Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
Mankind has been lying since it learned speech. This will change nothing.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Is the law only for if you make a monetary gain for lying about a service record? Or just lying about a service record?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The way I read it, it has to be monetary gain.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Is there any jurisdiction in which committing fraud for monetary or other tangible gain is not already a crime?

So what does this do that current fraud laws don't?
It makes people feel all warm and fuzzy inside, another law to punish something already wrong that likely won't be enforced or prosecuted.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like anything about pretending to have served our country to get my money or my sympathy but again fraud is already illegal and lying is already wrong.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If he hadn't signed it everybody on this post would have been calling him a commie and that he was dishonoring the veterans. Find something that really matters, like the economy. You can get him there.

Reactions: suntzu

·
Registered
562 Posts
There was a politician elected to office not long ago even after he was caught lying about being a Vietnam Vet. Wonder if he voted in favor of this one. Getting elected to office has to represent a tangible gain. I'm not sure who he represents, but their standards must be really low!

·
Premium Member
9,434 Posts
The previous Stolen Valor Act was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. Affirmed a Ninth Circuit en banc decision. The courts found that the prior act targeted false statements and nothing more. So this is the "fix" - some fraud or gain is being attached.

Hey, it's our right under the First Amendment to make blatantly false statements if the statements are just made for sake of making them. Anglers have been doing it for years...

This really is orthogonal to any political agenda. It's the best fix that can be managed given the first amendment.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Mankind has been lying since it learned speech. This will change nothing.
Yup. Politicians, too, who've been swearing to protect and defend the Constitution since they've been taking that oath.

Somethings never change.

I'm with Xader. Fraud with proven actual damages sustained by others is already covered by other existing statutes. Mere lying to appear better isn't much different then having a "fluffed-up" entry on one's resume, despite feeling far more distasteful given the realities of what veterans have done for us all. Seems to me that all the other remedies already exist, the ones that exist to cover other forms of fraud.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
There was a politician elected to office not long ago even after he was caught lying about being a Vietnam Vet. Wonder if he voted in favor of this one. Getting elected to office has to represent a tangible gain. I'm not sure who he represents, but their standards must be really low!
You mean the sleaze bag Richard Blumenthal from Connecticut that mentioned his combat experience in many of his campaign speeches and when caught, stated his comments were taken out of context.

Blumenthal received several draft deferments during the Vietnam War before enlisting in the Reserves. He served in United States Marine Corps Reserve units in Washington, D.C. and Connecticut from 1970 to 1976.[19] He attained the rank of sergeant and received an honorable discharge at the end of his enlistment.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
If he hadn't signed it everybody on this post would have been calling him a commie and that he was dishonoring the veterans. Find something that really matters, like the economy. You can get him there.
Nope i think i will trash him whenever and wherever it pleases me to .....after all he is supposed to be working for me.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
It boisters his false appreciation for our military.
Ever go to the VFW after the drinks have been flowing for awhile? Wonder how folks there embelished thier heroics?

·
Premium Member
9,434 Posts
It boisters his false appreciation for our military.
FYI, the first stolen valor act that signed by President Bush and that was struck down was sponsored by Democrats. This is just a "fix" in response to the S. Ct. striking down the first version of the act. The bill really is apolitical, and I wouldn't read any ulterior motives into this.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
Ever go to the VFW after the drinks have been flowing for awhile? Wonder how folks there embelished thier heroics?
No, I haven't gone there, but is stretching a war yarn to get a free beer now a federal crime?

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
No, I haven't gone there, but is stretching a war yarn to get a free beer now a federal crime?
That is the point. Under the old law which was deemed unconstitutional it could have been. Under the new law I doubt it unless some guy is trying to get free bee telling folks stories that aren not true.

BTW: I have been to the VFW maybe 5 times, all for business. Atmpsphere is not for me. But to each his own. My father in law lives at the VFW:smile:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Is there any jurisdiction in which committing fraud for monetary or other tangible gain is not already a crime?

So what does this do that current fraud laws don't?
Yes, the executive and legislative branches of .gov

1 - 20 of 32 Posts