Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting gun here - a Randall! Now OK - my knowledge of every 1911 variant is still sadly lacking but I did get the impression this is both a pretty old gun and also not sure that they were made in huge quantities. No SN that I can find - just ''FLC'' on frame above trigger. It's in stainless.

Buddy has this and wanted me to look at it, re him possibly selling .... I said I'd ask about it to get some info. He got it several years ago when he lent a guy some money and who since has not been able to pay back. In effect now the gun is his. However, the previous owner must have been planning some changes and it was all in bits - only things still in place were extractor and FP - even plunger block was off as was ejector!

It has a FLGR (I hate those when reassembling!) - and there were three grip safeties, one with a very nice beavertail - unfortunately that one did not seem to want to install so I used the easiest option, a rather plain-jane one, which could have been original.

I used the std sear spring but there was another, handed other way for one of the other grip safeties. There we two sears also - I selected the better of the two tho both looked good. I daresay the trigger - which looks like a Chip or similar, is also non standard and in fact needs a tad extra work to free up some slight drag from the rails. However - on final test dry firing, break is crisp and clean - and it passes the ''loaded hammer'' test. It only now needs a total lube and it should be ready to rock.

Anyways - took some pics and would appreciate any and all input - condition is OK but probably a 95% - unfortunately someone's enthusiasm has marred the screw head on mag release (might just make that out) and one grip screw is not quite clean, otherwise pretty good shape.. I think it should be a nice shooter.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
IMHO randals were one step below amt as far as reliable quality control but they did make a left hand model lol

·
Banned
318 Posts
You know I've heard it said there was no connection between them and AMT on other web sites.

BUT that one looks alot like my AMT Hardballer, the slide in particular.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Nahh biged diff company and diff tooling both went with a ribbed slide to attempt to emulate the gold cup imho , they were both feature heavy for a 1911 of the time but quality control was the issue , good ones were great , bad ones well you know lol

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I fired one of those left-handed Randalls....it shot well enough with 230 grain FMJ, but there where a number of manufacturing defects on the gun. I passed on buying it.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not so hot then - must be why it was seemingly still in the process of being tweaked. Thx for feedback so far.

Seems then as well - not too much a resale value?

·
Super Moderator
22,135 Posts
Chris,

The Randell story is a fascinating one to me, they were the first to overcome the galling problems in stainless autos. There were a number of variations, not all had the rib, some were very close to a standard Government Model. I would love to find a Randell, hang on to that dude, they are becoming collectibles to those in the know. No connection to AMT and a very much better pistol IMHO.
http://www.gun-stop.com/randalhistory.html

You may find this of interest too.
http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=25

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I don't know alot about the Randalls but I know they were the first all Stainless 1911's.I saw one like yours at the gunshop this week for $750.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx OD - I had been hearing stuff like hang on to them etc. I searched a day or two ago and found there was one on GunsAmerica - for $1150.

A left handed one was there too for $2850!

Must be something about them re collectability I guess!

·
Administrator
143,828 Posts
The Randall Magazines Were Good Quality.

They had some occasional "fit work" problems BUT, the slides and frames were good quality and they could be made to shoot as well as any other .45 Pistola.

OD is correct. Don't alter it too much - keep it as original as possible.

Yep, The very First STAINLESS STEEL Colt Pattern Slabsides.
You sure might want to carefully fine tune the extractor though...since that was a common problem that caused some FTF related issues w/ the Randall.

If I had one...I sure would not boot it out of my collection these days.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx QK - I am getting some useful feedback which I can pass on to Chuck, my buddy.

I do think it would be worth his while to keep it aside - unfortunately in the collection of spare bitz there is no other trigger - which I believe was plain. It seems too the grip safety I used in the build-up was probably the original.

I haven't taken the extractor out, mainly cos it looks good and sharp - but maybe will have that out to inspect anyways closer up in more detail.

Although I replaced the plunger block into position it did look as tho originally the locating pins had been peened/rivetted over on inside of frame - and wonder whether this will be OK as it is now just re-inserted - it is I am thinking effectively captive anyways so long as slide lock lever and safety are in place.

Can anyone date this? When did they cease production?

·
Super Moderator
22,135 Posts
Randall was the first all stainless steel 1911 and the first not to have the galling problems.

·
Super Moderator
22,135 Posts
Chris,

The plunger tube housing will need to be re-staked, they will pop off, believe me. :tongue:

If you notice on the original style 1911 stocks, the top of the left panel will come-up just a little past the plunger housing, it is for this very reason, to help hold the housing in place if it should ever come loose.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OD - rather what I was thinking - as long as enough material available to upset to achieve staking of course. I guess this could be a possible replacement solution to do it properly. Brownells or Numrich etc.

Thanks.

·
Banned
318 Posts
Not to further nitpick but the Randall was mfg. between June 1983 and May 1985; according to the Blue Book Of Gun Values.
They did not list the production dates for the Hardballer in the Blue Book I have but the one line Probert Encyclopedia lists the production start date as 1977. Also every AMT 1911 type pistol I've ever seen has had stainless used in all the parts I could see not counting the rear sight.

Speaking of stainless parts and sights I have a further comment on the AMT and Randall slides looking alike. The front sight's are 100% identical and the slide serrations match as they are vertical.
They seem to be more copies of each other, minus the rear sight and milling for it, than copies of a Series '70 Gold Cup slide. I'm not implying any dirct connection between the two companies but rather that they both might have contracted another company to produce the slides. Out sourcing parts is not unheard of in the firearms industry.

On a different note, I noticed that back when they were both being made the Randall had a higher suggested retail price than the AMT. Which most likely reflected a much higher QC in production.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thx Ed - appreciate the extra input - I feel much better informed.

·
Super Moderator
22,135 Posts
Chris,

Usually there is enough of the legs to re-stake, but like you say, not always.

Brownells or Numrich would be excellent places to check, along with Caspian, for the stainless tubes.

edited fur spellun

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I had a chance to buy a Randall back in the 80's for $450 at a gun show and passed on it. I regretted that decision.

The Randall does need some minor reliability work but what stock 1911 made 25 years ago didn't?

I say keep it and get it to a highly skilled gunsmith to do the touchups for reliability.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts