Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't think that M882 is actually a NATO specification - I believe it's a US military spec, that refers to not the cartridge, but a specific type of ammunition.

I believe that the NATO spec for 9mm is covered under STANAG 4090. That is not a specific ammo type, but a set of specification for the cartridge. Multiple types of specific ammunition can fall within that spec.

I don't think that there is a STANAG spec for any of those three cartridges. I would imagine that is probably at least one "M" designator for .45 ACP FMJ ammunition given the amount of time it's spent in US service, but I don't know it off hand. I would be a bit surprised if there was an "M" designator .40S&W or .357Sig, since I don't believe that they are in US military service (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
wsquared has it right.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I don't think that M882 is actually a NATO specification - I believe it's a US military spec, that refers to not the cartridge, but a specific type of ammunition.
I believe you're right. I don't think that NATO has "specifications" with the "M" designator like the U.S. military uses.

There is "5.56x45 NATO", and "7.62x51 NATO", and "9mm NATO", but not "M" anything.

...I would imagine that is probably at least one "M" designator for .45 ACP FMJ ammunition given the amount of time it's spent in US service, but I don't know it off hand...
Well, at one time, anyway, .45 ACP Ball ammo was... Wait for it... M1911!:

pix620473493.jpg

IIRC, this box dates from about 1919, and may well have been intended for use with either a 1911 pistol or a M1917 revolver. I don't have it in my hand, but I believe the box has the production date on it. I'll see if I can check.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I believe you're right. I don't think that NATO has "specifications" with the "M" designator like the U.S. military uses.

There is "5.56x45 NATO", and "7.62x51 NATO", and "9mm NATO", but not "M" anything.

View attachment 172665

IIRC, this box dates from about 1919, and may well have been intended for use with either a 1911 pistol or a M1917 revolver. I don't have it in my hand, but I believe the box has the production date on it. I'll see if I can check.
Also for r M3 grease gun and 1928 Thompson.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
As noted above unless it is used by NATO it wont be coded ..40,357 mag etc is not

·
Super Moderator
22,267 Posts

View attachment 172665

I have a similar box, Jim, except it's from Peter's.

ETA: Forgot about the WCC.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Also for r M3 grease gun and 1928 Thompson.
I understand your point, but I can say with certainty that these cartridges were not 'intended' for use in either of those guns. Neither had been invented when these were produced! :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts