Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The odd thing is that the signs are gone. First I got curious and noted that they used to be on all outdoor access doors. They are all gone.

Then, I was in another school in the same district and those signs are gone too. I know the second school used to have those signs because I noticed them when I worked in that building.

I know that the law for the state I am in allows teachers to carry with permission. However, the insurance company said "No." I am sort of wondering if there has been a change of policy. That said, I am going to wait for someone else to ask first.

·
Premium Member
36,729 Posts
Maybe someone realized that telling everyone the building is a non-permissive environment is a bad plan.

·
Registered
41,382 Posts
Being a school, no guns is pretty much a given.

·
Registered
41,382 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
It has been the law in Ohio, no guns in school or on property or at school events unless you are dropping or picking up children. The gun must stay in the car.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
The odd thing is that the signs are gone. First I got curious and noted that they used to be on all outdoor access doors. They are all gone.

Then, I was in another school in the same district and those signs are gone too. I know the second school used to have those signs because I noticed them when I worked in that building.

I know that the law for the state I am in allows teachers to carry with permission. However, the insurance company said "No." I am sort of wondering if there has been a change of policy. That said, I am going to wait for someone else to ask first.
The GFSZA failed to do what it was intended to do. From what I've seen, it made things worse.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
It has been the law in Ohio, no guns in school or on property or at school events unless you are dropping or picking up children. The gun must stay in the car.
Like that'll stop some nut job.......

Reactions: baren

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well, there's the option for a deep deep cover gun... or you could ask in a round about way, such as "something seemed a bit different about the door when I came in today. Did something change ?" May want to re read, and double check policy, just to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
36,729 Posts
Except for authorized staff members.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You no longer have to be dropping off or picking up a child. That changed in 2017. Anyone with a CHL can leave their gun in their car on school property while visiting the school. I started doing that as a school employee in 2017 when it became legal.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Email the Superintent and CC the Principal, ask if there has been a policy change. :devilish:

I'm kidding, don't do that; I spent 13 years as elementary teacher, 2 years middle school.

·
Premium Member
8,382 Posts
Carry is permitted in Texas, but only at most universities.
It was not permitted in K-12. I have no school age kids and no grandkids so I have not set foot inside a school in a long time.
No guns at football games, but I am able to keep my carry gun in my Jeep.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Being a school, no guns is pretty much a given.
Yeah. Great way to cull the youthful herd. NO GUNS signs = FREE FIRE ZONE so makes it really simple to take care of the unruly little miscreants. Of course there will be some extra collateral damage as well, but that's to be expected.

[\sarcasm off]

Never ceases to amaze me. When a school shooting occurs, just put up more NO GUNS signs in more schools and advertise to future shooters that, "Hey, this one worked great. They put up more signs to advertise for another even better mass shooting". Can we spell "ignorant" and completely out of touch with reality?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
You no longer have to be dropping off or picking up a child. That changed in 2017. Anyone with a CHL can leave their gun in their car on school property while visiting the school. I started doing that as a school employee in 2017 when it became legal.

"Time out!" says the victim to the active shooter, "my gun is in the car. Wait till I go get it."

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
While I don't agree with it, I can understand why non-gun people don't want guns in schools. It's not just criminals these parents are worried about. Accidental shootings (negligence) by gun owners are not uncommon in the news, and many parents don't want their precious kids exposed to that risk.

There are idiots who do stupid tings at gun ranges, and idiots who do stupid things while hunting, that end up injuring or killing innocent people. It's only natural that soccer moms want those kinds of risks kept out of schools.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I can't speak for anyplace but where I am, but since this was posted, we have noticed all the Gun Free Zone signs have come down. I do remember back before I left the PD that the courts were slapping down any efforts at prosecution because of the "1,000 foot" stupidity associated with that gag...errr...law?

The feds discovered that they cannot decide what people do on their own property. Sound familiar? Uncle Joe are ya listenin?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts