Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a couple of appendix holsters a few days ago so that I can give it an earnest try. Today is day one and so far so good...

I got the holsters from Tenicor. I picked up the Certum 3. It has the cam (wing), but no wedge. Got one for the G19/G45 and one for the P365.

How many of you are using a wedge? If so, is it a definite benefit?

I also got it with the discrete carry concepts clips. I can change it to pull the dot loops if I want, but I’ve read good things about them...and wanted to give them a try. They are definitely a bear to put on, and once hooked in they are locked in snug. Full opinion to come.

I guess stay tuned to see how this goes. I definitely prefer the higher ride height so far. Otherwise just practicing the draw...

·
Premium Member
36,729 Posts
I use a wedge, no other add-ons like claws. Yes, it adds to both comfort and concealability for me. I also use pull the dot loops.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I’ve been running Tenicore Kydex for some time.
No one really finishes their Kydex the way it should be anymore, but some sandpaper, elbow grease and a bit of time makes their holster pretty close to perfect for me.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I’ve been carrying AIWB for about Four years now after carrying @4:00 for Six years. I like having the gun in front of me. It’s comfortable for me too. I have a few brands of holsters for a few different guns. Some of them came with wedges, but to this day I’ve never tried them.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Yes on wedges for me. All homemade and I use the heavy duty self stick Velcro so I can try different size and shapes of wedges to get it just right. I use cheap sleeping mats and glue layers together to get more thickness.

A word on AIWB. Just like every carry method tiny little adjustments can make a huge difference in comfort and accessibility. A 1/4 in height off belt or a slightly angled wedge,etc. and it makes a world of difference to me.
It took me a lot of trial and error to get it right and changes were made to both holster and carry guns to make it my preferred carry method. I personally much prefer revolvers for AIWB for comfort. Even prefer a 4" model 10 over a single stack auto.

Wedge on this 4" holster as well.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Yes on wedges for me. All homemade and I use the heavy duty self stick Velcro so I can try different size and shapes of wedges to get it just right. I use cheap sleeping mats and glue layers together to get more thickness.

A word on AIWB. Just like every carry method tiny little adjustments can make a huge difference in comfort and accessibility. A 1/4 in height off belt or a slightly angled wedge,etc. and it makes a world of difference to me.
It took me a lot of trial and error to get it right and changes were made to both holster and carry guns to make it my preferred carry method. I personally much prefer revolvers for AIWB for comfort. Even prefer a 4" model 10 over a single stack auto.
View attachment 351276
View attachment 351278

Wedge on this 4" holster as well.
View attachment 351279
What holster are you using for the model 10?? Thanks

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
What holster are you using for the model 10?? Thanks
Its a G-code holster. You have to order what attachment you want seperatly. I have the the belt slide kit and the "mojo" with a 3 hole clip for AIWB. The "super mojo" puts the clip right over the cylinder which I did not like so the standard "mojo" (The aluminum mounting bracket for the clip) puts the clip off to the side which makes the footprint smaller. The standard "mojo" is listed under "hardware" and the clips are listed under "accessories". My recomendation is order the 5 hole clip as you can always cut it shorter once you find your spot.

Revolver Standard Kydex Holster

KIT-07 MOJO

GCA89 - Belt-Clip

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Tenicore makes a great holster with excellent customer service. I know cause I've returned 2 of them !
I want to make IWB or AIWB work cause I think over all it's the best carry for accessibility and concealment. My body just won't allow it to be done comfortably . I've tried all the top brands with claws/wedges/clips you name it....but especially sitting is extremely annoying. Enough so that I've given up and make OWB my choice.
Hope yours works out for you.....some updates on your progress would be interesting.

·
Premium Member
36,729 Posts
Everything I know about AIWB, at least as it applies to me:

Traditional positioning simply won't work. My set-up rides just to the weak side of centerline, at around the 11:30 position.

Add-on stuff like claws, height adjusters, clips, etc. simply add to my confusion. Belt loops positioned far enough apart to work around trouser belt loops are necessary for me. There is one sweet spot where the gun rides comfortably. Depending on the trousers, the gun is to the left, right or around the trouser loop.

A moveable wedge is also critical for comfort. Again, depending on the trousers, the wedge may need slight re-positioning to ride comfortably.

