Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few quick questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a clamp that will actually work in securing a tac light under my 12 gauge? I've gone through two of the plastic "figure eight" ones. Junk.
2. Can anyone recommend a "case" that will hold a shotgun, broken down, say 25x8x4 that would fit in a suitcase and can be locked? I do travel and on more than one occasion had to pay a full baggage fee for my regular shotgun case. It would be nice if one would fit in a standard suitcase. Haven't found one yet.
3. Don't intend to start a forum war but I was somewhat surprised that shooting double 0 buckshot, even out to fifty feet gave a very tight pattern. I.e. you need to be almost as accurate as if it were a pistol or rifle. Is there such a thing as putting an open choke on a home defense shotgun to spread the pattern more? Would it be more advantageous to use a smaller pellet (NOT birdshot)? I also understand that can make more collateral damage but, heck, if you are unleashing a shotgun at a bad guy, who's really thinking about collateral damage? Seriously.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Some people have recommended #4 buckshot. I have a box, but haven't patterned it, yet

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Lyman Corp makes a good metal clamp to mount a flashlight to your shottie. It goes under the name of TacStar.

#4 Buck has proven to be pretty good, and what I use at work. I prefer 00 and have my home defense shotgun patterned for such.

Biker

·
Registered
182 Posts
Check out www.cdmgear.com for your light mount. Scott's work is top notch, I have the BMT clamp on my 870. It's also suprisingly light. Dont know about question two. Lastly I prefer a tight pattern not so much to stop collateral damage but because 9 hits with 00 is better than 4 or 5. If you want more open patterns look for cheaper shells with no shot cup like the OD mil-spec stuff in the plain cardboard box. Possibly Fiochi or S&B. There is a choke called a "Spreader" choke that has negative constriction. Try tuelock or briley they're probably kind of expensive though.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
18.5" cylinder bore barrel will let the 00 open up a little more,but you don't want too large a pattern due to collateral damage you are responsible for,You might try looking for a gun case made for broken down O/U shotguns

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks, guys. Next day off I will peruse those sites.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You want as many pellets as possible striking your target. Yes, you have to aim a shotgun. To think otherwise is to show ones experience with shotguns.

I have my Mossberg loaded with Federal Flightcontrol 00 buck. Out to 25 yards all pellets will be on target, just where you want them to be.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Lyman Corp makes a good metal clamp to mount a flashlight to your shottie. It goes under the name of TacStar.
#4 Buck has proven to be pretty good, and what I use at work. I prefer 00 and have my home defense shotgun patterned for such.

Biker
I have one of these, it works well.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
#4 Buck and T or minimum BB sized birdshot.

For HD events you're only talking 15 yds. (45 ft.) on the outside with most often events being at half that distance and less.
At HD distances pretty much every _quality_ shell of any given projectile typr and size will be in a close group of pattern even out of a cylinder bore.

Beyond 15 yds./45 ft. either go elsewhere or get a rifle.

- Janq

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I found this little jewel in the box-o-parts at one of my local gun shops late last year. Ten bucks and I'm happy. You never know what a few minutes time spent will net you in the long run. Some of what you may come across has already been overlooked by others. I love the hunt. I couldn't tell you the manufacturer, but I can give pics.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found this little jewel in the box-o-parts at one of my local gun shops late last year. Ten bucks and I'm happy. You never know what a few minutes time spent will net you in the long run. Some of what you may come across has already been overlooked by others. I love the hunt. I couldn't tell you the manufacturer, but I can give pics.

Dang, Ram. That is sweet! I'll trade you my two Green Lantern comics for it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Try one of the TacStar mounts. They are made of steel and pretty tough.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Would replacing your barrel with a shorter one give a wider pattern at that range? This is more another question than an answer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Would replacing your barrel with a shorter one give a wider pattern at that range? This is more another question than an answer.
Shotgun barrels are like rifle barrels in that some prefer different loads but barrel length has verry little to do with pattern. Choke and ammo are the two biggest contributers to pattern.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
Would replacing your barrel with a shorter one give a wider pattern at that range? This is more another question than an answer
A short barrel with a tight choke will shoot a tighter pattern than a long barrel with a more open choke.

Many home defense shotguns have 18-20 inch barrels. Anything built in the last decade will have screw in chokes, so that you can change it to whatever fits the situation. The shorter barrels in the HD shotguns are easier to handle and manipulate in close quarters.

For the best pattern, a person really need to pattern the shotgun with both different loads and different chokes. The thing is, a Remington shot-shell may pattern very tightly with a full choke but a Winchester might scatter it all over the place or vice versa. You don't know what it will do until you actually pattern it.
A modified choke may actually shoot a tighter pattern with buckshot than a full choke. There really are no set rules when patterning except that it requires a lot of experimentation to know how your shot gun will react.

Most people just buy a HD shotgun, shoot a load of two of buck at a target, and let the rough end drag.Even so, the bad guy walking down your hall at 2 in the morning wont know any difference when you shoot.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If the barrel is already a cylinder bore barrel (no choke), length will have little effect on shot pattern. In fact, a shorter barrel could even result in a tighter pattern as the shot would be in contact with the metal of the barrel for less time and thus deform less. This is rarely a problem with modern ammunition as most current production ammo uses a shot cup with petals to protect the shot from the metal of the barrel.

I can think of 3 ways to cause a shot pattern to spread out more assuming you already have a cylinder bore barrel.
1. Do not use ammunition with shot buffer.
2. Either try and find ammo to buy without a shot cup or reload some ammo using only over-powder and over-shot wads without a shot cup.
3. Have your barrel threaded for chokes and put in a rifled choke or buy a replacement barrel for your gun that is rifled. What a rifled barrel will do to the spread of shot has to be seen to be believed. I always knew the rifling would have an effect because it would cause excessive deformation of the pellets but I had no idea how drastically it would effect the pattern until we ran some tests. Suffice it to say you wouldn't want to use a rifled barrel or choke in your house unless you didn't mind killing every piece of furniture and electronics in your living room.

Hoss

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
..............Even so, the bad guy walking down your hall at 2 in the morning wont know any difference when you shoot.
That's probably the most succinct, accurate and logical statement of everything said in this thread.

Hoss

1 - 20 of 24 Posts