Defensive Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows with the 10rd magazine limit in NYS, can you have a magazine capable of holding more say like a 12 or 15rd but use like mag blocks or some way to reduce the capacity of that magazine without purchasing another magazine? Basically my choices are very limited because of the 10 Rd limit

·
Registered
211 Posts
As far as I know as of last year you can not have a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. This just one of the reasons I moved from Sullivan County NY to East Tennessee.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Here is the official site:

https://safeact.ny.gov/

Any mods to limit mag capacity to 10 have to be permanent. And the grace period has passed, so bringing a mag that holds more than 10 somewhere to get modded might be an issue. Consult an attorney before you get yourself in trouble. Or just get the 10 round mags and destroy the others.

Note that a judge in Western NY overturned the "you can only load 7 rounds" rule, but there is no consensus about whether that applies throughout the state, or only in that judge's juristiction. I did read where the NY State Police have been told not to enforce the "only 7" rule, but other agencies may or may not follow that guidance.

I grew up in NYC, went to USMA at West Point NY, and was stationed at Ft Drum in upstate NY. It is a shame that NY State politics is dominated by NYC. The rest of the state is beautiful.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
38,993 Posts
Here is the official site:

https://safeact.ny.gov/

Any mods to limit mag capacity to 10 have to be permanent. And the grace period has passed, so bringing a mag that holds more than 10 somewhere to get modded might be an issue. Consult an attorney before you get yourself in trouble. Or just get the 10 round mags and destroy the others.

Note that a judge in Western NY overturned the "you can only load 7 rounds" rule, but there is no consensus about whether that applies throughout the state, or only in that judge's juristiction. I did read where the NY State Police have been told not to enforce the "only 7" rule, but other agencies may or may not follow that guidance.

I grew up in NYC, went to USMA at West Point NY, and was stationed at Ft Drum in upstate NY. It is a shame that NY State politics is dominated by NYC. The rest of the state is beautiful.

Good luck.
I spent the summer of 1981 at Camp Natural Bridge working with the cadets. Like you said, a shame for anotherwise beautiful place.

Reactions: 10thmtn
1 - 4 of 4 Posts