Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a big town called tempe that borders a big city and houses a very large liberal college, so you don't see a huge number of people OCing. I do it once in a while and I usually get stares, but I've never gotten a comment... until I went to a small town.

Me and a few friends (most of them army and marines) went out to a town in the middle of nowhere to shoot my new AR15 and my friend's new FN FS2000 in the desert. We stopped at a little no-name gas station to get some food and water. Keep in mind we're all OCing 1 or 2 pistols and we're dressed in BDUs and desert gear (since it was around 110 degrees that day).

We walk into the gas station and there are 3 employees. Three women... I'd say they were around 60, 40, and 30 years old. The older lady looks at my friend who has 2 pistols and says "Hey there, I could really use a good pistol, do you have a spare?" At this point they're all kind of laughing. We then asked them if they knew any good shooting spots and the 40ish woman gave us directions to an amazing abandoned quarry. We bought some stuff, thanked them and left. I suppose that's the difference between a big town and a small town. :)

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I love small towns

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What town was this? I lived all around Phoenix for a long time and used to go shooting in the desert often.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I live in a big town called tempe that borders a big city and houses a very large liberal college, so you don't see a huge number of people OCing. I do it once in a while and I usually get stares, but I've never gotten a comment... until I went to a small town.

Me and a few friends (most of them army and marines) went out to a town in the middle of nowhere to shoot my new AR15 and my friend's new FN FS2000 in the desert. We stopped at a little no-name gas station to get some food and water. Keep in mind we're all OCing 1 or 2 pistols and we're dressed in BDUs and desert gear (since it was around 110 degrees that day).

We walk into the gas station and there are 3 employees. Three women... I'd say they were around 60, 40, and 30 years old. The older lady looks at my friend who has 2 pistols and says "Hey there, I could really use a good pistol, do you have a spare?" At this point they're all kind of laughing. We then asked them if they knew any good shooting spots and the 40ish woman gave us directions to an amazing abandoned quarry. We bought some stuff, thanked them and left. I suppose that's the difference between a big town and a small town. :)
It's strange to hear Tempe called a big town. When I lived in Phoenix and Tucson, the only things of note in Tempe were the Wrigley Mansion and the Arizona State Teacher's College. Phoenix was about 80k and Tucson wasn't even 50k yet. Of course, that was in the mid-50s. :image035:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
It's strange to hear Tempe called a big town. When I lived in Phoenix and Tucson, the only things of note in Tempe were the Wrigley Mansion and the Arizona State Teacher's College. Phoenix was about 80k and Tucson wasn't even 50k yet. Of course, that was in the mid-50s. :image035:
HA! Tempe is mildly larger now than it was then ;-). None the less, it's still an amazing area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tempe's not huge, but I grew up in a tiny farming town, so it's big to me.
The little town is Globe. It's only a bit over 1.5 hours from me and it's a great place to go shooting. You can drive about 15 mins from the first gas station and there are tons of old quarries and mountains that provide nice backstops.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Yep, small towns are the only way to go.

I live in a small town in Shelby County Tennessee. Shelby County is extremely LIBERAL. You can't swing a stick in this County with out hitting some morons car who has an Obama sticker on it. But, in my small town, which is pretty conservative, there are more than 20 of us I know of who open carry the majority of the time.

Never had a bad comment, never had a bad experience other than one Memphis cop who lives out here giving me a hard time while he stood in MY drive way. But I just told him to get lost and have since gotten to know him. He's still much dumber than I think a LEO should be but at least he is now better educated on the laws concerning OC in Tennessee.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The little town is Globe. It's only a bit over 1.5 hours from me and it's a great place to go shooting. You can drive about 15 mins from the first gas station and there are tons of old quarries and mountains that provide nice backstops.
And Superior and all the little copper mining towns that are probably ghost towns now. Not to mention Florence Junction, Florence, Apache Junction ...

It's hard to believe it been over 50 years since I've been to those places.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I live in a small town with a population of about 5k in the winter.

During the summer though, population can get up to 25k from all the tourists. Maybe if I start OCing, people will be less likely to come back! :image035:

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
Oh boy - I guess size is one of those things that depends on where you come from. Tempe's permanent population is about 175,000; then add another 10,000+ for ASU students living on campus. Having grown up in a tiny town in NJ that today has maybe 5000, Tempe seems HUGE!

I've been thru Globe a few times recently and you can tell the town has seen better days. I wonder about the stories some of those old, shuttered buildings could tell.

Back to the subject of the post, however, in 6 years out here I don't ever recall seeing anyone carrying openly in Tempe (I work there), but I have in the outlying towns (Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert) as well as Phoenix. Not often, but - no one seems to be bothered by it.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I live in a small town with a population of about 5k in the winter.

During the summer though, population can get up to 25k from all the tourists. Maybe if I start OCing, people will be less likely to come back! :image035:
Brings to mind an old redneck phrase: "if we can't shoot 'em, why do they call it Tourist Season?"

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Oh boy - I guess size is one of those things that depends on where you come from. Tempe's permanent population is about 175,000; then add another 10,000+ for ASU students living on campus. Having grown up in a tiny town in NJ that today has maybe 5000, Tempe seems HUGE!
I'm with ya there. Most cities and towns in Oregon east of the Cascades are smaller than mine, and we only have about 15k permanent, though that number nearly doubles during picking season. People drive for over an hour to go grocery shopping here.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I live in a small rural town. I see lots of guns in pickup truck racks. During hunting seasons, I see hunters and hear shots all the time. I have even hunted and shot on my own property. If the range is snowed in I will walk back about 1000 feet, set up a target and fire away.

The next larger town is 10 miles away. Occasionally there are guns in racks, but not nearly as many as 20 years ago. There are probably as many guns in the trucks, just not as visible as before.

I don't recall seeing any OC, but I don't go there alot. However, there are lots of CCers. When we had our pictures taken, the photo place said they do lots of them for Concealed Permits.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I grew up in AZ and its a great place to shoot. I have family in Glob and all over East AZ. Another great place to shoot is Queen Creek.

·
Registered
246 Posts

I've been thru Globe a few times recently and you can tell the town has seen better days. I wonder about the stories some of those old, shuttered buildings could tell.

Back to the subject of the post, however, in 6 years out here I don't ever recall seeing anyone carrying openly in Tempe (I work there), but I have in the outlying towns (Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert) as well as Phoenix. Not often, but - no one seems to be bothered by it.
You probably saw me OCing my Glock 27. :image035:

·
Registered
106 Posts

Hey Guy,
I OC Daily in a small town in Arizona, you may have heard of it, Cave Creek. The locals quit staring at me years ago, but every sno-bird season I hafta endure the stares (I really don't notice it anymore) and the nuts who feel compelled to come up to me and ask questions, like "Are you a cop?"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts