Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has been 101 days since open carry became legal in Texas. I just saw my first person who was exercising that right. We were in a really crowded restaurant. No one seemed to notice or care in the least bit. That's how it is supposed to work. I am a little amazed. Maybe the recent event in Dallas has prompted a few more people to OC. Still not for me, I'll continue to carry concealed. But I do support the right to OC.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
"But I do support the right to OC."

I used to open carry nearly exclusively for 7 1/2 years but a year and a half ago, I went back to concealed carry. I still do open carry when in one of my vehicles or a few select places where I go. But most of the time, my sidearm is concealed. And like you I fully and completely support both modes of carry, believing this to be solely the decision of the individual.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Was wondering if you looked in the mirror.:image035:
While OC may not be so common, I have noticed quite a few more CC.
For some folks, concealed doesn't mean hidden. Just covered.
However, even just covered means it is not open carry.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
There are both advantages and disadvantages to every type carry.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Was wondering if you looked in the mirror.:image035:
While OC may not be so common, I have noticed quite a few more CC.
For some folks, concealed doesn't mean hidden. Just covered.
True, but you learn what to look for once you start carrying or know someone who does. Funny how one day carrying makes you notice the little things that tell you somebody else is packing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
True, but you learn what to look for once you start carrying or know someone who does. Funny how one day carrying makes you notice the little things that tell you somebody else is packing.
Very true. I try to make sure no one notices so I carry deep concealed such as this light rig for grocery gettin

walmartrig.png

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in Alabama, but in reasonably sized city. Open carry isn't a big deal, but I rarely ever see it. I think the last time I can remember seeing anyone OC was at Home Depot a few months ago. I was being all self conscious, trying not to show my concealed weapon while picking up a bag of fertilizer, and I saw this guy walk by with a 1911 on a drop holster. Kinda made me chuckle a little bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I live in Alabama, but in reasonably sized city. Open carry isn't a big deal, but I rarely ever see it. I think the last time I can remember seeing anyone OC was at Home Depot a few months ago. I was being all self conscious, trying not to show my concealed weapon while picking up a bag of fertilizer, and I saw this guy walk by with a 1911 on a drop holster. Kinda made me chuckle a little bit.
Same thing. Was concealed carrying in public for the first time feeling very self conscious wondering who could tell. Sitting at the lunch counter was a fellow open carrying a full size 1911. Sort of put me at ease.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't open carry because I don't want BG to know I am carrying and because I would feel everyone would be staring at me. That being said, I am disappointed that I have not seen a single soul OC.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I don't open carry because I don't want BG to know I am carrying and because I would feel everyone would be staring at me. That being said, I am disappointed that I have not seen a single soul OC.
If I may ask, why would you NOT want the BG to know you are armed? If he was breaking in on your home, the first thing you would do is announce you are armed. If you carry concealed, it is more time consuming to access your gun than if it was openly displayed. If the BG saw the openly carried sidearm, do you really think he would mess with YOU or go elsewhere for an easier target.

If you see a man wearing a gun, do not mess with him. He just might know how to use that gun.

I will give you advice from my 45+ years investigating crime scenes. Bad Guys go after the elderly, the weak, the crippled, the unarmed and those they feel cannot resist. Studies done in prisons have shown the thing a BG fears most is an armed person. In essence, you may be inviting an attack that you might not be able to overcome.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If I may ask, why would you NOT want the BG to know you are armed? If he was breaking in on your home, the first thing you would do is announce you are armed. If you carry concealed, it is more time consuming to access your gun than if it was openly displayed. If the BG saw the openly carried sidearm, do you really think he would mess with YOU or go elsewhere for an easier target.

If you see a man wearing a gun, do not mess with him. He just might know how to use that gun.

I will give you advice from my 45+ years investigating crime scenes. Bad Guys go after the elderly, the weak, the crippled, the unarmed and those they feel cannot resist. Studies done in prisons have shown the thing a BG fears most is an armed person. In essence, you may be inviting an attack that you might not be able to overcome.
I never understood that mentality either. During the L.A. riots korean shop owners were openly displaying firearms in front of and on the rooftops of their businesses. Their stores were mostly saved. During Katrina many people were guarding their property with openly displayed firearms. Same thing during the Ferguson riots. So it works as a deterrent during emergencies/disasters but somehow it's a disadvantage during every day life?

·
Registered
8,121 Posts

1- I Would never announce to a bad guy that I am armed. If they have a gun, they may not have been planning on using it, but they now have a reason to. They will figure out Im armed when they get shot, or see me pointing a gun at them.

2- there was a pretty widely covered story of an open carrier who was robbed at gun point and had his gun stolen. There is really no proof that open carry is any better or worse than concealed carry. I support both, methods, but will not agree that one is definitely better than the other.

Reactions: Texron

·
Registered
285 Posts

I would rather have the element of surprise on my side. I figure a bad guy will want to take out the person he perceives a threat, therefore, shoot the guy with the gun. Definitely, if you are talking about a mugging you are right. If it is late at night, and I am getting gasoline when some suspicious looking character approaches, I put my hand on my gun. Different circumstances might dictate which is the better option. I am comfortable with my choice.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i am in the camp that cc is better than open carry. as i would not want to "that guy" the bg targets first.

but then i live where the crooks have more rights then there victims.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Each method has benefits.

However, as was stated above, there was one man that made news for having his gun taken. Yet there was more to it than just what was mentioned. He was a little different from the norm. His gun was not loaded and he was bragging about what he would do. One of his neighbors gave him an education.

Flip side. Many people have had their concealed weapon taken during a simple quick grab. A good friend lost his concealed weapon, badge, wallet and watch in a normal robbery.

Fact is that very few will ever bother you if they see you have a weapon. They will go elsewhere instead of taking the chance of getting shot.

Many people have prevented a home invasion by simply announcing they have a gun to the attempted intruder. Nobody wants to get shot and that includes the bad guys. My own daughter, well trained by myself over the years, recently stopped two men from breaking in on her. She positioned herself in the entry foyer as these guys were trying to kick in her door. She yelled that if they come in, she would shoot to kill. They changed their target to a home across the street from her, where they were given pretty much the same from the man living there. Again they went to a third home and that is where police caught them. These guys wearing ski mask ran away from two homes where it was only announced by the homeowners that they were armed and prepared to shoot.

In my years of criminal investigation, I have had only one case where the idiot continued on in his misdeed and was shot.

I will take every advantage at my disposal to keep from having to shoot someone. Been there, done that and even the paperwork is overwhelming.

Nobody has ever tried to take my sidearm. Nobody ever doubted I would shoot even when we were working a liquor store robbery in progress where clerks had been shot. The two perps after being told they would be shot and the only safe way would be for them to surrender. They did and both will be behind bars for many years. They rather face time than be shot.

Nor do I want to be shot but that is a risk I take in the job for the pay I receive.

Reactions: Darenger

·
Registered
58 Posts
I still haven't seen anybody open carrying here in Texas yet.

I just don't want the attention, I keep to myself, don't want anybody asking about my gun or whatnot. But I do like that others now have the option, and that I don't have to worry about printing at all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts