1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I can't offer much as I am in the same position as you, I will be looking into this alternative also.

"When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die you are smiling and everyone around you is crying."

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Here's what I now use... DPS Pepper Spray - Pepper Spray - J & L Self Defense Products :yup:

Whatever you DO decide to buy, get an extra to practice with (I prefer the stream)...use it on a windy day...how far does it REALLY spray?
In a little wind, you WILL get a bit in your eyes, can you handle that?
In a parking lot, you want to know your limitations...you won't know what they are if you don't try it out. OMOYMV

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so whats the difference between fog, foam and spray?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've used OC quite a bit, though not lately, (darn!!!) and here is what I experienced.

1. If you use it, you will get it on you. Be prepared to cry a little, it's only temporary.
2. At close range, fog is instantly effective and less likely to miss or injure an eye. However, it is very susceptible to the wind and is nasty in a confined space (say, office size).
3. Stream has good reach and better accuracy, but you have to aim it more. Close range can splash back on you. Not as quickly effective on breathing if mouth/nose not directly hit.
4. Percentage of OC in can is less important than quality of product and delivery system as a whole.
5. Foam can be wiped off and thrown at you, but does not contaminate the air anywhere near as much as any of the others.
6. It's lots of fun!

Cheers

·
Registered
350 Posts
A can that can withstand being used as an impact weapon. It will be more effective than the OC.- George
Interesting. I've heard reliable accounts from people I know that OC has been very effective in street defense situations.

Also, using impact weapons requires one be within striking distance and also requires that the defender have the physical strength/skill to reliably hit the attacker in a way that stops an attack. That takes quite a bit of skill/luck and isn't reliable against a bigger, stronger, or more "fighting skilled" opponent.

Since I've never used OC in a defensive situation, I have no first-hand experience. I'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts on OC. If you've already published it in another post, or blog, would apprediate a link. Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Something I think everyone should own, non-lethal yet still very effective.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Sabre Red or Fox Labs in fog pattern are, IMHO, the best. If you doubt how effective it is, get some and have a friend give you a good sustained shot of it. In the academy we were sprayed with it to show that you can fight through it, but it is bad stuff. Between being tazed or sprayed, I'll take the taze any day....

·
Registered
473 Posts
+1 on Retsupt's advice. The wife and I carry Fox Labs 5.3 in spray and foam (in the car) versions.
Are you saying the foam is your "in the car" setup or is there something else im unaware of?? I was thinking of buy a couple of the 2oz. fliptops in stream for me and the GF to keep in the car.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Remember, when the manufacturers say "FOG" it's not like the mist from a deodorant can, it's much more directional and more like WD40 through the straw. You will still get distance but a few feet shorter than the stream which is more like a small diameter stream. For someone who is not trained the fog is by far the best to get.

Think of it like a pistol vs a shotgun. Those of you who have used a shotgun at self defense ranges know that the spread you get is minimal but it's more than a single hole. The same holds true for the fog vs stream.

Also don't forget to get at least 2 of the decon wipes per person to keep on you. They aren't a magical instant feel good but they will, when used correctly shorten the period of looking like Cujo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think what mercop is referring to is the fact that OC doesn't physically stop people like a bullet, a fist or a baseball bat. It merely makes you feel like you are on fire. Uncomfortable, but if you know that is all it is and are determined to carry on you can do so without much trouble. This is exactly why police officers have to get sprayed with it themselves before they carry it.

However, most folks that get sprayed, in my personal experience, stop fighting the instant it hits them in the face. So, it is not a perfect tool by any means, but it is a highly effective one (on most folks) to have in your arsenal. Like any tool though, know its limitations and have a plan for when things don't go as expected.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Go with the Fox Labs 5.3 or the Sabre Red.:yup:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys that helps a lot. I think I will go with the fox labs fog. Theres so many different kinds, I'm sure they are all effective but it's a bit intimidating browsing page after page and have no idea what your looking at. I will get 2 cans as well so I can practice with one. I probably won't spray myself but I would like to get hit with a little of it so I know what to expect if I ever have to spray anyone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are you saying the foam is your "in the car" setup or is there something else im unaware of?? I was thinking of buy a couple of the 2oz. fliptops in stream for me and the GF to keep in the car.
The only reason we chose to have foam located in the car, is that we have a five year old and the OC is located near the child's door. In case the wife had to deploy the OC in the close proximity of our child, cross contamination would be a no no...

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I like the sprays with the tops like the Fox or MSI/Mace brand. No chance of firing it in the wrong direction and easy to use under stress. It works if you fire with your thumb or trigger finger. I keep a small MSI 10% in my gear at work for in case of "Angry dog".

I'm not a fan of the fog sprays, too much backspray in any wind. I'm sensitive to OC. I'd use the foam if anybody made it in a keychain sized spray. Yes, they can flick it at you, but nothing says you have to stay within range after you use it. You should be moving, and preferably away, after.

That said, after my MSI expires or gets used, I believe I'll try the Kimber launcher. I like the way that works. Good range, little backspray.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts