Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal to OC a rifle or shotgun in Tennessee? I know the law states that you can have a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle to go armed as long as there is not a round in the chamber. But what about just being in public on foot? Or going to Wall-Mart or the grocery store with a rifle or shotgun slung over your shoulder? I have no intent on trying. Just curious if I was protected by my SECOND AMENDMENT if I ever felt I had a reason to.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd say no. Even if it is legal you're going to meet a very unhappy LEO, most likely at gunpoint.
I'd be suprised if you made it in the door

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
A quick call to the local Sheriff's Dept. ought to clear things up. If it's like Kentucky, a LOT of it depends on your location. Backwood road in West Ky? No problem. Downtown Louisville Street? You may attract some (unwanted) attention.

·
Registered
29 Posts
39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon. —

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

You cannot carry a firearm (e.g. a rifle) in Tennessee unless you have a TN Handgun Carry Permit, which only permits handguns obviously.

However, you may carry it if it is unloaded:

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon. —

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon. —

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

You cannot carry a firearm (e.g. a rifle) in Tennessee unless you have a TN Handgun Carry Permit, which only permits handguns obviously.

However, you may carry it if it is unloaded:

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon. —

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;
Ovetaker beat me to it. He's right. The carry permit in TN is for Handguns only. You can't even carry a contact weapon such as a telescoping baton in TN without going through extra training and certification.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts