Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my garage, working on my truck when I saw a town cruiser (crowne vic) come barreling in my yard, past the No trespassing signs past the Private property signs, past the garage and down over the steep, snow covered hill towards my house.

As usual, I had a 1911 on my hip that I do not make any effort to conceal at home or around my own property. By the time I made it out of the garage, down to the house, the officer was already out of his vehicle and walking around my yard, no where near a door or anything that could be mistaken as an entrance to my house. I might have surprised him a bit by coming around the back side of the house...

"Can I help you?"
"I...Uh....I'm...."
"What you're doing is called trespassing. This is private property and I'd like you to leave immediately."
At this point he realizes I have a HOLSTERED gun.
"Take your gun out and put it on the ground!!!"
"Please leave my property."
He then puts his hand on his gun and acts as if he is going to draw.
"THROW YOUR GUN ON THE GROUND!"
"No. Please leave my property and call your Chief. I'm going to go inside to call the state police. You are still trespassing."

I very deliberately had my hands folded at my waist and backed away from the psychotic officer and went into the house.
I didn't call the state police, but instead the police station. Asked for the chief and he showed at the house within minutes. I still had my gun on. While I thought about taking it off, I was in "point-proving" mode. It didn't phase the chief, born and raised in the area.

After he calmed the officer down and told him that this is not the ARMY and he could not charge me with 'disobeying a direct order', we found out what actually happened. The officer was apparently trying to chase down a dog that bit someone and it was running across the lake. In his haste to get down my driveway, he lost control of the car and got stuck in a snowbank at the bottom of the hill.

I filed a written complaint with the chief regarding his driving, trespassing, general demeanor and threatening to draw on me. The chief said this was not his first complaint on this officer. The chief also 'reminded' me that it is in my best interest to obey an order from a police officer. I kindly reminded him that I was on my own property doing nothing wrong that his order was not only unfounded, but unreasonable and unlawful. The chief said that we would be making a personal note in the officers personnel file.

Who can guess where this guy worked prior to joining a NH police force?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
New York? New Jersey? Commiefornia?

and :rofl: I haven't heard or used the term pecker-head in a while.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
new york...my mom says Louisiana for some reason.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The Mall ??

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You know this is the reason I don't live in town....
local PD would most likely be showing up everytime I did yard work.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
good job keeping your cool and sticking up for your rights :35:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know this is the reason I don't live in town....
local PD would most likely be showing up everytime I did yard work.
Thats the thing, I live in a 50 square mile town that has a population of about 4500 people. There is 5 police officers, 1 bar inside the Chinese food restaurant, 1 high school for the surrounding 5 towns, a hardware store that sells more coffee and BgossipS than it does nuts and bolts and a diner where, especially during hunting season, it is not uncommon to see rifles in the corner by the door and sidearms on the tables.

We just got a bad egg on this one.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Mayberry and his name is Fife. I just know I'm right.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The officer is from......

{Drum Roll}

The people's Republik of Kalifornia

And the best part is happening right now, as I am drinking a beer on the porch and watching the tow truck try and drag the cruiser up over the hill with only marginal success!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Not the first complaint against this officer?
Chasing a dog?
I doubt if you bit anybody or if the dog he was chasing was carrying.
It sounds like somebody pee'd in Officer Happy's Cherios this morning, and getting stuck in the snowbank, just added to his apparent frustrations.
Maybe Officer Happy is due for a(unpaid)vacation?

·
Registered
67 Posts
This story must be fiction, no COP would hire someone that high strung. I mean, come on, he drives on your land and tells you to disarm? Hey buddy, disarm this!

BTW you were cooler than I might have been

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
To the OP, not saying you were wrong, but you certainly risked your life and the officer's life for something that could have been settled in a less confrontational manner at the moment; and by talking to the chief afterward.

Why on earth risk a gun fight over something as totally dumb as this situation.

(Of course the same could certainly be said of the officer, but we all know where the law would have somehow come down if both of them wound up with gun shot wounds and the DA had to choose who to charge.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To the OP, not saying you were wrong, but you certainly risked your life and the officer's life for something that could have been settled in a less confrontational manner at the moment; and by talking to the chief afterward.

Why on earth risk a gun fight over something as totally dumb as this situation.
Hopyard, you definitely have a valid point. Can I say stubbornness and Principles?

While it is hard to legitimately write down and explain decisions that were made in such a short period of time, my feelings were that if the officer was going to draw, he already would have. At which point would have changed the status quo, dictating a very much more agreeable attitude from me. He also made no direct commands, FREEZE, HANDS UP or anything like that.

I'm sure thats what the Chief was trying to explain to me as well, but my argument still stand that if you don't stand up for your rights you loose them.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
re: Meplat

I'm sure thats what the Chief was trying to explain to me as well, but my argument still stand that if you don't stand up for your rights you loose them.
Well, sometimes standing up for your rights means taking a bullet or a beating, or a jail term. Would it have been worthwhile in this instance?

Hey officer, you look like you need a cup of coffee, come on in and warm up, would have probably defused it all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That last thing I wanted was the cop in my house. If it was one of the local cops that had been around since I was in high school and he had,'t nearly hit my home and my dog with his ridiculous driving, things might have gone differently.

Regardless, he shouldn't have been on my property in the first place. If he needed to get on the ice, there is public beach and boat launch 300 yards down the road.

What are your rights worth?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
+1 on standing up for yourself and remaining (seemingly) calm.

And I doubt Meplat would have drawn his firearm if the officer did... giving the officer no reason to shoot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Please tell me you got pics of the cruiser being rescued! You should be bonked on the noggin for not taking pics or video of him and the car as soon as possible! :spankme:

I think he got himself in trouble, BTW. You're just what he inevitably would stumped his toe on. Good composure! Now lets see something!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts