·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daniel Schwammenthal: Prosecuting American 'War Crimes' - WSJ.com

OPINION EUROPE
NOVEMBER 26, 2009, 7:04 P.M. ET

“Prosecuting American ‘War Crimes’
The International Criminal Court claims jurisdiction over U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.”
By DANIEL SCHWAMMENTHAL
The Hague

SNIPPET: “Secretary of State Hillary Clinton expressed “great regret” in August that the U.S. is not a signatory to the International Criminal Court (ICC). This has fueled speculation that the Obama administration may reverse another Bush policy and sign up for what could lead to the trial of Americans for war crimes in The Hague.

The ICC’s chief prosecutor, though, has no intention of waiting for Washington to submit to the court’s authority. Luis Moreno Ocampo says he already has jurisdiction—at least with respect to Afghanistan.

Because Kabul in 2003 ratified the Rome Statute—the ICC’s founding treaty—all soldiers on Afghan territory, even those from nontreaty countries, fall under the ICC’s oversight, Mr. Ocampo told me. And the chief prosecutor says he is already conducting a “preliminary examination” into whether NATO troops, including American soldiers, fighting the Taliban may have to be put in the dock.

“We have to check if crimes against humanity, war crimes or genocide have been committed in Afghanistan,” Mr. Ocampo told me. “There are serious allegations against the Taliban and al Qaeda and serious allegations about warlords, even against some who are connected with members of the government.” Taking up his inquiry of Allied soldiers, he added, “there are different reports about problems with bombings and there are also allegations about torture.”

It was clear who the targets of these particular inquiries are but the chief prosecutor shied away from spelling it out.”

SNIPPET: “Mr. Schwammenthal is an editorial writer for The Wall Street Journal Europe.”

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yup, I'm SURE this is going to help the attempts at recruiting just TONS! /sarc

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Sure; now we can hold all kinds of money-wasting hearings and trials for the things that happen in wars. What a progressive idea.

·
Super Moderator
24,661 Posts
I am so outraged I cannot post. The idiots and dolts running amuck in DC are just ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Them and that Holder dunce!

It is time for a regime change.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Any American that has anything to do with an agreement like that should be tried for treason.
Roger that.

We are living in the twilight zone.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
What son of a :banned: came up with this dumb :banned: idea? they need to be :banned: run out of this country. If they hate it this :banned: much then why the :banned: don't' they leave and start their own :banned: country and leave mine ALONE!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Sometimes you just have to wonder how we elected such a total NON-AMERICAN.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
What?:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:
Our soldiers?:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:
Do what to them?:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

I can't say anymore.:banned::banned::banned:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Wait, wait. I think I am having a nightmare. Tell me I am dreaming. This is NOT really happening. Is it 2012 yet?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Various cuss words preceded!!!!
Well that is my commander in chief. So I will just continue to cuss while I watch tv.
Can't wait untill the next elections is about the only thing civil I can say about this load of absolute Bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

That being said any one TRULY guilty of war crimes (rape, pillaging) are not ok in my book and they could be shot but ONLY after an American Military trial!!!

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I am not surprised by any of this! Not in the least.

I am however outraged beyond belief!

This administration can't end fast enough to suit me.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Idiots

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
9/11 ; attacks against non-combatants is against the Geneva Convention and all WAR CRIMES ....

As soon as they catch Bin Laden and all his cronies, then put him on trial and hang him. Then, come talk to us. In the meantime, they can get out of our way...... and not talk to us about "selective" political prosecutions.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I'm not big on impeachments but I think this would qualify.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I hate the idea of OBL being taken alive. The troops who take him alive will probably be charged with "brutality".

US troops should never go into battle with arrest warrants and flexicufs!

Gotta quit before I get fired up.

The motto should be "Buy More Bullets", "Take No Prisoners".

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Let him try it, and there WILL be another President elected in 2012, and it won't be him!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Who the Hell is the ICC and Why Are WE answering to them?
I thought we declared the war on terrorism.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Let me see if I have this right:

We're going to try terrorists (combatants) in our own civil courts... and hang our soldiers out to dry in a global court?

It seems the 2012 prophecy might have the ring of truth to it, though not in the way originally predicted.

As for the next election, I think a lot of people are going to vote Republican and be sorely disappointed to discover that they have only exchanged the Left jackboot for the Right.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts