Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is much talk about how to stop a charging dog. It seems a stun gun and being shot by a .45 round is inadequate. It took the all mighty 12 gage to do the job...

Thought it was worth sharing:

Spokane deputies kill relentless pit bull dog

Posted: 1:00 pm PST November 18, 2009Updated: 1:01 pm PST November 18, 2009

SPOKANE -- Spokane County sheriff's deputies used a stun gun on an attacking pit bull dog. It didn't stop, so they shot it with a .45-caliber handgun, and it still kept coming. They finally killed it with a blast from a 12-gauge shotgun.

The sheriff's office says the dog was killed early Wednesday as deputies responded to a domestic violence incident at a home.

Deputies arrested a 32-year-old man who had been drinking and threatened his family. Two daughters, ages 2 and 3, who were inside the house were unharmed and slept through the dog's shooting.

·
Registered
669 Posts
what kind of dog was it? It'd be damn embarrassing for the cops if they cant hit chihuahua with their weapons.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
It takes a lot to stop a Pit Bull that is in attack mode.

They are truly very powerful animals and tend to have no back up gear in them.

Bullet wounds unless very well placed will not stop a Pit Bull that is in full attack mode.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
If I even thought I would have to shoot a pit bull, I'd be exiting the car with the shotgun in hand and one in the chamber.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Shotgun for the win,trying to hit a dog in the vitals to stop him is gonna be hard to do,but I may only have a handgun,and I'm shooting at his head until threat is stopped

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Sounds like a great family...glad the cops got the job done!:hand10:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Recipe for disaster= Two very small children + one enraged pit bull.

What on earth (if anything) were these parents thinking ????

·
Administrator
144,131 Posts
Couldn't drop a Pit Bull with a .45? :slap: Time to go back to Shot Placement 101.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
One less pit bull to worry about.

(Oops, is that going to start another pit bull bashing thread?)

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Couldn't drop a Pit Bull with a .45? :slap: Time to go back to Shot Placement 101.
Been there and done that too. Its a lot harder than one would think.

I've shot distempered raccoons with perfect shot placement that I felt bad for because it took them a while to die.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hell, I put 6-7 rounds in a goose that took 30 minutes to die. Damn thing liked my pond but ended up attacking my wife and wouldn't leave the yard. I seems like animals are tougher than we are.

·
Registered
891 Posts
People aren't that surprised when rifle rounds fail to kill animals.

I love .45 but its not magic.
Yep, a colleague of mine from work wen thog hunting this weekend. His hunting partner shot one in the vital organs with a 44Mag and it took 30-40 feet to drop.

Like the HWFE says, shot placement is key. A CNS or eye socket hit is the only way to instaneous incapacitation.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Couldn't drop a Pit Bull with a .45? Time to go back to Shot Placement 101.
Amen to that; I have dropped 1 chow and 2 pit bulls in separate incidents; the chow and one of the pit bulls I nailed with head shots from my carry gun while I was out jogging. The last pit bull was a head shot from my Ruger 10-22; for the record, I used a CCI Stinger round to do the job.

·
Registered
173 Posts
And somewhere out there the owner is crying that poor old fido was the best dog in the world and wouldn't hurt a fly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts