Defensive Carry banner

NY AG seeks to dissolve the NRA

2K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  StripesDude 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
Linky no worky. Corrected link.

#3 ·
Hmmm.

So whenever there is alleged malfeasance by members of an organization, then the entire organization can be dissolved by law.

Say hello to an attack on every conservative and religious based organization in America if this works (or if people don't have enough backbone to stand up to it).

#5 ·
Linky no worky. Corrected link.
How did you link the article?

#17 ·
The suit demands that even if the NRA is not dissolved, LaPierre and the NRA general counsel resign. Trump has suggested the NRA move to Texas.

The silver lining here may be that instead of the end of the NRA, this could be the catalyst to start the new, better NRA a lot of us want.
True, above.

That said, I'm an NRA life member so no annual dues for me. However, this year I'm inclined to be more than generous, and I feel certain that the money that I donate to the NRA will go to a cause far more worthy than Armani suits.

Question, should I donate to the NRA in Letitia James' name? :cool:

#8 ·
Poorly thought out tactics by the left. They should reconsider. The NRA is standing in the breach. Without the NRA influence the shooting war would have already started.

Reactions: The Old Anglo
#16 ·
I don’t think she has any legal grounds to dissolve an organization based on fraud, even if fraud is found. She can prosecute people, but dissolve an organization? Nah!

Now, that’s not saying that I believe she’s wrong in her assertion of fraud, or at least complete disregard of fiscal responsibility by NRA leadership. I think Wayne is one of the worst leaders as far as fiscal responsibility goes. And I’ve decided to not invest another penny after my 5 year membership is up until he is gone.

But I believe this is nothing more than a political jab by her. Either that or she’s pretty stupid thinking she can dissolve a company.

#24 ·
This New York AG is grand standing , attention seeking and playing to her Liberal, gun hating base. She's probably hoping for a position in the Biden Administration.
Just be aware the NY AG, right or wrong, has the legal power to do what she is doing. The NRA is registered as a non-profit in NY State and has been since 1871. NY has dissolved non-profits in the past, some for political reasons. The AG has good evidence on this that we have all known about for a while. Even NRA board members have talked about and tried to put it right, to no avail.

So whether you are pro or con the NRA, don't think this is grandstanding. This is real.

#40 · (Edited)
IMHO, there is no sense in discussing it further. We will have to agree to disagree. Some people here will still support the NRA and some will not, no matter what is said here.

I do a lot of 2A volunteer work and support three other pro gun organizations. I will just continue with that. We all have to do what we think is best.

We shouldn't get divided over this. I think gun owners should just support a pro-2A organization or organizations. Too few do. The ones who don't do anything are the ones we should be upset with.

#47 ·
Here is the link to the actual Complaint filed against NRA. It is long and very detailed. Frankly, far too detailed to just be a "political hit piece". As a Life/Endowment member, I am very concerned and unhappy here. The actual allegations against the Defendants begins on page 35 of the Complaint. Judge for yourself, again, remembering that these are only allegations.

#51 ·
There are two issues here.

The first is the weaponization of the legal process by the state to squelch political organizations to which the state is opposed. Instead of going after the individuals, the state is going after the organization. Virtually every organization has had individuals accused of malfeasance. This is the first time an organization of such significance has ever been subject to dissolution, and it's clearly political. Every American should be outraged.

The second is the NRA leadership itself. That subject has been discussed many times. You have a vote; exercise it. Or better yet, run for a position or advocate for change. But I see nothing productive about bashing the NRA in the context of this thread, as doing so completely obfuscates the abuse by the NY AG and plays right into what she wants.

#53 ·
In most states, the primary source of "state accepted training" for a state issued license is an NRA certified course by an NRA certified instructor. What happens when those courses and those instructors are no longer recognized by the state? Yes, eventually someone will fill the void, but what happens until then?

#54 ·

Here is an apolitical legal opinion of the NY v. NRA. The channel is hosted by a liberal Canadian attorney (not leftist ideologue). Robert Barnes is a successful nationally recognized attorney. His legal opinion is based on winning cases, not public opinion.

#55 ·

More info on Wayne’s shady dealings. He’s made the NRA into his personal piggy bank and used his position for personal favors. Anyone at the NRA who continues to cover for him is complicit. And any board member who refuses to call for his resignation is derelict in their duties.

#56 ·
I don't believe the lawsuit will go anywhere. It doesn't to meet any legal requirements, but I'm no lawyer. I also don't know well the opinions from a few different lawyers I've read are based upon a good working knowledge of New York law. The attack clearly is politically motivated, which actually appears to be a violation of state law, at least that is the legal consensus I've read.

The problems of the NRA are indeed being highlighted. Again. I left the NRA over a decade ago now because my vote was not making a difference. I chose to not fund the things I didn't like.

#58 ·
I really respect everyone's personal opinion of the NRA & leaders in this case, but if they go after the NRA & win, then they go after you, how are you going to fare?
I support anyone that tries to defend my rights, even if they do it 30% proficiency.
Do you support people who take your money under the guise of protecting your rights only to use that money for personal reasons?

Because I do not....

#60 ·
Here's the problem with the NRA. They know what they need to do to fix all this, it would be doable, but they aren't doing it. That is what is damning. Just three things.
  1. They need to move their registration out of NY.
  2. WLP and a couple others need to retire.
  3. They need to slim down the board.
All three could probably be done in one fell swoop. Then they would be back in action. The fact that they have known that for years now and won't do it just boggles my mind. They are making themselves unfit for duty when gun owners need them most.

#61 ·
Here's the problem with the NRA. They know what they need to do to fix all this, it would be doable, but they aren't doing it. That is what is damning. Just three things.
  1. They need to move their registration out of NY.
  2. WLP and a couple others need to retire.
  3. They need to slim down the board.
All three could probably be done in one fell swoop. Then they would be back in action. The fact that they have known that for years now and won't do it just boggles my mind. They are making themselves unfit for duty when gun owners need them most.
If this was a public company, board members would be sued left and right for being idiots and not removing the leadership. But if it was a public company, their board would be a functional one and not include unqualified celebrities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.