Defensive Carry banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just to add not that it is of any relevance. My job is moving to the area and there is little risk involved for me which is why we pulled the trigger. I get along with most people so i am not worried about the north / south thing if there is one. Did some recon of RTP/Chappel Hill/ Cary back in November and didnt see any issues but i suspect based on some of the conversations in this thread that there is some deep rooted love from the OGs of NC and that isn't a bad thing. As more and more people move into a certain area, the area blends and its not all cookie cutter anymore. I cant speak for AZ. TX. NM as i have never been. Its crazy that my original post migrated to this topic :) . As for my NY plates, i plan to ditch them ASAP once i get there to establish the residency, update the car ins, etc etc. Moving into a townhouse that is part of a giant rental community so i think i will blend in for a few days without issue. Want to get the lay of the land first before i decide where to buy a house. Houses are going up fast in NC so i want to keep my options open for a bit so if i meet new friends i could move into an area that i have friends in or have explored more carefully than just a weekend visit.

As for the politics. Not looking to change anything. in fact i hate politics. The only think i wish i could change would be to add term limits for all political positions and anything they enact, they have to follow. No more special treatment for politicians.

Back to this site - It will be nice to be in a less restrictive state regarding my gun hardware. I have 15 rd mags being stored at a friends house that i can now have shipped to me due to NY restricting to 10 rds. Guns will get cheaper as i had to pay more to have a 10 rd mag instead of a 15rd standard mag. I will have to retrain with new mags to get used to the additional weight. I can finally put my AR together as in NY its not allowed due to the layout of the hardware. Actually looking forward to taking it out and shooting it. Not looking forward to the classes to relearn what i took in the last year all over again. I guess i can use it as a vehicle to meet new people, figure out which gun shops are nice, where the fun ranges are, where folks go to get their new weapons and accessories.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
OP, if you are moving to Wake County in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, I wouldn't recommend that you even consider open carry. You'll get "Man With A Gun!" calls.
I've heard that multiple times before, but I've never actually seen or heard of that happening. I see probably one OC around Raleigh a month on average. And for me to see one, there's obviously a few more that I don't see. But yes, it is not very common.

Have you actually known about any MWAG calls? I'm not saying they don't happen, I just haven't heard of any.

Just as a side note, OC is legal in North Carolina not because of some law that was passed, but because there is no law against it. That's probably irrelevant, but just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I've heard that multiple times before, but I've never actually seen or heard of that happening. I see probably one OC around Raleigh a month on average. And for me to see one, there's obviously a few more that I don't see. But yes, it is not very common.

Have you actually known about any MWAG calls? I'm not saying they don't happen, I just haven't heard of any.

Just as a side note, OC is legal in North Carolina not because of some law that was passed, but because there is no law against it. That's probably irrelevant, but just the way it is.
Fallsrider, I didn't mean to overstate. No, I don't live in that metro area and have not heard of any MWAG calls. It was intended as a general statement about the rarity of seeing open carry in the more "progressive" areas of NC. In my experience, you just don't see open carry in most NC University towns. I can count on one hand (maybe two) the number I've seen in 45 years.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Fallsrider, I didn't mean to overstate. No, I don't live in that metro area and have not heard of any MWAG calls. It was intended as a general statement about the rarity of seeing open carry in the more "progressive" areas of NC. In my experience, you just don't see open carry in most NC University towns. I can count on one hand (maybe two) the number I've seen in 45 years.
No problem. I live in Raleigh, and I see OC occasionally, but I've never heard of a MWAG call. But I have heard people warn that that's a possibility. I was just wondering how common that is. I would love to know of one of those calls happening, as I'm sure they do on occasion. I have watched guys walk around with an OC in downtown Raleigh, and no one pays them any attention. That's probably more people not noticing, than ignoring them, though.

I have considered trying it just on principle, but I don't have a level 2 retention holster, and no handgun retention training.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
One of my favorite bumper stickers ever, in a restaurant/lounge in SC,
"I don't give a Flip (Other word used) how you did it in NY"
There's a reason for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all,
Trying to find information on the process and procedures for obtaining a CC Permit in NC. Moving there next month. Calls to the local Sheriffs are not being answered as of a few days ago and i suspect due to Covid causing long lines.

Basic online research leads me to believe i need to do the following before i can attempt to purchase a CC permit in NC (WAKE). Please correct any that i am mistaken. Thanks in advance.

1) My NY permit (more restrictive state) will not allow for a direct transfer to a NC permit like a drivers license.
2) I will need to wait 30 days until residency is established before i can apply for a cc permit.
3) Need to take a CC permit course before i apply.
4) NC is an open carry state (need to learn more about this and the laws of what can and cant be done).
5) My NY permit is Null and Void the minute i obtain a new license in NC.
6) My guns will need to be permitted if i want to go to the range while waiting for CC permit in NC ??? Not sure about this one..
7) My NY gun courses that i have completed are null and void in NC. (basic carry, CC1,CC2).

Still trying to wrap my head around Open Carry. Do people really do this? Like is it common or are people concealing? I like many gun owners have a bunch of CC holsters and will now need OTW holsters which i am ok with but not used to.

I have searched this site before posting this and couldn't find some of my answers.

Thanks for any help...

I live in Wake County.

1. Correct. Since NY doesn't recognize NC, NC doesn't recognize NY.
2. Yes. Statute requires.
3. Correct.
4. Correct, but such is pretty rare. There is also this statute about "going armed to the terror of the public" which can make things awkward. Mere open carry doesn't violate the statute, but if somebody gets upset it could get awkward. Wake County (Raleigh) is pretty urban and cosmopolitan, so you have a wide set of views on firearms.
5. Don't know about that - that's really an NY question. If you don't tell NY about your NC permit, they probably won't know.
6. Negative. Guns don't get registered in NC. If you don't have a CCW, you need a permit to purchase a handgun (easier just to get your CCW).
7. Correct. It makes sense, too, because they teach the NC firearms law in the NC CCW class.

The process is pretty simple, but it is slowed down a little bit due to COVID. Some folks had to take the Sheriff to court; he wanted to shut down issuing permits and the courts said that he could not.

Most of the application process is on line. Then you need an appointment to get fingerprinted. Check out Wake County Sheriff Office Concealed Handgun Weapon (CHP) Permit Director

More detailed questions? James B. Wilson is an NC attorney specializing in firearms. Attorneys | NC Gun Trust - North Carolina Gun Trust Lawyer - James Barrett Wilson & Associates

When you get settled, the Triangle Shooting Academy in Brier Creek (near the airport) is absolutely awesome.

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Wake County.

1. Correct. Since NY doesn't recognize NC, NC doesn't recognize NY.
2. Yes. Statute requires.
3. Correct.
4. Correct, but such is pretty rare. There is also this statute about "going armed to the terror of the public" which can make things awkward. Mere open carry doesn't violate the statute, but if somebody gets upset it could get awkward. Wake County (Raleigh) is pretty urban and cosmopolitan, so you have a wide set of views on firearms.
5. Don't know about that - that's really an NY question. If you don't tell NY about your NC permit, they probably won't know.
6. Negative. Guns don't get registered in NC. If you don't have a CCW, you need a permit to purchase a handgun (easier just to get your CCW).
7. Correct. It makes sense, too, because they teach the NC firearms law in the NC CCW class.

The process is pretty simple, but it is slowed down a little bit due to COVID. Some folks had to take the Sheriff to court; he wanted to shut down issuing permits and the courts said that he could not.

Most of the application process is on line. Then you need an appointment to get fingerprinted. Check out Wake County Sheriff Office Concealed Handgun Weapon (CHP) Permit Director

More detailed questions? James B. Wilson is an NC attorney specializing in firearms. Attorneys | NC Gun Trust - North Carolina Gun Trust Lawyer - James Barrett Wilson & Associates

When you get settled, the Triangle Shooting Academy in Brier Creek (near the airport) is absolutely awesome.

Good luck!
One more thing - if you decide to go to a protest, it is unlawful to go armed, even if you have a CCW. Nobody used to even think about that, but lately......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
Trying to find information on the process and procedures for obtaining a CC Permit in NC. Moving there next month. Calls to the local Sheriffs are not being answered as of a few days ago and i suspect due to Covid causing long lines.

Basic online research leads me to believe i need to do the following before i can attempt to purchase a CC permit in NC (WAKE). Please correct any that i am mistaken. Thanks in advance.

1) My NY permit (more restrictive state) will not allow for a direct transfer to a NC permit like a drivers license.
2) I will need to wait 30 days until residency is established before i can apply for a cc permit.
3) Need to take a CC permit course before i apply.
4) NC is an open carry state (need to learn more about this and the laws of what can and cant be done).
5) My NY permit is Null and Void the minute i obtain a new license in NC.
6) My guns will need to be permitted if i want to go to the range while waiting for CC permit in NC ??? Not sure about this one..
7) My NY gun courses that i have completed are null and void in NC. (basic carry, CC1,CC2).

Still trying to wrap my head around Open Carry. Do people really do this? Like is it common or are people concealing? I like many gun owners have a bunch of CC holsters and will now need OTW holsters which i am ok with but not used to.

I have searched this site before posting this and couldn't find some of my answers.

Thanks for any help...
I also escaped from NYS (upstate) in 2001. Welcome.

Most of your questions have been answered, but a couple of things I didn't see regarding open carry. Without a CCW, you cannot carry into: any establishment that SERVES alcohol, or any place that charges admission. If you're visiting a school, you can (with a CCW) leave your gun locked up in your car. Without a CCW, it's a no no.

GOTAP is rare and almost impossible to actually make stick. You'll find, if you open carry, that nobody notices. Kids notice more than anyone else, because they're not obsessed with their lives, and are at the right level to see and notice. If you visit opencarry.org and read the NC experience reports, you will see that scary stories and issues, in general, are rare. Don't worry about pulling it while driving. It can be in your holster, uncovered by clothes, and it's still open carry.

On a side note, I would seriously look outside of Wake County. The Wake government is nearly as screwy as the one you're leaving, in NY.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
As far as time it takes to get a CHP in NC, state law says it has to be done in 90 days. I got mine in 38 days in Wake Co., but that was under our previous, more gun-friendly, sheriff. Don't be surprised if it takes you a while to get your permit.

Under our previous sheriff, you could make an appointment to get fingerprinted, which might be a few weeks out. But you could just show up at the sheriff's office and they would go ahead and fingerprint you if they had a slot available. I saved about three weeks doing that. But with our current sheriff, that may not be be possible. I don't know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Good reading here....

The minute i establish residency in another state my NY Permit is useless. NY Permit is valid only for NY and only if you live in NY. The minute you are no longer a NYer, your permit is done.

As far as time it takes to get a CHP in NC, state law says it has to be done in 90 days. I got mine in 38 days in Wake Co., but that was under our previous, more gun-friendly, sheriff. Don't be surprised if it takes you a while to get your permit.

Under our previous sheriff, you could make an appointment to get fingerprinted, which might be a few weeks out. But you could just show up at the sheriff's office and they would go ahead and fingerprint you if they had a slot available. I saved about three weeks doing that. But with our current sheriff, that may not be be possible. I don't know.
Not worried about time. Took 45 days to get mine in NY and that was at a time where 180 days was common.

I also escaped from NYS (upstate) in 2001. Welcome.

GOTAP is rare and almost impossible to actually make stick.

On a side note, I would seriously look outside of Wake County. The Wake government is nearly as screwy as the one you're leaving, in NY.
Congrats for escaping NYS.
GOTAP ?? I googled this and don't know what this means.

We decided to move into Cary due to closeness to work. We are going to rent for a year to see where we want to live later after we meet new folks. 1 weekend isn't enought to know where i want to live. Want to get established before i buy.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Frankly just based upon your postings on your thread, I think you are going to do just fine in NC. I prefer the coastal areas, I have family in Wilmington and Carolina Beach and friends in other areas, but the entire state, less a few parts of questionable political leanings, is a great place in which to live.

Keep us posted as you go through your time there, adjusting to your new life, weather, food, people, places, etc.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Mostly mean voting for stupid liberal stuff. I went to school in the Hudson Valley, so I understand he difference between NY state and NY city.

You will just need to adjust to a slower pace and terrible drivers. Other than that, not much different than upstate NY really. I would ditch the NY tags ASAP though. People seem them and assume a NY city person.
@MMinSC;

You do realize that the “terrible drivers” you speak of, well they are the UPSTATE NY drivers that quickly changed their vehicle plates after moving down South with a few million other yankees right?

😉

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Frankly just based upon your postings on your thread, I think you are going to do just fine in NC. I prefer the coastal areas, I have family in Wilmington and Carolina Beach and friends in other areas, but the entire state, less a few parts of questionable political leanings, is a great place in which to live.

Keep us posted as you go through your time there, adjusting to your new life, weather, food, people, places, etc.
Having lived in NC all my life, I'm partial to it. One of the things that states like yours and mine have to offer is both the coastal areas and the mountains are within a reasonable drive. I can be at the mountains in 3 to 3-1/2 hours, and at the coast in 2 to 2-1/2.

Of course, people out west probably scoff at our use of the word mountains.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
It's gotta be the mountains for me. Beach trips a few times a year, but I'm planted up here in the high country like an ol' boulder.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
We’re looking at the hills too for retirement, the beach home will be sold when CWO gets to retire cause the both of us have done the tourist trap living and don’t want any part of that. It’s nice to hear the ocean, but a trade off with having to hear vacationers and what all comes with them. Ozarks and KY are two possibilities, looking at inexpensive land and good gun laws.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts