Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that NYPD has authorized the Springfield XDs for off duty carry. Apparently its a special edition with a new disconnector and grip safety spring to bring the gun into compliance with their policy for a specific trigger pull rate.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Still ruining a perfectly good self defense gun. The trigger pull weight required by new york is high.... May as well be dragging 's boat anchor with your finger

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
5-round mag with one in the chamber is one more round and a faster reload than a
J-Frame, but I think they will be mandated to the 9mm with more capacity.

A 7-round 9mm mag with a spare 8-round (or two spares) should work well for them.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Personally, if I were with any LE organization right now I would want something with a lot more capacity for off duty carry.
If you're off duty, then what difference does it make if you're law enforcement or not? Its either adequate personal protection or its not.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
If you're off duty, then what difference does it make if you're law enforcement or not? Its either adequate personal protection or its not.
I guess that depends on a lot of factors such as whether or not you live in a community you police and how likely it is for you to get involved in an event while off duty.

My EDC is an XDm and the XDs is a great gun. Like I said, I would just choose a different tool in that situation.

·
Banned
134 Posts
I guess that depends on a lot of factors such as whether or not you live in a community you police and how likely it is for you to get involved in an event while off duty.

My EDC is an XDm and the XDs is a great gun. Like I said, I would just choose a different tool in that situation.
They can always carry their duty guns. A lot of the NYPD officers are carrying Glock 19's. They are wanting a smaller, more concealable option. The XDs fits that bill nicely.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
don't really care what is approved for NYPD. Cops in my hood carry 15 round Glock 22's with a G27 for back up......and no ridiculous 15 lb trigger that absolutely kills any accuracy you absolutely need in a combat situation. It's really no wonder NYPD shoots so many innocent bystanders.....but that boat anchor trigger makes the city safer, and gets cops killed.

·
Banned
134 Posts
don't really care what is approved for NYPD. Cops in my hood carry 15 round Glock 22's with a G27 for back up......and no ridiculous 15 lb trigger that absolutely kills any accuracy you absolutely need in a combat situation. It's really no wonder NYPD shoots so many innocent bystanders.....but that boat anchor trigger makes the city safer, and gets cops killed.
If your hood is Orlando, they are transitioning to the Sig P320 in 9mm. I went to the armorers course sponsored by Orlando PD. Should be finished with the transition by now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glock NY triggers are pretty shootable, in my experience. It remains to be seen how the XDs will fare. Hopefully Springfield will make it a usable trigger package with a heavy pull but a decent feel.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Were I off-duty LEO I would be carrying an FNX45 as a minimum...

Reactions: gen3 and zonker1986

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Sometimes you're a target.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I agree 100% with this, the sad part is not too long ago they wanted to get machine guns for the dept. No, Im not talking about bad reporting where they meant AR's, actual automatic weapons. One of these days maybe they will realize that you cant make up for poor training with "better" gear.

Sometimes you're a target.
This is true, but people who are not LEO are also sometimes targeted. I guess I dont spend any time around the police station to know how often people try to kill any of the officers while they are off duty, but if I were a betting man, Id bet that there is a much greater chance of being targeted because you're alone, dressed nice, driving a nice car, you seem to have no SA, etc than someone planning an attack on you specifically because you're an off duty cop. If they are targeting a cop, obviously it probably has something to do with that cop arresting them, again, obviously because they committed/were suspected of committing a crime, and more than likely the victim of the crime they were being arrested for was not a cop, or at least they didnt know they were a cop. Just my opinion. Not saying I think every cop should stick to an LCP, Im just saying I think EVERYONE should carry what they feel is adequate protection.

My brother is jealous that I can have a .40 or a .45 while he is only allowed to have 9mm, both on and off duty, as NYPD.
Leave it to NY to have the only police dept that actually has MORE restrictions on guns than most citizens. While Im an advocate for LEO's not being given special privileges for firearms, I think its ridiculous that a department has any control over off duty carry.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts