient. I really like the Kahr conversion done by GBK. Looks sweet.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
Have fun and there's no real cost or loss, is there? Everybody ought to buy at least one Hi-Point, if only to support the state of Ohio, where they are made, by the way. Mine is a fun gun...and didn't jam like my brand-new FNP-9, that jammed like a damned Galesi! Use it, abuse it and then just throw it away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Hi Point C9 and it has never jammed on me.I won't call it crap.It doesn't shoot accurate but it will hit a chest sized target everytime.For the price it shoots that's the main thing.Nobody's gonna buy one to take to a shooting match.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts