Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Awesome, R&G!

I remember my first time I OC'd. I went to the Volkswagen dealer. I got a lot of stares, but no one shouted "SHE'S GOT A GUN!"

I also OC'd at my grocery store. No stares, no comments, nothing. I was a little disappointed.
I've had the same reaction, or rather a non-reaction.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I OC'd on a daily basis for 7 1/2 years, from 2007 to the end of 2014. In that entire time, I only had one negative encounter and that was from someone who claimed he was a retired LEO. Judging from his accent, he was definitely not from Virginia; I would guess from somewhere up in the northeast. Never had a problem with local or state police at all. Quite the contrary. All of them that I saw while carrying clearly supported my decision.

I only CC now, though there are still a few times and places where I OC. And when in one of my vehicles, I always expose my sidearm and wrap my shoulder belt behind the grip so that I have immediate access to it should I need it. My decision to revert to CC has its reasons but be assured that I fully and completely support both modes of carry and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Way to go!

I have bought some nice looking grips and holsters and it seems a sin to keep them covered up, especially when I am feeling color coordinated. My purse matches my new Vette; I am thinking I should go for an open carry rig that matches the Vette or has the logo... but something with a bit of a feminine touch. I will probably have to get that custom made!

I have been very carefully starting to do a little OC here and there, way outside of the city. I am still "gun shy" since that incident at work. I think doing a little OC might be therapeutic for me...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The only time I've had any reaction was once when at the check-out in a store.... it was a younger girl. She kept looking in the area I was wearing the gun and I think the fastest anyone had ever checked me thru the checkout. LOL . Even though I said things to her, she never responded and never said a word. I was chuckling a bit about it when I left.

Good job, keep it up.
You have to have something prepared for a situation like that. When you caught her staring, you should have simply said, "Are you amazed by the size?"

·
Registered
973 Posts
I typically see one a week at my part time job and they are typically younger men in their mid 20's. After Orlando they were everywhere I looked and all ages. I am yet to observe a woman open carrying. I am sure they are out there in my neck of the woods though.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Premium Member
24,509 Posts
I find my ratio is probably 10-1 on comments. Most people don't pay attention.

On a side note. Was leaving a Subway Sandwich shop the other day. Guy ask me "Is that a real firearm?". I told him "yes", he just nodded and said "OK". Not sure if that was a positive or negative inter-action.

·
Super Moderator
23,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
People open carry here all the time. Its no big deal. But why walk around being "That Guy"?
Well, to try to answer you:

I am a small, quiet unassuming 50-60 something that is well dressed, soft-spoken, and out in the mountains and lakes so I don't know if that meets your stereotypical "that guy" definition;

First, I was out to see some new folks I had never met before, at their house, in the daylight, for a potential Craig's List purchase;
My dear wife had her's nominally concealed;
He and his wife did not meet the "high risk" profile;
My OC opened up a discussion about guns including laws, reasons to carry, licenses, UBC idiocy, NICS, and my sparkly 1911 XSE in stainless with unicorn ivory grips;​

They were nice folks, in a nice neighborhood, about as low risk as vanilla ice cream...............

And assumedly, since they didn't run into their house screaming "gun" and calling 911 I didn't appear to be a) A thug or B) "That Guy" whatever THAT means........ :rofl:

It was a positive experience.

Second, since I mentioned ice-cream, we stopped at an ice cream stand.........
The young manager commented about my unicorn ivory grips, and offered she was considering purchasing and carrying a gun.
We, again, discussed that matter, even suggesting as a small business manager that it might behoove her to carry.......
And again, it was a positive interaction.​

Several other stops had taken place, a couple of shops, and no one reacted. At all. :hand5:

Now, having said that, I conceal carry a lot too. It just depends on where I am going, what I am doing, and the type of person I might meet. Situational awareness. :smile:

However, by OC yesterday, I had a positive interaction with three different folks that might join our side of the debate.

I think that is good. :yup:

I assume since nothing at all happened, I was a poster child for constitutional carry and guns. I made a good first, second and third impression apparently. Not bad. Maybe I got some folks thinking about guns in a positive light. That would not have happened had I CC'd.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You have to have something prepared for a situation like that. When you caught her staring, you should have simply said, "Are you amazed by the size?"
If a woman says that it's funny, if a guy says that he goes to jail, especially when referring to "his gun".

·
Registered
197 Posts
If a woman says that it's funny, if a guy says that he goes to jail, especially when referring to "his gun".
Just say "My apologies. Is my fly down?" I've only said something like that once when a gas station attendant was staring so hard she wasn't ringing me up. I appendix carry or appendix cross draw when I OC, so the stare is usually in that general area.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Actually...as funny as it sounds given we've all heard the fire extinguisher argument... It just so happens my Jeep OC's a small fire extinguisher and that too has generated positive conversations. :rolleyes:
Man...I had a sweet VW Super Beetle I rebuilt with my dad. I had it from 16 to 22 and carried an extinguisher religiously the entire time. I probably used it a dozen times at least. Fuel filters on those things were notorious for catching on fire. I got so good that I could jump out, put out the fire, replace the filter and be back in the road in about 3 minutes flat.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I said nothing about a gun in that post. It was up to the store clerk to determine the "what" I was talking about in that situation. It would be funnier if you are carrying your NAA revolver...

Hmmmm, if a guy caught me staring and said something like that to me, I probably would have replied "impressive" or "not impressive" depending on the circumstances. But it would be "my bad" for being rude and staring in the first place.

I was just hoping a few of you blew some milk and cookies out of your noses when you first read my other post, LOL.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
People open carry here all the time. Its no big deal. But why walk around being "That Guy"? I keep a gun in my waist band, ready to use my ninja focus skills.
As a smaller female, cute, who has lived many years alone, had her own home, RV, travel, etc., I KNOW that OC has deterred many from trying to take advantage or hurt me in some way. It is now regular practice for me, when I move somewhere new, to get "caught" open carrying, so that neighbors can spread the word that I am not an easy victim. I am sure I am "that woman" down the street, and I like it that way.:image035: -- Just a different perspective.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
First, I was out to see some new folks I had never met before, at their house, in the daylight, for a potential Craig's List purchase;
It is now regular practice for me, when I move somewhere new, to get "caught" open carrying, so that neighbors can spread the word that I am not an easy victim
I had never seen a need or an advantage to me open carrying, but these both make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As a smaller female, cute, who has lived many years alone, had her own home, RV, travel, etc., I KNOW that OC has deterred many from trying to take advantage or hurt me in some way. It is now regular practice for me, when I move somewhere new, to get "caught" open carrying, so that neighbors can spread the word that I am not an easy victim. I am sure I am "that woman" down the street, and I like it that way.:image035: -- Just a different perspective.
In my neighborhood you'd not be, "that woman". You'd be the person I called if I came home and didn't know where my wife was. She'd probably be hanging out with you talking "gun fashion". She likes her holsters to compliment her outfit and she changes the grips on her 1911's so often, I'm not sure if she just bought a new gun or not. My wife OC's more than I do for pretty much the same reason you do. She's from Jersey originally, so it funny when her family comes down, they are usually giving her crap for being armed (Liberals). I had a problem with the color coordination at first, but she trains as much if not more than I do, as long as she's carrying I'm happy.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Amazing isn't it? I actually had someone ask if my Model 57 was real. .Local PD doesn't care .

21 - 40 of 63 Posts