Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have begun to stray from keeping threads and posts "on topic" lately. In an effort to get us back on track, I suggest everyone read the following information regarding off topic posts. This information also resides as a sticky thread at the top of each forum. All moderators are being asked to remove off topic posts without notice as I will be doing. If this "sticks in anyone's craw", I apologize but, nevertheless, I will be strictly enforcing it from now on. Any rants or flames about losing an off topic post will not be responded to. For those of you that have complained about the off topic posts, sorry it took so long.

Read Me First: Important Posting Information

Well, I hate to be a "killjoy" be we are getting an increasing number of posts that are not posted in the proper forum. Many of you have complained that these off topic posts are cluttering up the forums and dragging the focus off topic. For us to move off topic posts to another thread is a 5 step process that is very prone to errors and is taking much too much time to keep straight. I know this is going to get some of you upset but I am going to go through each of the topics (in each thread) and delete "off topic" posts that add nothing to the topic being discussed. I'm only going to do this once and then will delete them daily as I find them. If any of you find anything out of place, please let me know.

Please take the time to insure that your post is on topic and, if not, post it in the appropriate place. If you have something you want to post, but cannot decide where to put it, shoot me a U2U and I will help you decide. Everything is safe from being deleted in the off topic fourms, but they may be moved to an on topic forum if need be.

I apologize if any of you feel this is too strict or think that I am being anal retentive but we have had too many cases of off topic posts killing otherwise good threads.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The trend in the forum is to have threads with little to do about the concept of CombatCarry.com and these threads hang out there as the most current and hot issues to read and they are not. There are many interesting threads to read but you must click on the subjects to bring them up. We all clutter the forum from time to time but it is really getting to the point where the important subjects are being buried and replaced by pictures etc. It is a trend that will harm the forum for sure. Not flaming and don't expect any. Think before you post, your number of posts are not important, quality helps all readers. :smile:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
important subjects are being buried and replaced by pictures etc
Just checking - as I do not want to clutter things but, liking pics (of guns!!), I do throw in the odd ones when it seems relevant. Will not do so tho if deemed unnecessary or excessive.

Want to follow required form best I can.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi P95Carry-my communication skills sometimes are not the best, by pictures I mean those unreleated to firearms, shooting Accessories etc. Example, if a picture of a pretty girl were to be posted it would stay up there forever with a string of comments by the guys(boys will be boys). It may be unrelated to the topic area but well liked by everyone.
Regards and hope this is not offensive to the members. Richard

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
FortyFive - hey no sweat! I guess really all I was doing was picking up on your pic mention re running it by Bumper. Only wanting to be sure to do best for the board! :smile:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Guys... and Ladies.........I'll do my best to keep things on track as well.....I try not to stray from guns and related topics, although I throw a few odd things in....I'll behave, and if I'm sraying from anything gun related, I hope you make note of it to me..
Thanks for a GREAT forum :biggrin:
Bob (AKA Class3NH)

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By all means post your on topic pictures (I love to see good pics) in the forums. I want the forum to be an on topic reference to to members. All I ask is that everyone post on topic in the appropriate forum. Off topics can go in off topics, of course. :wink:

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
This Comment Is Slightly Off Topic But,

Just kidding...just kidding ~ :biggrin:

Seriously...It will be good & healthy for the forum to get ourselves back on track a bit.

I would like to add that since this place is GROWING EVERY DAY & the forum is searchable ~ New & old members will tune in here & want to use that valuable search feature to hunt OUR PAST for specific topics of interest.
Information about holsters ~ specific models of firearms/knives ~ and Concealed Carry topics etc., all do get archived.
Please remember that you ARE NOT just posting for TODAY.
Your very much appreciated comments, opinions & evaluations all become a valuable part of the Searchable Forum History. Which is really kinda neat to have that treasure trove of precious stuff instantly available. :wink:
So...it is helpful not to clutter threads up with too much totally unrelated verbiage as it somewhat defeats the purpose of being able to easily search for and reference specific information.

In my opinion the Off Topic & Humor area is a great place to go crazy a bit & kick your shoes off & relax which is also a NECESSARY part of life. Feel free to use that area for whatever. :silly:

·
Banned
693 Posts
I admit that I'm the worst offender here, however my admission of guilt is probably more of a 'nolo contendere' plea. I believe humor is a very important aspect of life and interaction.

Having said that, if a CCW member here asks me a question about reloading, blade steels, 1911's or large motorcycles (i.e., the few things I'm reasonably certain about) I will endeavor to provide an answer or a direction.

However, if some member in all seriousness asks, "Do you think I look fat in these shooting glasses?" well then, come'n guys, I have to go for the joke!

I do not like puffery. The most knowledgible, brave, religious and valuable men and women I have met have a realistic, self-effacing quality. They are approachable, they are happy to teach and they do not subscribe to an agenda. I was watching "100 Best Americans" last night, for example, and they mentioned Audie Murphy, the most decorated man of WWII. He too young to enlist.

What brings out my contempt and my acerbic humor are the self-appointed gurus. It is here I point out that the 'tough man' champion in my area is a pastry chef. I find the ninjas only prove their worth on the computer.

So, guys, sorry if I offended any of you, that was not my intention. Ask me anything (in my sphere) and you will get an honest answer--even if that answer is "I don't know."

If I ramble a bit, remember that some wannabee of "the flying katana" super-secret brotherhood is trying to sell you some 'second hand oats.' These are the oats that have been through bovine herds once before.

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Hi Tourist

I don't think anyone wants to maliciously rap any specific knuckles. I'm a Mod & I have slipped up some in the past & gotten slightly more than a few topics side~tracked & Off Topic.
So...I personally am going to give my best shot toward keeping my own personal O.T. Stuff in the Off Topic & Humor area of the forum.
Because I have been with CombatCarry.com since its early creation my biggest unintentional error was always in forgetting that newer and recent members who were not part of the very first days of the forum (when it only had 10 or so active members) were just not privy to some of the earlier insider jokes & the closer camaraderie that took place during the initial testing phases of the forum before it went "on line" and open to the public. They felt uninvited to the party & excluded.
Now...I am trying to comment in such a way that everybody can (hopefully) easily understand exactly where I'm coming from without much in the way of my previous slightly incomprehensible hieroglyphics.
I think that all forum members will agree that you are highly knowledgeable in your area of expertise and (as such) are considered to be quite a valuable member here. I also believe that you are.
I personally learn as much or more here than I could ever hope to offer.
I (and many others) appreciate your keen edge on knife related topics which is an area that I (admittedly) know not much about at all.
I have learned some great info. from you as have many others.
So hopefully (myself very much included) we will all give our best effort toward writing for the best general interest of the forum and that increasing multitude of members who are signing up here to primarily garner easily accessible Concealed Carry & Self~Defense information.
That being said I'll look forward to kicking it around with you at some future point in time in the Off Topic & Humor area.
I also happen to agree that humor is highly important since (By Nature And The Good Grace Of God) I am a much funnier guy in the Deep R.E.M. stages of my sleep than most folks could ever even dream about being...fully awake and on their very best day being tickled with a feather.
And if you were to ask me in the Off Topic & Humor area if you looked fat wearing those shooting glasses...I would tell you that those particular shooting glasses have nothing at all to do with the fact that you seem to be remarkably well nourished. :rofl:
So "Chins Up" Be Happy!

·
Banned
693 Posts
QKS,

I appreciate the insight, and I do intend to push the envelope in the 'humor' section. However, I think a lot of this is just understanding the rules of a particular forum.

If you go to VTF, and ask in all seriousness when brake pads should be changed, don't be surprised to find the first entry to go something like "Before you hit the fracken wall, Einstein," and then four more guys piling on. Finally the fifth or sixth posting will give you some minor rudimentary information with a thumbnail of his girl friend at Sturgis.

If this is not done, you quickly get the reputation of having no sense of humor.

Bumper has his own rules, it's his house.

Humor and insight are subjective. Let me give you an example.

In the VTF, we recently had a thread about exhaust pipe noise and our responsibility to 'citizens' and the future of our sport. (BTW, when a biker uses the word 'citizen' it's an insult.) I pretty much answered in the tone I answer threads here.

However, in CCW it's "thread drift." In VTF, I was called a 'poet.'

Different house rules. I forgot where I was. I disrespected Bumper's house.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Different house rules. I forgot where I was. I disrespected Bumper's house.
No, Tourist, you just farted loudly while we were all trying to eat.... :wink:

·
Registered
868 Posts
At the very least we got members of the forum to read and comment here thats a good thing. I wish more would add to comments and care for the growing forum with kindness and understanding. We now acknowledge our leader Bumper(bowing toward Ariz) and his riding mower!!! :smile:

·
Banned
693 Posts
Oh, we do care, and that's part of the problem. We treat each other like family. This is undoubtedly the forum where I receive the most private mail, telephone calls and criticism. In many other forums about the only nerve you strike is from a flame war.

I just think we have to all get on the same page. As I said, we come from different backgrounds. Some of my friends greet each other with a firm smack on the shoulder. If he winces, he's a wuss. If he just turns and says, "Heck, I thought it was my old lady," we all laugh and go back to farting while people eat.

This costs. I have to mend fences with a CCW member yet. If this was another forum I'd let it slide. After all, who cares?

Well, in here, I care.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yep. Tourist is right. If I offended someone here, I'd work to make it up. Most places, I wouldn't care. I appreciate the effort everyone puts in here. We're all trying to help one another, and we all agree to disagree when we don't see eye to eye.
This is the best gun board I've found.
I check the posts here before anywhere else. I check posts here before I check my regional board, which is fairly active.
No other board has members as repectful and polite as the people here.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been an offender myself. My post applies to everyone, but don't take it as being directed at anyone in particular. Just a nudge to get us back on topic....

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's amazing how easy it can be to wander off topic. :redface:

·
Banned
693 Posts
It's amazing how easy it can be to wander off topic.
If it was just this element, I don't think people would care that much. If you go to a party of barbeque you'll find one topic leads to another. It's the art of conversation. But a forum should have structure.

As for caring about folks, yes, I do for CCW and my home forum of VTF. I regard the atmosphere as "my people." If you hurt their feelings, it genuinely bothers you. Or it should. Not everyone is going to be pals; if that happens, you just be a gentleman and artfully avoid crossing paths. Be an adult.

Oh, taking the high road is difficult. I just got a sales pitch from a forum I left. The mods canceled my password, but still sent me notification of sales opportunities. "Please take your greasy motorcycle and your troublesome opinions out into the hinterlands, but here's a deal you might like." It's real easy to dump these posers onto your 'fecal roster.'

I'm going to make more of an effort to stick to the thread heading, and to remember that people I care for are at the other end of the co-ax.

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Tourist

We took a highly secretive vote :div264: & we all decided that we still like you. I should mention that out of the 1,160 forum members 1,145 showed up for the secret meeting & we all voted to keep you around. Only one member abstained & two passed out from the heat since we met in the middle of the desert...in a location right before the road that leads out and away to the hinterlands...begins.
So...As of the present time....your CombatCarry.com password is still quite safe.
:poke:
You do not hafta head out for those dangerous hinterlands just yet.
You still have a nice home here.
Where exactly are the hinterlands :confused: ....somewhere near the Netherlands or out further beyond Michael Jackson's Neverlands?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.