Defensive Carry banner

Do you believe AR and modern Semi-Auto Rifles are protected by the Second Amendment

• Yes, they are in Common use & protected under the Second Amendment

Votes: 249 100.0%
  • No, they are rarely purchased and are not protected under the Second Amendment

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cuomo strikes back at gun rights lawsuit | Human Events

Do you think AR and modern renditions of semi-auto rifles, as defined in the NY Ban, in Common use or not?

Not that this really has any relevance since all bearable arms, by one person, as modernization of an arm over 200yrs old, was ruled in DC v Heller as protected; I wanted to see what you all think

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Not in common use? If they weren't before Sandy Hook (they were), they sure are now. He must have been too busy being stupid to see where those AR death machines were flying off the shelves for months.

Reactions: multistage

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a side note:

Anyone else find it an odd occurence a Governor is involved in an injunction?

Usually their role as Governor, from everyday legal battles, is to stay out of them in order to prevent an image of having a "Conflict of Interest". Something Lawyers are supposed to go out of their way to avoid being found as having.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Not if it's for the children.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
IMO all weapons are covered under the 2A, and to those that want to go the Nuclear route, don't go there, its stupid....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Cuomo strikes back at gun rights lawsuit | Human Events

Do you think AR and modern renditions of semi-auto rifles, as defined in the NY Ban, in Common use or not?

Not that this really has any relevance since all bearable arms, by one person, as modernization of an arm over 200yrs old, was ruled in DC v Heller as protected; I wanted to see what you all think
If they aren't common, then that explains why you can't find them in stock anywhere. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though. My dad, who hasn't purchased a firearm in 15-20 years has recently purchased both an AR15 and an AR10. They're rapidly becoming VERY common.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I'm sure from his perspective, he's absolutely correct; they aren't in common use... After all, all of his bodyguards are toting MP5s, so I can see why he wouldn't think that the lowly AR has much of an audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
He just needs to go to just a few ranges (or send one of his minions) and he will notice on average 2 out of 3 rifles being used are some variant of an AR-15.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We all need to remember the redefinition to A firearm with any of the following:
*Detachable Magazine capable of holdin more than 10 rounds
*Pistol grip or thumbhole stock
*Adjustable Stock
*A foregrip that surrounds the barrel
*A gas impinged system
Etc.

A 10-22, arguably the MOST common kids training rifle is included in this definition.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Do you believe AR and modern Semi-Auto Rifles are protected by the Second Amendment
Absolutely. And it has nothing to do with common use. It has to do with its being simple portable arms of the sort with utility for a single person to carry and use in defense of self and others. It's the sort of arms envisioned by the framers of the 2A when they acknowledged the right and stated that right shall not be infringed.

Even fully-automatic weaponry would be more commonly owned/carried if only the knee-jerk prohibitions and fear-mongering statist views on such things were seen for what they were, as well: 2A infringements of exactly the sort that has gotten us these semi-auto prohibitions and all the rest.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
If I remember right, the AR platform is the best selling semi-automatic rifle in existence (in the US) - or damn near it.

Not common use my behind.

I work at a gun range as an RSO. I see all manner of weapons at the range.

I see more ARs than just about anything.

That and every kind of bolt-action out there (especially during hunting season).

·
Registered
408 Posts
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Nope nothing in here about AR's ........or common use .....or Govenor Cuomo or Mayor Bloomberg rewriting this document

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
One last thing: I'm still wondering how common use has anything to do with 2A rights.
I'm sure a lofty, vaunted "judge" could weasel out some logic to explain it to us. No doubt of that ... from SCOTUS on down. :tired: :mad: :aargh4:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
1 - 20 of 120 Posts