Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I saw a post not too long ago, I believe here, that somewhere upstate, a judge issued a non-resident permit to a former resident that was moving out of state...please help, I really want to find out more about this....

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think I saw a post not too long ago, I believe here, that somewhere upstate, a judge issued a non-resident permit to a former resident that was moving out of state...please help, I really want to find out more about this....
If they did it would be in violation of NY pistol permit laws. NY does not issue pistol permits to non residents. In fact typically you have to reside in NY for 3 years before you can even apply but that number varies from county to county.

I know I live in one of the most pistol friendly counties in NY state and no judge here would issue a non resident permit. So I'm not sure where you read this.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Several people have gotten unrestricked pemits but never non-resident.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Handgunlaw.us

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

Page 3....There is a forum where someone posted that a NYS resident that had an Unrestricted, moved out of state and a judge renewed his NYS with an out of state address..I just can't remember which forum..wouldn't that be something for the NRA to get a hold of...?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Several people have gotten unrestricked pemits but never non-resident.
Many more than several...I know at least a couple of dozen myself...
In some upstate counties, Unrestricted out of the box.....Nassau and Suffolk are almost as bad as NYC...I'm glad I moved up here...

·
Registered
34 Posts
The owner of the gunshop down the road from my parents house told me he was working with someone who lived in PA but worked in NY and was able to get a NY permit.

The problem was that in order to add the gun to his NY permit it had to be transferred through a NY FFL holder.... but its against Federal law to transfer a handgun to a non-resident. I haven't seen the owner since to ask how that ended up. He said he didn't think they issued to non-residents either, but then this instance occurred.

When I lived there no one seemed to know the laws especially the police.... Crazy state.... but it'll always be my home state. Hopefully the laws will get better for those of you still residing there.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The owner of the gunshop down the road from my parents house told me he was working with someone who lived in PA but worked in NY and was able to get a NY permit.

The problem was that in order to add the gun to his NY permit it had to be transferred through a NY FFL holder.... but its against Federal law to transfer a handgun to a non-resident. I haven't seen the owner since to ask how that ended up. He said he didn't think they issued to non-residents either, but then this instance occurred.

When I lived there no one seemed to know the laws especially the police.... Crazy state.... but it'll always be my home state. Hopefully the laws will get better for those of you still residing there.
I believe you're correct. If you work in NY you're eligible for a permit. I would also assume if you own property you could also be eligible.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
This strikes me as an urban legend. Nessie, Bigfoot, and the non resident unrestricted NY pistol permit holder... :)

Now if he were in a job, such as a Brink's driver who is required to carry a pistol as part of his job, I'd believe it.

I'd really like to hear more about it.

It's been getting better for my county, but I don't see things getting any better until New York City breaks off and becomes their own state. ;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
400.00 Subsection 7.

7. License: form. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall,
except in the city of New York, be approved as to form by the
superintendent of state police. A license to carry or possess a pistol
or revolver shall have attached the licensee`s photograph, and a coupon
which shall be removed and retained by any person disposing of a firearm
to the licensee. Such license shall specify the weapon covered by
calibre, make, model, manufacturer`s name and serial number, or if none,
by any other distinguishing number or identification mark, and shall
indicate whether issued to carry on the person or possess on the
premises, and if on the premises shall also specify the place where the
licensee shall possess the same. If such license is issued to an alien,
or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state,
the
licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for
the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good
character of the applicant.....

Well...any lawyers out there....looks like non-resident to me...

·
Registered
2 Posts
NYS non resident pistol permit

I know Canadian IPSIC shooters participate in matches in Western New York Combat Pistol League. I assume they must have a permit . Anyone know for sure ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I does sound like an urban legend, but I trust the guy. He is a long time family friend who went to high school and college with my father.

If I have time next time I'm up there ill stop by and find out more.

A lot of people in upstate/western NY have been hoping for that split for a long time. It just makes sense. The needs of the two areas are polar opposites.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know Canadian IPSIC shooters participate in matches in Western New York Combat Pistol League. I assume they must have a permit . Anyone know for sure ?
"Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container."http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

Presumably, the Canadian Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence would suffice.

·
Registered
752 Posts
From Bach v. Pataki(2004):

However, as a nonresident without New York State employment, Bach is not eligible for a New York firearms license. The State Police informed Bach that "no exemption exists which would enable [him] to possess a handgun in New York State" and that "[t]here are no provisions for the issuance of a carry permit, temporary or otherwise, to anyone not a permanent resident of New York State nor does New York State recognize pistol permits issued by other states." The State Police further explained that persons "who maintain seasonal residen[ce] in New York State likewise are not eligible for a New York State Pistol Permit" and warned Bach that if he were found in possession of his pistol in New York he "would be subject to automatic forfeiture of the firearm in question and criminal prosecution."
Looks like I'm 50% right. The seasonal home doesn't matter, but the employment does.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To those who are also on other forums....maybe you can post a similar question...if it were true, it would set a precedent and maybe help our cause....post anything back here under this Thread...thnx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Connecticut CCW holder - works in NYC

OK, I am new to this forum because I specifically want to work my way from CT CCW holder through to NYS and NYC permit holder. I live in Stamford but work on Wall St. So my trip to work (commuting by car) takes me all of 10 minutes to reach the NYS border whereupon I am now left unarmed all the way to my place of work. Now, through this entire trip, common sense and crime rate statistics says that I have very little likelihood of needing my SP-101 for those short ten minutes and a ridiculously much higher chance of needing it for the other 50 minutes plus the time spent at my place of employment.

So how do I get a NYS out of state CCW permit? As a non-resident, are you all telling me that I can't even take my long gun up to Lake George when hunting with some friends?

I immigrated from Australia, so I am HIGHLY motivated to work this through to completion.

·
Registered
752 Posts
OK, I am new to this forum because I specifically want to work my way from CT CCW holder through to NYS and NYC permit holder. I live in Stamford but work on Wall St. So my trip to work (commuting by car) takes me all of 10 minutes to reach the NYS border whereupon I am now left unarmed all the way to my place of work. Now, through this entire trip, common sense and crime rate statistics says that I have very little likelihood of needing my SP-101 for those short ten minutes and a ridiculously much higher chance of needing it for the other 50 minutes plus the time spent at my place of employment.

So how do I get a NYS out of state CCW permit? As a non-resident, are you all telling me that I can't even take my long gun up to Lake George when hunting with some friends?

I immigrated from Australia, so I am HIGHLY motivated to work this through to completion.
There's probably an exception for hunting, provided everything is transported properly to and from hunting(ammo, gun locked in trunk), but I'm not positive, as NY has several different permits(full carry, premisis,exc.). Also, keep in mind NY state and NY city are separate entities for pistol permits. A NY state permit is NOT good in the city.
A non-resident CAN apply for a NYC license, but it's a lot of time,money, and very very difficult to get. A buisness permit(carry at your work only) may be possible in which case you could legally transport(in the trunk) to and from work.
Check handgunlaw.us, NY (city and state) is a mess when it comes to carry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup! You're Right!

"Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container."http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

Presumably, the Canadian Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence would suffice.
And what's more, they will need a letter from the Superintendent of NY State Police. There is an office within the Supt's office that deals with specifically this issue. That goes all the way back to the beginnings of the NY State pistol permit system. The State wanted to ensure that all the competitions (and New York used to be home to many such competitions... especially versus our Northern Neighbors) that would be affected by the "new" rules would not wind up dying off. Although, sad to say that they did pretty much anyway. As for a non-resident permit? They don't exist. Normally. The issuing judges and the Police Commissioner of the NYPD (issuing officer for NY City) have it within their power to issue a "special exemption" if "sufficient cause" is found for an individual whose life may be in danger, OR a non-resident business owner. But in the case of a business owner, the firearm MUST always remain in the premises except on bank runs, and the firearm license is issued to the business as a "corporate entity". The employees (or owner) who will be in possession of the weapon in question must be listed by name on the face of the permit. This is the same thing for armored car guards or armed security guards.
Rosie O'Donnell was able to get a NY City carry permit in this way, although she was a resident of Greenwich, Ct. As a "person of note" and as "one of the good guys"...(okayyy, NOT my call) Rosie qualified, per her attorneys. They plead the case before the NYPD's Handgun License Division (they have an actual Law Tribunal) and she got the hardest-to-obtain-handgun license in the country! Some people have all the luck... and since the Commissioner was a fan, welllll...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts