Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be careful with ammo, manufacturers are running three shifts full tilt due to the shortages. Having spent 15 years in a manufacturing career, I would strongly suspect maintenance schedules are not as tight, QC is overwhelmed, long hours and increased production demands add human error frequency. Essential materials manufacturers have to be experiencing the same boom, so issues stack from individual components into the final product.

I was in a class this past weekend with 15 other students when a gun malfunctioned on a drill in the middle of the line from me. The student ran a tap-rack malfunction drill, then did so again, and wasn’t sure how to proceed. A ceasefire was called, one of the instructors requested the gun, (Performance Center S&W Shield).

Brass failed to extract, not sure if primer ignited or if the slide reciprocated, it definitely didn’t ignite the powder charge, chamber and magazine full of unburnt, loose powder, FMJ round came out with minimal contact from brass rod, the projectile had not entered the rifling.

We discussed over dinner in detail and the consensus was the bullet jumped the case upon chambering possibly. ???

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
That's an interesting situation - don't think I've ever seen such.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's an interesting situation - don't think I've ever seen such.
We all said the same.

Look how pristine the base of that bullet is, not a flake of powder burnt.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another good reason to avoid buying ammo right now.

1. Kill demand, prices will return.
2. QC not what it was a year ago.
It’ll be on the shelves regardless. Things happen in good times too, but right now you have an increased chance of a problem for sure.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I see it quite often. Generally with poorly made handloads, but this is factory ammo you implied? Generally see it on lazy reloaders who don't use a taper crimp, worn out brass is a bit thinner, so every now and then you get a round that is way too loose in the case and the very start of the rifling holds the bullet when you try to eject the round.. 99/100 times you would shoot it and never know there was a problem, but the problem is exposed during matches and malfunction drills because you are chambering then unloading live rounds. The sure sign is you have a whole case full of unburnt powder pour out when you try to extract.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see it quite often. Generally with poorly made handloads, but this is factory ammo?
Yes factory.

This is from an instructor at a different school; same day, class was on the other side of Virginia.

I posted the same on social media, private and LEO instructors are reporting more common bad training ammo in their schools, including duty rounds, the exact statement was: “mostly training, but a few reposts of duty”.

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
Scary stuff there. Although most my ammo is stuff I've had for a year or more (some of it several years, LOL), but I did buy a couple cases within the past two or three months. All the ammo I've bought fairly recently has been cases at "best price available" and most is to share with my shooting friends.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
One of the reasons I reload is because I know there is powder behind every bullet...

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scary stuff there. Although most my ammo is stuff I've had for a year or more (some of it several years, LOL), but I did buy a couple cases within the past two or three months. All the ammo I've bought fairly recently has been cases at "best price available" and most is to share with my shooting friends.
I’m running stuff from one year ago, I put the two year old stuff back as higher quality. I got a couple extra cases of 9mm before prices went insane, it’s CCI/Speer bulk, it is way dirtier than typical of that brand, but it’s all been good quality otherwise.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
WOW, That's a good one. Thanks for the heads up. Like others, I don't think I have seen that one.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
What should a person be looking for when inspecting their ammo?
Are there tell tale signs that the ammo might be a problem before loading them into your firearm other than the obvious primer not seated properly or the bullet not crimped well enough to the brass?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Be careful with ammo, manufacturers are running three shifts full tilt due to the shortages. Having spent 15 years in a manufacturing career, I would strongly suspect maintenance schedules are not as tight, QC is overwhelmed, long hours and increased production demands add human error frequency. Essential materials manufacturers have to be experiencing the same boom, so issues stack from individual components into the final product.

I was in a class this past weekend with 15 other students when a gun malfunctioned on a drill in the middle of the line from me. The student ran a tap-rack malfunction drill, then did so again, and wasn’t sure how to proceed. A ceasefire was called, one of the instructors requested the gun, (Performance Center S&W Shield).

View attachment 354341

Brass failed to extract, not sure if primer ignited or if the slide reciprocated, it definitely didn’t ignite the powder charge, chamber and magazine full of unburnt, loose powder, FMJ round came out with minimal contact from brass rod, the projectile had not entered the rifling.

We discussed over dinner in detail and the consensus was the bullet jumped the case upon chambering possibly. ???
Very possible indeed. A neighbor friend showed me an M1 .30 caliber carbine cartridge last week in which he could rotate and move the bullet at the case mouth. Not good. I reminded him NOT to chamber that round.

·
Registered
42,137 Posts
No, no, no. It had to be a reload. Nothing is ever wrong with commercial ammo. It's always some yahoo's reloads.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If there was unburnt powder, sounds like a primer failure, during the last primer shortage I had several Federal "Match" SP Primers that had the cup damaged and/or the anvils flipped. I found the issues as I'm OCD on checking before I load primer tubes. If the bullet was still in the chamber when the case extracted it probably had entered the leade and pulled out as the case was pulled, I've had that happen with a short leade and too long of OAL.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
We have encountered ammo issues 40 years ago. Hard to say on this one, bad primer for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts