Defensive Carry banner

1121 - 1122 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
My scoped rifle

I'm teaching myself to reach out a little farther with this scoped 18" AR15.
Same here. I'd never shot at more than 100 yds but our club has a 300 yds range so I thought I'd give that a try. I had to buy a new scope as I couldn't see my hits at that range with the old one.

It's a humbling experience as I'm lucky to land shots on the 12" target at that range, but I'm sure I'll get better with practice.

I'm thinking that my next gun purchase might be an AR build more suited to longer ranges, as I'm interested in building one on my own for the first time.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm putting together an SPR gun now for the same reason. I've got a couple precison bolt guns, but nothing AR15ish. Closest thing ins my 3Gun rig with a match grade Faxon 16" barrel and a Leupold VX6 1-6X. This gun will be built around an 18" SPR barrel. I was looking for something to stretch the .223 a little bit and to use as a primary coyote rig. So far:

White Oak Armament 18" Fluted SPR barrel, Wylde chamber 1:8 twist using a Wilson Arms air-gauged & lapped blank. They were back-ordered, but they took a standard SPR barrel, fluted and bead blasted it for me. Turn around was a week to my door. Weight is right at 2lbs, 5 ounces. Seriously great guys to work with, fast correspondence.

Nitrided BCG, shot-peened & MPI'd, from WOA that was matched to the barrel for headspace

Vortex GEN 1 4-16x50 PST
ADM Recon Mount.

This gun will get a 2nd optic for yote hunting, something in the 1-8 or 1-10 range, for the majority of the shots we get while calling 4X is too much on the low side

1121 - 1122 of 1122 Posts