Ride height is critical. Too low, and it chafes against my inner thigh. Too high, it rubs against my ribs when sitting. I have had to reset belt loops on every commercial holster I've purchased to get it just right.

Single-stack Shields carry more comfortably than double stack M&Ps. Glocks chafe and rub, regardless.

I absolutely could not successfully pull of AIWB carry until I got my waist down to 30". Dunlop disease kept it from happening. After I hit 30", I could no longer pull off 3:00 IWB carry, the method I had used for a decade or so.

I cannot carry comfortably to the right of centerline. The grip prints and the muzzle chafes.

4" barrel holsters work the best for me.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Like Mike1956 (who actually has no "weak side," I might add) losing a whole bunch of weight made it possible for me, but I can't say whether it was due to a loss of fat, or due to the fact I did not replace my pants which now have the correct amount of space to make any form of IWB possible. Even if you have pants that are the "correct size" having pants with elastic at the waist helps greatly.

Yes, I use both a wedge and a claw. The JM Custom Kydex holster I use came with a neoprene wedge which wore down in a couple of months. I use a Dr. Scholls gel heel insert in place of the factory wedge. I've had it on there for over a year and a half with no sign of wear. The idea was not original to me.

I've been carrying AIWB for almost two years now and find it to be very comfortable. I would not go back to any other form of carry unless I was forced to.

·
Premium Member
36,729 Posts
Like Mike1956 (who actually has no "weak side," I might add) losing a whole bunch of weight made it possible for me, but I can't say whether it was due to a loss of fat, or due to the fact I did not replace my pants which now have the correct amount of space to make any form of IWB possible. Even if you have pants that are the "correct size" having pants with elastic at the waist helps greatly.

Yes, I use both a wedge and a claw. The JM Custom Kydex holster I use came with a neoprene wedge which wore down in a couple of months. I use a Dr. Scholls gel heel insert in place of the factory wedge. I've had it on there for over a year and a half with no sign of wear. The idea was not original to me.

I've been carrying AIWB for almost two years now and find it to be very comfortable. I would not go back to any other form of carry unless I was forced to.

View attachment 351293
It looks like you are making that big gun carry work. I would suggest moving that second belt loop closer to the top of the slide to more evenly distribute the weight of the set-up and to give you a bit more wiggle room on location.

I forgot to mention the elastic waistband, found on all my trousers, as well. Size-larger pants of old never fit me as comfortably or as correctly as the current 30" elastics. The crotch always rode too low on size-larger.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
It looks like you are making that big gun carry work. I would suggest moving that second belt loop closer to the top of the slide to more evenly distribute the weight of the set-up and to give you a bit more wiggle room on location.
This is actually an older photo and I have moved the loops from their original position. But, are you saying you think I should add a cant to the rig?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use a Dr. Scholls gel heel insert in place of the factory wedge. I've had it on there for over a year and a half with no sign of wear. The idea was not original to me.
Any particular gel heel insert? Size...etc? Do you do any doctoring to it?

·
Premium Member
36,729 Posts
This is actually an older photo and I have moved the loops from their original position. But, are you saying you think I should add a cant to the rig?
No, you probably have the cant where you want it. Moving that loop farther away gives more weight distribution and latitude on placement.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
How dare you post an old photo ?? Trying to throw us off ?

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Any particular gel heel insert? Size...etc? Do you do any doctoring to it?
You need to look at the size of your holster, measure it, and select a insert that is sized appropriately. I use heavy duty, adhesive backed velcro ,to attach it to the holster.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I just can’t get comfortable muzzling my gonads with a firearm that does not have a manual safety. Revolvers the exception, of course. I have been considering forward of hip at 2, or 10.
but, right now, until I lose another 10-15 lbs, I’m still carrying at 3-4 o’clock.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
No, you probably have the cant where you want it. Moving that loop farther away gives more weight distribution and latitude on placement.
Okay. Now I get what you were saying. Given the way the holster is designed, there is an indentation for the nuts that secure the loops. If I move the loops over as you suggest, which is not a bad idea at all, the nuts will be up against the gun and will scratch up the pistol. But as it rides right now, I have no issues with how it carries. The holster is really very well designed and executed, with no discomfort, or feeling that it is off balance or sagging. But thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts