Defensive Carry banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Well Chief Larry Boone, I'm certain you've just eroded the trust of those you've sworn to protect and serve way more than Lt Kelly, except BLM and ANTIFA, I'm sure you retained their trust in you

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Having worked in HR, the fact that he used his official email and ID'ed himself as a Norfolk cop made his comments and the donation reflect on the department. He said "You’ve done nothing wrong” and “Every rank and file police officer supports you. Don’t be discouraged by actions of the political class of law enforcement leadership.” It's the equivalent of saying that to a reporter. Knowing Norfolk as I do, that would definitely put him in conflict with the community.

What he did would have gotten him fired from just about any organization. It is standard practice that employees should not use company email or their title with the company to support controversial causes. He should have sent the donation anonymously on private email. I know people here won't agree, but I'm telling you, this is not cancel culture, this is standard HR stuff. That fact doesn't care about your feelings.
Except that he never identified himself as a Norfolk cop, or a cop at all. It was an anonymous donation and the comments were made anonymously, with identification only made possible by hacking and doxing.

The fact that the city has publicly stated that the content of the comments, without mentioning inappropriate use of IT resources, was the reason for his firing could prove very important to him.

Reactions: riverrambler

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
As an IT person I would highly recommend never using work resources for personal causes or for personal business. Keep your private life private and distinct from your job. It can help avoid these situations.

Although, I have a feeling even had a personal e-mail been used the outcome would have been the same. I've worked with, and for, a-holes like the city manager. They are vicious petty minded people who like to make others miserable.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
So his big crime, worth being fired over, was using his work email address. I wouldn't have done that, given that you have no expectation of privacy with your employer. Gawd, I'm glad I'm retired. I feel sorry for the cop, he only said what everyone is thinking.
this, i think, is the crux of the matter. he used company assets for personal use. like it or not, agree or not, his employer is now attached to his actions. i don't know if an expectation of privacy is relevant here, because the company didn't out him. i think you'd be hard-pressed to find a workplace that would allow this. plenty of places record your emails at work, record your incoming and outgoing calls, etc. i'm the last guy that's ever gonna agree with HR, but in this case...

·
Registered
46,105 Posts
Reactions: since9

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Let's build a mountain. I hear mountains win against locomotives 100% of the time.
It didn't stop the little engine that could!

Reactions: since9

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
The grounds for the termination is that he used his city email address when he made the donation. Its a real stretch, but had he used his personal email address, there would be no legal grounds to terminate him.
I think the take-a-way here is probably that a person should leave any connection to their employer out of hot-button statements or acts which can easily draw the ire of others.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I think the take-a-way here is probably that a person should leave any connection to their employer out of hot-button statements or acts which can easily draw the ire of others.
My employer is a professional services firm and we are cautioned about their social media policy all the time on these social issues. Under my professional profiles, I say very little of controversy other than congrats on the new positions, happy birthday, etc. Under my personal profiles, I get a little more opinionated but try to always strike a neutral tone. I avoid inflammatory language and try to present a reasonable intellectual discussion, never emotional.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Having worked in HR, the fact that he used his official email and ID'ed himself as a Norfolk cop made his comments and the donation reflect on the department. He said "You’ve done nothing wrong” and “Every rank and file police officer supports you. Don’t be discouraged by actions of the political class of law enforcement leadership.” It's the equivalent of saying that to a reporter. Knowing Norfolk as I do, that would definitely put him in conflict with the community.

What he did would have gotten him fired from just about any organization. It is standard practice that employees should not use company email or their title with the company to support controversial causes. He should have sent the donation anonymously on private email. I know people here won't agree, but I'm telling you, this is not cancel culture, this is standard HR stuff. That fact doesn't care about your feelings.
From another source it said He made an anonymous donation and the donation site was hacked to get the names and info of any one that donated! Quite a few were outed at the same time including a High up at Lawrence -Livermore Lab in the bay area of CA.[ he is taking crap too.] DR

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
PEF, that's outrageous. I would think the officer would have grounds for a wrongful termination suit. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.
Every state has different laws pertaining to employment, and every LE agency has its own policies and regulations. Conduct or activities while off-duty, not in uniform, and not attempting to portray ones self as representing the agency or employing entity may or may not provide any level of protection against departmental disciplinary action.

I would suggest that the gentleman, as a lieutenant and management-supervisory level employee, is probably exempt from any union protections or representation. Also, unless the gentleman holds a contract of employment he is likely to be employed at the will and pleasure of the agency head and/or city administration. Yesterday we wanted you, today we don't.

All cops learn early in their careers to avoid making any form of public commentary, passing along all requests for information or comment to the department head or designated public information officer. Anything reflecting any perceived political content is pure poison to be avoided at all costs.

Now, those who hacked the donor information and caused its publication might be exposed to some form of civil action, but that would be a long, hard, and expensive exercise for the former lieutenant.

Frankly, if I were still actively employed as a police chief I would never consider engaging in any forum or on-line activities that might result in controversy or complaint. Nothing to be gained, everything to be lost.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I'd be willing to be there are more than a few City of Norfolk employees that have used their city email addresses for personal business. If the fired officer gets an attorney, I see a simple FOIA request on the horizon. It could open up a huge can of worms.

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Let's be real here.

The names from the illegal data breach were published by the Guardian on Friday.

Five days later, the officer was fired.

The statement by the city manager did not name a policy of using work e-mail, etc. The statement only commented on the substance of the Officer's previously anonymous comments, comments that would have remained anonymous but for an illegal hack.

The city panicked, fired the guy immediately, and the leaders revealed themselves to be the cucks that they are.

See that large bird with the yellow bill, waddling and quacking? Go ahead and call it a dog. I'll call it a duck.

Reactions: airslot

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
More on this story:

He was fired in a few days, when the process usually takes months:

Norfolk Police Lt. William Kelly was only roughly 10 months from being a 20-year veteran of the department, at which point he would have been eligible to have received his retirement savings without a penalty. He was fired from Norfolk Police Department in April, when he was suddenly left desperate to find affordable health insurance for himself, his wife, who is sick with cancer, and their three kids.
This was all political and the result of weak leadership.

Norfolk is run by cucks.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I wish the him good luck. I tend to think he would be better off finding employment elsewhere. A city where honest police are still respected. Basically, any smaller city in most of rural America.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts