Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....and man did it suck, we were certified with first defense brand spray. the class we took from our instructor really hyped it up to be worse then what it was though. anyway our class consisted of level 1 contamination followed by our faced sprayed with water to speed up the burn on it. we ran through and performed knee strikes, elbow strikes, and disarming and cuffing a subject. all in all it was a good group experience but man did it burn like crazy. it really gives you a good respect for OC. also were now carrying first defense mk4 X2

good times

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
OC really is a fun experience :rolleyes: but it does show you that you can fight through it even though you are totally messed up. A guy in our class got a light load and then told to stand to for a "respray". Poor guy had to stand there burning until another deputy could give him a full load. We were required to give a radio call giving our location as the first task after being sprayed. I started before the spray was over and got a pretty good load down the windpipe which makes the whole experience even worse. Glad I did it but don't really want to do it again.

Welcome to the club!:bier:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have my certificate and I HOPE I never need to be sprayed again! I'm retired and would only plan to be a "giver" NOT a "receiver" when it comes to O.C. !!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
definatly its nasty stuff and like you said it shows you can still be in the fight while contaminated, but it takes alot out of you.

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
thank you for keeping the public safe

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
....and man did it suck, we were certified with first defense brand spray. the class we took from our instructor really hyped it up to be worse then what it was though. anyway our class consisted of level 1 contamination followed by our faced sprayed with water to speed up the burn on it. we ran through and performed knee strikes, elbow strikes, and disarming and cuffing a subject. all in all it was a good group experience but man did it burn like crazy. it really gives you a good respect for OC. also were now carrying first defense mk4 X2
good times
Man those training classes for working in a high school are getting a lot tougher.:rofl:

Kidding aside...that stuff is hot. Anyone who carried an OC spray should buy two and try one of them outside. Just a little spray back, which is very likely in a SD situation, is an eye-opener, errrr, an eye-closer!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
IMO, I would rather deal with tear gas(CS) than OC. I had CS exposure every year for 5 years during my active duty time. I only had one full exposure to OC during my police academy time. OC messed me up way more than CS ever did. I will say that my second exposure (only breathed it in) to OC wasn't bad. It clears up strep throat pretty well. LOL.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
IMO, I would rather deal with tear gas(CS) than OC.
CS is nothing. I had a blast in the gas chamber watching all the other ones freak out.

I've been OC'd around 7 times that I can think of. It sucks, but it's dealable.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will try to get some video up soon for the mean time heres a nice picture of the experience

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
In you guys' opinion what sucks more/worse for OC?

* Majority eyes
* Majority nose
* Majority mouth/throat

Definition of "majority" being primary point of spray impact and resulting chemical effect.

- Janq

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In you guys' opinion what sucks more/worse for OC?

* Majority eyes
* Majority nose
* Majority mouth/throat

Definition of "majority" being primary point of spray impact and resulting chemical effect.

- Janq

my eyes stopped burning fairly quick because i forced them open and blinked constantly with running water and a fan. the worst pain for me was my ears and face it felt like i had dipped it in scalding water but definatly was still in the fight, the eyes werent that bad though just felt like there was a bag of sand poured in them

·
Registered
249 Posts
20% of the population is not affected by OC. The other 80% is affected in varying degrees from a mild reaction to extreme reaction. Sounds like you were not as affected as others. We were sprayed with Fox Labs 5.2 (5.2 MILLION Scoville Heat Units). Since Oleoresin Capsicum is oil-based, Dawn detergent or baby shampoo works to get it out of the skin.

8 hours after exposure, my face was still on fire. Eyes were still swollen more than 3 days afterward. We had DT the day after and one of my classmates had it reactivated in his eyes and was incapacitated again. We had to get sprayed, then do hand strikes, baton strikes, knee strikes, and find and take down a suspect at gunpoint while making the "officer needs help" radio call. We had to fight through it. A few of my classmates were like you, they were able to function again fairly quickly. Others were in PAIN for hours, and were NOT able to drive.

I'd rather get tased 20 times than get sprayed with OC again. At least with a taser, it only feels like hell for that few seconds. With OC, it feels like hell for hours/days. I actually felt like I was going to die at one point.

·
Registered
393 Posts
T11B, you look about typical. When I had the class it did not effect me that much... I could have run around the block if I could have seen where I was going. I could breath ok. Eyes where shut in about 45 seconds to a minute, after that I would have to take my fingers to open them. The real worst of the burning was my eyebrows. A couple of the other guys' faces looked sunburned and eyes bloodshot the whole next day. It really does vary.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Welcome to the "I got sprayed with OC and all I got were these lousy red eyes" club

yes....it sucked....it sucked bad
we had to do CS chamber in the academy too and it was effective but went away pretty quickly.....I can't say the same for OC, it kicked my tail bad
I got foamed, it doesn't kick in as fast as the spray but it lasts WAY longer. We had to find a baton on the ground a few feet away while saying radio phrases, then go hit the pad held by instructor until he was satisfied you had fought through it enough. then we went in groups of fours up the elevator to the locker room. I was in the shower for 30 minutes, even after that I couldn't keep my eyes open, stood in front of a fan for another 30 minutes. I could barely see after that, had to wait a few more to drive home.

Janq....I didn't get any throat affects, just eyes which then made my nose run like Niagra falls. I have felt the effects in my throat from other officer's spray, not direct but just molecules in the air making me cough (officer's can leaked from his pouch and I walked into the room and felt the effects.....now thats some strong stuff)

LM2024......I too would rather get tased 20 times and go through the CS chamber 10 more times than to get the OC again.

All of this is why I will not hesitate to shoot anyone that gets my OC in a fight or brings their own to the dance. I'm fully justified due to the effect it had on me.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
BTW as an FYI for you guys know that milk...regular old store bought can be found anywhere...dairy from a cow (not rice or soy) milk will chemically and completely neutralize pepper spray.

As is well known a soap product will reduce it's effects but that's only because when in concentrate applied to an area it will act as a barrier against the OC by displacing it's oil carrier from the skin area, including the surface of ones eyes and that of the outer ear. But it doesn't neutralize.

Milk though chemically neutralizes it at a molecular level acting more/most efficiently as a displacement method, more so than soap.
And it works immediately and unlike soap can be ingested by mouth and applied with no ill effects internally such at the eyes and inner ear area.

In a pinch cream (Carnation), half & half, as well as sour cream (fermented milk as a solid) can be used as well.
It's a matter of chemistry.

I learned this trick 20 yrs. ago after handling peppers at a farm, without gloves!, and winding up with a mild case of painful chemical burns.
I'd later learned that professional chefs and cooks who handle hot peppers first layer their hands in an oil to act as a boundary carrier prior.

$0.02 Street

- Janq

P.S. - This would only apply to straight OC.
OC/CS chemical combinants such as Aerko product, which I carry, will not be wholly affected by such method.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
CS is nothing. I had a blast in the gas chamber watching all the other ones freak out.

I've been OC'd around 7 times that I can think of. It sucks, but it's dealable.
I did too. I only had one bad CS exposure, during boot camp. It was only bad because I was sick before the chamber and I coughed with mask off and breathed in the CS. I had to force myself to calm down so I wouldnt get thrown out and have to do it again. With OC, I was still feeling effects hours later with direct exposure.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you got sprayed did your face peel the next day? It happened to my class. It took about 40min for my eyes to go back to normal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts