Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here who uses a Glock ever installed an NY 1 or 2 trigger spring? I was debating doing this only for the simple fact that I'm an overly cautious person and thought with the harder trigger pull it might add just a fraction more safety to the gun? I'm careful as always with my guns however anything that could potentially make them even safer I'm all for. Especially since I'm use to the trigger pull of revolvers anyway I figure I might like the harder pull.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
When I took the Glock Armorer Course we had to install the NY1 and NY2 springs during class. I personally do not care for them. If I remember correctly, the combination of the NY1 trigger spring and the "-"(3.5lb) connector gave a more double action type trigger pull and a very positive reset. If forced to do so, I could live with that combination.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
IMHO, you're being prudent, especially if you're naturally cautious, to at least try the easily mixed-&-matched nature of GLOCK handguns. Like LEGO blocks, it's simple & cheap to configure it any way...that best suits YOU!. Good Luck & let us know what/why you decide.

·
Premium Member
36,787 Posts
I prefer the 1 ( green) trigger.
The other one is just too stiff to my liking.
Hey, Matthew. You have taught quite a few novice shooters on the heavier trigger pull. How do you believe the learning curve and overall effectiveness compare between striker fired and DAO? I realize it could probably be the topic for at least a chapter in the book, but I'm genuinely curious.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I know you're asking Matthew, yet my experience says that damn-few folks can recognise +/- 2-3 pounds of trigger weight in the heat of a self-defense shooting. Many can't even recall...hearing the shots. :yup:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can field strip the Glock easily and comfortably, but I've never attempted to strip the gun or any gun for that matter any further than the normal field strip. Is installing the NY something a normal novice person can do or is that best left for a gunsmith? I have watched a few YouTube videos on the install....

·
Premium Member
36,787 Posts
I can field strip the Glock easily and comfortably, but I've never attempted to strip the gun or any gun for that matter any further than the normal field strip. Is installing the NY something a normal novice person can do or is that best left for a gunsmith? I have watched a few YouTube videos on the install....
Make sure you reassemble it in the correct sequence with the springs properly positioned.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure you reassemble it in the correct sequence with the springs properly positioned.
http://glocktriggers.dreamhosters.c.../07/GlockTriggers_Disassembly_Reassembly1.pdf

I found that as well last night that I am assuming is correct as far as sequence goes? I will say that I work on a farm so I am used to DIY however if I screw up working on a tractor, I don't depend on it to save my life nor will it take my life because of a screw up. Not to mention guns are a little more intricate than repairing and working on farm equipment. I'm not afraid to learn and I do want to learn I just don't know at what expense it would be at if that makes sense. So is this something a complete gun novice, in regard to actually working on guns and repairing guns, who doesn't do anything more than field stripping could change out using the above link plus some YouTube videos or should I avoid doing this myself?

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I doubt you will find a handgun easier to disassemble than a glock. You will be just fine.

Reactions: RETSUPT99

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Installing the NY trigger spring is absolutely something anyone can do. I like the NY1 trigger springs and I have put them in my Glocks paired with 3.5# connectors.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think I'm gonna give it a try if it's easy! I found them on eBay for $5 a piece with free shipping one of them says "Glock Factory Part OD Green Trigger Spring NY1 SP07405" and the other one says "Glock Factory Part Orange Trigger Spring Ny2 SP07412" however where it lists which Glocks the part will fit my Glock 23 gen 4 is not listed. It states that it is for the 17, 20, 21, 22, 24, 31, 34, 35, 37. Shall I assume they will fit my 23 as well or am I looking at the wrong parts?

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Hey, Matthew. You have taught quite a few novice shooters on the heavier trigger pull. How do you believe the learning curve and overall effectiveness compare between striker fired and DAO? I realize it could probably be the topic for at least a chapter in the book, but I'm genuinely curious.
Most due well with either but I prefer teaching on a striker type weapon.
True, under stress the difference will not be noticed but we are talking about teaching skills to novices.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
No, I don't like them at all. I want all of my carry guns to come in at around 5 pounds pull weight. And they do... they vary between a little under 5 pounds to 5 1/2 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I bought a LE trade in Glock that had a NY trigger in it. It got taken out pretty darn quick, and replaced with something that works a lot better for me.

I can't imagine putting one in being much harder, so it certainly isn't rocket science.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I went ahead and ordered the ny1 and ny2. Here's hoping they will not only fit but that I can put them in without breaking something

·
Registered
20,117 Posts
I don't want nuthin that says New York anywhere around my shooters.

IMO, but best thing to do is not dicker with a gun until you have at least used it for a while and really have a handle on what you REALLY need to do
with it.

Seems like this is a trend among new shooters with their guns.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Find a store that has a Glock Armorer and let them do it for you.
The nearest one I know of for sure is a 2.5 hour drive one way from me. Everyone here seems to think they are an easy install and that anyone is capable of doing it so I think I'm gonna give it a shot myself first before making that drive

·
Registered
38 Posts
I prefer a very light trigger. I think that it helps me with accuracy and my dt groups are tighter.
I practice often and I think that with enough practice any target can be hit, but real life gun fight is not the same.
In a life or death scenario adrenaline will kick in and I don't think that the average person will even feel the trigger or recoil at all.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts