Defensive Carry banner

1121 - 1139 of 1139 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
My scoped rifle

I'm teaching myself to reach out a little farther with this scoped 18" AR15.
Same here. I'd never shot at more than 100 yds but our club has a 300 yds range so I thought I'd give that a try. I had to buy a new scope as I couldn't see my hits at that range with the old one.

It's a humbling experience as I'm lucky to land shots on the 12" target at that range, but I'm sure I'll get better with practice.

I'm thinking that my next gun purchase might be an AR build more suited to longer ranges, as I'm interested in building one on my own for the first time.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I'm putting together an SPR gun now for the same reason. I've got a couple precison bolt guns, but nothing AR15ish. Closest thing ins my 3Gun rig with a match grade Faxon 16" barrel and a Leupold VX6 1-6X. This gun will be built around an 18" SPR barrel. I was looking for something to stretch the .223 a little bit and to use as a primary coyote rig. So far:

White Oak Armament 18" Fluted SPR barrel, Wylde chamber 1:8 twist using a Wilson Arms air-gauged & lapped blank. They were back-ordered, but they took a standard SPR barrel, fluted and bead blasted it for me. Turn around was a week to my door. Weight is right at 2lbs, 5 ounces. Seriously great guys to work with, fast correspondence.

Nitrided BCG, shot-peened & MPI'd, from WOA that was matched to the barrel for headspace

Vortex GEN 1 4-16x50 PST
ADM Recon Mount.

This gun will get a 2nd optic for yote hunting, something in the 1-8 or 1-10 range, for the majority of the shots we get while calling 4X is too much on the low side

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
@voodoo_man SO...................................................... we're going to be kept in waiting for the "finale"! 😂 Kind of like the "youtubber, Garandthumb, "tip to butt"! ;) By the way, what brand/model is that muzzle device?

·
Registered
764 Posts
@voodoo_man SO...................................................... we're going to be kept in waiting for the "finale"! 😂 Kind of like the "youtubber, Garandthumb, "tip to butt"! By the way, what brand/model is that muzzle device?;)
I've posted the full rifle a few times, on my site (vdmsr.com) and on my IG @vdmsr.

The muzzle device is a PWS CQB

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
I've posted the full rifle a few times, on my site (vdmsr.com) and on my IG @vdmsr.

The muzzle device is a PWS CQB
Thank you, Sir. (y)

Reactions: voodoo_man

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm putting together an SPR gun now for the same reason. I've got a couple precison bolt guns, but nothing AR15ish. Closest thing ins my 3Gun rig with a match grade Faxon 16" barrel and a Leupold VX6 1-6X. This gun will be built around an 18" SPR barrel. I was looking for something to stretch the .223 a little bit and to use as a primary coyote rig. So far:

White Oak Armament 18" Fluted SPR barrel, Wylde chamber 1:8 twist using a Wilson Arms air-gauged & lapped blank. They were back-ordered, but they took a standard SPR barrel, fluted and bead blasted it for me. Turn around was a week to my door. Weight is right at 2lbs, 5 ounces. Seriously great guys to work with, fast correspondence.

Nitrided BCG, shot-peened & MPI'd, from WOA that was matched to the barrel for headspace

Vortex GEN 1 4-16x50 PST
ADM Recon Mount.

This gun will get a 2nd optic for yote hunting, something in the 1-8 or 1-10 range, for the majority of the shots we get while calling 4X is too much on the low side
Very nice, just put this together with similar intentions. Taking it out to the farm tomorrow to bang some steel.

Aero M4E1 Upper and Lower receiver
BA 14.5 Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel (middy)
Ballistic Advantage Gas Block
Surefire Warcomp
Surefire SOCOM556 Mini
SLR Ion 13.7" Rail
Radian Enhanced BCG
Radian Selector
Geissele Super CH
Geissele SD-C
Badger Ordnance Condition One Modular Mount
(not pictured) Offset RMR...when I can find a damn Badger J-arm
Primary Arms 1-8x24 ACSS Raptor (FFP)
B5 Sopmod
BCM Grip
Magpul Bipod

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Very nice, just put this together with similar intentions. Taking it out to the farm tomorrow to bang some steel.

Aero M4E1 Upper and Lower receiver
BA 14.5 Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel (middy)
Ballistic Advantage Gas Block
Surefire Warcomp
Surefire SOCOM556 Mini
SLR Ion 13.7" Rail
Radian Enhanced BCG
Radian Selector
Geissele Super CH
Geissele SD-C
Badger Ordnance Condition One Modular Mount
(not pictured) Offset RMR...when I can find a damn Badger J-arm
Primary Arms 1-8x24 ACSS Raptor (FFP)
B5 Sopmod
BCM Grip
Magpul Bipod

Very nice, we share some parts; SLR, Geiselle, Radian and Aero! How do you like the SD-C??

The trigger is the last part I'm waiting on. Going to buy a SD 3-Gun and swap it for the SA-E that's currently in my 3Gun rig.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Very nice, we share some parts; SLR, Geiselle, Radian and Aero! How do you like the SD-C??

The trigger is the last part I'm waiting on. Going to buy a SD 3-Gun and swap it for the SA-E that's currently in my 3Gun rig.
Thank you, shot great out to 300 yesterday, it's about an MOA setup at 100y with XM193. This group was from ~130.

We had it setup in the truck most of the day, were joking that we were going to start calling it the MultiPEW tailgate, instead of the "MultiPro" tailgate like GM does.

Loved it! Have had it in many rigs and it's crisp but not too light, easy to get in and out of without it touching off and surprising you. Something like the SD-E or SSA-E is much lighter and I prefer a little bit more of a wall. And I love the flat trigger bow.

10.5" SBR with the new Centurion MLOK cutout rail

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Very nice!

I've only worked up 2 loads for mine so far, a &&grn MK262A1 clone for steel, and a 55 Nosler BT load for yotes. I busted my butt developing a 62grn FMJ load based on Hornady bullets for my 3Gun rig that I finally got to 5 shots in a little over 1moa. That was just because the club sometimes puts still out past 300, or these little skinny plates that are a PITA to hit. I'm not going to bother with FMJ for this gun. Not worth the squeeze.

Instead of a tailgate I went with my M32A1 "Mobile Sniper Platform" when we cruise around my place shooting:

It also helps carry all the crap that won't fit in the UTV and keeps us out of the chiggers & ticks in the summer.

Here's what my SPR looks like so far on my 3Gun lower:

The first 3 shots of 77 OTM at 100:

307yds Turkey swinger head:

I've taken it out to 547 so far and it will hold with our bolt guns. I've got the lower built around the Magpul UBR2 stock, all I'm waiting on now is a trigger.....I may or may not wait for the Geissele Black Friday sale. Smart thing to go is wait, but I'm getting impatient to get this done and move on to the next project.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The LAST piece of the puzzle arrived last night! The Geissele SD-E trigger came in and I installed it. Test fired it out back on steel at 407 & 547 a few minutes ago.

"It Lives"!

Parts list: Upper

Aero M4E Stripped Upper
WOA (White Oak Armament) 18" Fluted SPR barrel (So far this barrel is holding 3/4 MOA with thrown charges and PMC "pick-up brass")
SLR Titanium Sentry AGB
SLR Helix 13.7" FF (my 3rd Helix, so I'm sort of sold)
WOA BCG, bolt matched to barrel
Griffin Armament 4SD Flash-Comp
Radian Raptor "light" charging handle
ADM Recon Mount
Vortex 4-16x50 PST (Gen 1)

Lower:

Aero M4E Stripped Lower
Magpul UBR-2 Stock with storage removed. ( a little heavy, but SOLID and balance the 18" tube nicely.
Geissele SD-E trigger
BCM standard weight carbine buffer & spring
Magpul MOE Grip
Seekins Ambi safety
Aero Lower parts kit

So far so good. Still going to put together a LPVO set up in another ADM mount for coyotes, not so much for weight/blk, but for lower magnification when calling them in.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The LAST piece of the puzzle arrived last night! The Geissele SD-E trigger came in and I installed it. Test fired it out back on steel at 407 & 547 a few minutes ago.

"It Lives"!

Parts list: Upper

Aero M4E Stripped Upper
WOA (White Oak Armament) 18" Fluted SPR barrel (So far this barrel is holding 3/4 MOA with thrown charges and PMC "pick-up brass")
SLR Titanium Sentry AGB
SLR Helix 13.7" FF (my 3rd Helix, so I'm sort of sold)
WOA BCG, bolt matched to barrel
Griffin Armament 4SD Flash-Comp
Radian Raptor "light" charging handle
ADM Recon Mount
Vortex 4-16x50 PST (Gen 1)

Lower:

Aero M4E Stripped Lower
Magpul UBR-2 Stock with storage removed. ( a little heavy, but SOLID and balance the 18" tube nicely.
Geissele SD-E trigger
BCM standard weight carbine buffer & spring
Magpul MOE Grip
Seekins Ambi safety
Aero Lower parts kit

So far so good. Still going to put together a LPVO set up in another ADM mount for coyotes, not so much for weight/blk, but for lower magnification when calling them in.
Very nice, What height are you going with for the LVPO mount?

Solid day of training, cleaning the main blaster and waiting on some dry aged ribeyes to come to room temp. Probably not the most sanitary thing in the world. oh well

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Standard 1.47" for the ADM Recon.

The next one will be my 3rd and for me the height is about perfect. I've got 1 more AR15 lower to put together and then unless something truly unique comes up I'm pretty much done. I think my next project will be a Rem 700 "Remage" build for another precision/varmint rifle. At 7 I've reached my saturation point with ARs.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,140 Posts
Springfield Armory stainless loaded M1A
Armalite AR-10
Springfield Armory Saint AR-15
Alexander Arms AR-15 .50 Beowulf
Colt LE6920

1121 - 1139 of 1139 Posts