Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Trying to find information on the process and procedures for obtaining a CC Permit in NC. Moving there next month. Calls to the local Sheriffs are not being answered as of a few days ago and i suspect due to Covid causing long lines.

Basic online research leads me to believe i need to do the following before i can attempt to purchase a CC permit in NC (WAKE). Please correct any that i am mistaken. Thanks in advance.

1) My NY permit (more restrictive state) will not allow for a direct transfer to a NC permit like a drivers license.
2) I will need to wait 30 days until residency is established before i can apply for a cc permit.
3) Need to take a CC permit course before i apply.
4) NC is an open carry state (need to learn more about this and the laws of what can and cant be done).
5) My NY permit is Null and Void the minute i obtain a new license in NC.
6) My guns will need to be permitted if i want to go to the range while waiting for CC permit in NC ??? Not sure about this one..
7) My NY gun courses that i have completed are null and void in NC. (basic carry, CC1,CC2).

Still trying to wrap my head around Open Carry. Do people really do this? Like is it common or are people concealing? I like many gun owners have a bunch of CC holsters and will now need OTW holsters which i am ok with but not used to.

I have searched this site before posting this and couldn't find some of my answers.

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I grew up in NC--now in FL--left to join the service, and cannot help you much on the NC CC questions. OC is not common, more a rarity, so I would not get too concerned over that. I'm sure someone current in the NC CC laws and permit requirements will be along shortly.

My one suggestion is--when you leave NY, leave NY behind. I'm talking about all the things that make NY what it is. A lot of that is not looked upon fondly in the south. You'll do much better becoming a North Carolinian than a NY expatriate.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Sigalicious, from Arizona. As a person who was born and raised in the South, I echo OldVet's sentiments - the South doesn't assimilate.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
My one suggestion is--when you leave NY, leave NY behind. I'm talking about all the things that make NY what it is. A lot of that is not looked upon fondly in the south. You'll do much better becoming a North Carolinian than a NY expatriate.
Oh please, oh please yes, do this. Do NOT take NY ideas and ways down south with you. We want to keep the South the South. Us Southerners are very friendly people but we do wish to protect our beloved South and keep her as we love her.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Howdy from Texas
OC is done but not overly common.
Lot depends on area rural vs city.
Do not freak out if you see someone OC.
I hope you enjoy living in the south.
southern and western folks are friendly as long as you keep the N.Y. liberalism north of the Mason Dixon line.
Living in Texas I can’t answer your permit questions

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
As for open carry in NC, that is more common in Virginia than NC, probably because there is a rather large movement here for this mode of carry. Try this website for your questions, too. Not about open carry but about your permitting quest in NC. Go to the NC section and post your questions. You should get some answers pretty quickly.

Also peruse through this page for some answers..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks for the suggestions. One thing to note, Upstate NYers are lumped in with the folks from NY City and I am not from the city. Can you give me any example of what your asking me to leave behind? I am assuming that you mean the NYC attitude correct?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Can you give me any example of what your asking me to leave behind? I am assuming that you mean the NYC attitude correct?
There are many things you need to be aware of and change. One is when you are shopping and in a check out lane, DO NOT expect to get out of the store very fast. People chat, sometimes for a long time, with each other and with the check out clerk. And be prepared, if you say hello to a person, to hear their entire life story including family illnesses!

Learn to RELAX and slow down. Way down! This is true for most everything "south." And never, ever, tell any workman or contractor that you are not in a hurry to have something done.............that exponentially increases the slow down, to "maybe someday in the distant future." Politely ask for a specific DATE when they will come or when the product will be finished and ready to use. Note that if a person says he will be there Thursday, that does NOT mean this Thursday. And always, always, say please and thank you!

And if you are a woman or have a wife or daughter, be sure she knows that "honey," "sugar," and a couple other sweet type names are used freely and are not in any way demeaning - they are south/friendly and they are respectful. And expect her to be called "Miss..whatever her first name is" THAT IS A MARK OF RESPECT in the south.

It goes way beyond political leanings. It is a different and very wonderful culture once you get shed of the Yankee fast pace!

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
One more thing: Remember that you are the one with the funny accent and the strange verbal expressions. They tawk raht! Don't try to tawk the way they do. They will think you're making fun of them. Over time you may find that you are saying "fahve (five), nahn (nine), IN'surance, fahr (fire) and such" but let it happen naturally or not at all.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
OP, you have most points correct. Non- transferable permit, non-transferable courses. And a waiting list on all things these days. The Wake sheriff is a wing nut and doesn’t wanna issue permits, the poor baby. He’s over worked and he’s got a boo boo.

Sorry for all the doom and gloom on the Old North State. And the lectures you’re getting are because the South is being forced into changing to a culture that we never were before because of folks moving in from anywhere and everywhere. Not just NYC or New York State by any means. We were happy as an agriculturally based economy with conservative values and now we’re losing both. We’re being overrun by the “it’s all about me” attitude that’s spreading everywhere.

Open carry is legal, with some legal constraints, but to be honest, you will rarely see it. In Wake County you may never see it outside of the occasional biker, if that. It’s often been said that if carrying in your vehicle and you get the blue lights on you, place the firearm in plain view, even place it on the dashboard. I would strongly recommend NOT doing that, legal as it may be, as it would be much too flagrant and probably, harshly misunderstood. Carry in your trunk and get on with getting your permit.

Study up on the nuances of some of our laws where firearms are concerned. The definition of legally transporting a firearm, inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle, was written cryptically IMO. If gives a lot of latitude to the officer on the scene. I don’t like that kind of interpretive power over my actions being held by anyone and I’m cynical as to how that power will be used. And oh, while justice is blind, law enforcement is not. Out of state plates “could” make legal interpretation more expensive. Certainly wouldn’t be the first time.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
OP, if you are moving to Wake County in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, I wouldn't recommend that you even consider open carry. You'll get "Man With A Gun!" calls.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Ok, thanks for the suggestions. One thing to note, Upstate NYers are lumped in with the folks from NY City and I am not from the city. Can you give me any example of what your asking me to leave behind? I am assuming that you mean the NYC attitude correct?

In general, southerners tend to be quite conservative. We are not very fond of the liberal mind set, unless one is of the classic liberal fold (think the Founding Fathers with this). We are rich in our traditions, customs, and culture and quite proud of the fact that we are Southern. You will find that being friendly, being apt to conversation, and having a countenance that speaks "I love people" goes a long way. The poster above did a good job of giving some nice notes of being Southern. If you are open and friendly and prone to smiling a lot and being nice, you will do fine.

Reactions: BHC

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Be friendly. Be patient. Be kind and polite to everyone. Don’t drive like a yankee. Help anyone and everyone you can - we are a lot more friendly down here. Don’t expect what you had in NY and don’t try and change things. You‘ll do fine.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts

Mostly mean voting for stupid liberal stuff. I went to school in the Hudson Valley, so I understand he difference between NY state and NY city.

You will just need to adjust to a slower pace and terrible drivers. Other than that, not much different than upstate NY really. I would ditch the NY tags ASAP though. People seem them and assume a NY city person.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Mostly mean voting for stupid liberal stuff. I went to school in the Hudson Valley, so I understand he difference between NY state and NY city.

You will just need to adjust to a slower pace and terrible drivers. Other than that, not much different than upstate NY really. I would ditch the NY tags ASAP though. People seem them and assume a NY city person.
Excellent advice there. I see a NY tag, I assume "Aaah -- one o' them NYC folks." :)

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
My first permit was issued in Wake County years ago under a Republican sheriff. Things have changed. Current sheriff isn't much of a CC supporter. I agree with svgheartland. More on Wake county info is here WakeGOV: Concealed Handgun Permits. State info is here https://handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf.

Im in the next county over. I have been seeing OC more frequently the past few months. Drove by a bicyclist this morning on my country road with a Glock strapped on his riding shorts. I don't give it much a thought. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
One more thing: Remember that you are the one with the funny accent and the strange verbal expressions. They tawk raht! Don't try to tawk the way they do. They will think you're making fun of them. Over time you may find that you are saying "fahve (five), nahn (nine), IN'surance, fahr (fire) and such" but let it happen naturally or not at all.
LOL!! My wife was a speech pathologist who worked with preschool children. One of her student had just moved down from NY. His dad ask my wife in a somewhat obnoxious manner..."exactly what do you intend to teach my son?" My wife replied in her deepest southern accent "well sweetie, I'm going to teach him to talk how God intended". Dad never questioned her again!

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts

Hope you don’t get the wrong impression that we do not like all northerners
It is just that in the past few decades we have seen people from predominantly liberal states move down here when it became impossible for one reason or another to stay where they were.
They bring their failed ideas here and try to change their new home like their old home was.
Just look at what has happened to Virginia, Colorado.
Arizona, Texas, New Mexico are in a fight for their states right now.
I think I can talk for most here to hope you find a wonderful life in North Carolina. We can always use another good southern man.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I am assuming that you mean the NYC attitude correct?
Pretty much. Actually, I’ve seen NYC attitudes all over, so it’s probably unfair to single them out. That stated, people will prejudge you. Don’t give them any ammo and they’ll eventually accept you for the great guy you surely are. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts