• With the whole family?

Votes: 60 74.1%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a curious question:

Do you carry OC generally with your wife/husband? How about with the kids?

I'm interested in the statistical tendancies here...:scratchchin:

My wife is a "Recovering Liberal" due not to me, but to our brand-spanking new Administration (and I don't mean this site...). Still, she is uncomfortable around guns, and always has been. I CC around her and the kiddo, but OC will take some time.

You?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I chose "with the whole family" as it seemed the most appropriate.

While I am not married or have children, I do OC with my fiance and when I'm with my mother. When I eventually have kids, I'll be OCing with them.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Since FL doesn't allow it, my only attempt was when vacationing in IN and MI last summer. My efforts were when I was out on my own...I did not want to try it with the grandkids...too many questions for a short visit. My attempts proved to be uneventful.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I am divorced, my ex-spouse lives in Texas, but I do OC around my kids. I see no harm, its legal here. I have only been doing it for a short time, and so far, have had no issues.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Since both of my son's live in Indiana and I'm in VA, it's just around my wife. However I wouldn't hesitate to OC around them since they both have carry permits also.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I OC at home around my whole family. All three of my children are avid hunters and marksmen. They have been since they were able to handle firearms safely. I would not have a problem OCing at my father's or younger brother's home either as my entire dad's side of the family carry.

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
Since my missus is a sporadic (albeit licensed) cc-er, she's not against OC on religious or political grounds, but she feels strongly that neighbors, friends, and others have no need to know we are armed in public. I am coming around to her way of thinking.

I don't want someone targeting any one of our houses because they know we have guns. We both travel frequently as well, so someone could take notice of us leaving, and jack our house specifically to snag some firearms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I only have a girlfriend, but generally speaking, I really think OC'ing with the family keeps the negative-nannies off your back (they probably believe it's "impolite" to confront someone about something like legally open carrying a firearm(s) in front of a family.)

'Strange how that seems to work, ain't it?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
No OC here but when I was an LEO in the 80's I would carry open or concealed

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Yep, I OC maybe 95% of the time in the spring-summer-fall. When ever it isn't too cold here to be with out a jacket. That includes when I am by myself, with the wife (who also carries) and when the whole family is together.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Considering in public its not legal to OC in Florida, except on your own property I voted around the whole family.
Simply because when visiting family the cover shirts come off for us, and those of us carrying OC around the house.
I usually OC when doing yardwork.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Voted family as well. However, I CC with them too. When I am out on my own I always OC. Family is about 50/50. OC when I am out alone with the girls. Never had an issue with it, alone of with family.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Voted OC with the whole family, wife, 3 grown daughters and 2 son-in-laws, one that is a member of our local PD.

·
Registered
934 Posts
i dont have a spouse, but i carry with my brother and his wife and daughter, my mom dad etc

one of my brothers has his GFL the other wants his but hasnt got it or a pistol yet, and his wife wants one.....

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I was not sure how to answer. I OC almost anytime I'm headed out of or headed into the woods of the family acrage. I'll continue to OC if we are headed into town, but would most likely go back to CC if there was time to head into the house and get cleaned up. With the exception of when I hunt (I've always hunted on private land, not sure how it applies to public land), when I then CC a pistol (legal in MI as CC permit holder), as I'm not 100% certain of how OC applies vs hunting capacity / caliber limitations.

Then I will often partial OC (OWB holster with a jacket on) during the fall when on an evening walk.

So when I OC has nothing to do with who (whom?) I'm with.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just OC by myself due to the fact that I don't have girlfriend/wife at the moment. Or any family that lives close by for that matter. It's just me against the world these days. So I usually OC unless I am having a CC kinda day. If I did have a spouse I am not sure what I would do. Thats a good question really. If I was around my brother I would probably OC. But probably not around my parents or grandparents. I would probably CC.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wish i could OC around the family but the wife freaks out if I do... she is an NRA Life member cause she believes in the 2nd amend. but hates guns- I know it's weird.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think I have only open carried once around my fiance. Normally if we go shopping and I try too she says she'll just wait in the car. So instead of making her mad I go without it (In Wisconsin a gun has to be encased and unloaded when traveling, so I have to holster up when I get somewhere). The only time I carried around her was when I went to a movie one night with her and some friends of ours. I holstered up fairly quick before she really knew what I was doing. But due to there being more than just us, she didn't get as mad and was over it in no time. Funny thing was though...As we walked into the theater and sat down the couple in front of us noticed my gun. Soon as we sat behind them they got up and moved. They had some great seats too!

Really the only reason my fiance doesn't like me OCing is because of the fact that in Wisconsin it's still not generally accepted and could cause problems. We could get asked to leave a store, or the police could even get called. Also, people may look at me funny. None of that has ever happened to me while I carry, but she still doesn't like it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts