Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we might be hearing about this one soon......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7407459/Ohio-homeowner-shoots-dead-two-17-year-old-boys-trespassing-inside-garage.html

Devon Henderson and Javier Harrison, both 17, were shot dead on Wednesday
The unidentified homeowner told 911 he shot them in his garage at 9.30pm
He told cops the boys were trying to 'rob' and 'do something' to his house
Javier's father says he should not have shot and that the boys had been to the garage before
He claims they knew the owner - who has not been identified and is being questioned by police

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
Odd that a UK news outlet would find a shooting in Ohio newsworthy.

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
Believe it or not, they report everything. I see more stories from that source than anything stateside. And its usually not laced with the authors opinion.
With over forty murders per day in the US, I'm doubtful that they report them all. Which ones they do report actually is the author's opinion.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course they don't. But in general they will post stories you won't see in many places. I remember they put out a lot of stories about Obama that never made the press anywhere else.

·
Registered
935 Posts
In a perfect world, the homeowner (maybe) should have called 911 first - but we don't know if the kids had a history of theft from the garage, or if they were just 'being kids". They got what they deserved - maybe earlier than normal, but they won't be thieving anymore. Tough

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
@Mike1956: You will know this better than me, but my read of the new Ohio SD law, that puts the burden on the prosecution to prove it was not SD might work in this guy's favor. It might get him off. The way I read it, if they entered the guys' dwelling, which I think would include the garage, it is presumed that he has the right to shoot unless the prosecution can prove he was under no threat, which I think would be hard for the prosecution to do.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Umm, SD law or not, you cannot shoot someone just because they are in your garage. The homeowner initiated the contact, not the trespassers, and there is no evidence they meant him harm. Unless they tried harming him and he fired in SD as determined by a reasonable person, he is toast. And even if he beats a Murder charge, he will still lose a Wrongful Death civil suit.

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
If it goes to court the things he said may be used against him to attempt to convince the jury or judge he really didn't feel at risk of death or grave bodily injury, but rather that he shot out of malice.

Of course he might also have told the 911 dispatcher or investigators what the young men were doing that necessitated a lethal response, and it just wasn't reported in the news.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
AND, as there is a survivor, all that person needs to say in court is that they were there for some innocent reason (unlawful or not) and not to harm the shooter.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
There was someone there other than the homeowner and the two deceased young men?
The Dayton article says there was a 3rd trespasser who left but came back once the Police got there. This does not bode well for the homeowner.

Reactions: graydude

·
Premium Member
953 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,165 Posts
Too little information to make any type of a decision yet.

Reactions: OD*

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Regardless of the unreported facts, this will not play well with the press - teens being killed generate lots of sympathy without regard for what they were doing.

·
Premium Member
33,798 Posts
The lack of close-up coverage on this particular shooting in and of itself makes me believe it simply does not fit on the MSM storyboard. While the shooting victims were black, the shooter isn't being identified. This indicates that he is a minority. If he was a white guy or a cop, it would generate much more media interest. We are also told that the weapon used is a revolver. Since it isn't black, semi-automatic and capable of holding lots of boolits, not much there for them to sink their teeth into.

The one little bit of info that has captured interest is Ohio's recent changes in its self-defense laws. Much has been made of the fact that any prosecution of the shooter will hinge on disproving his claim of self-defense.

I look for the shooter to be charged and tried without any further media attention in the case.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts