Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out recently that some OHIO residents don't have a home state permit, talked to a few people that have only a Florida permit and have no intention on getting an OH permit for reasons of privacy and reciprocity.

one guys says that he only has an FL permit because CCW holder info is more protected in FL and is recognized in more places. the other said FL permit was cheaper/easier to get and lasts longer.

i thought that OHIO residents MUST have OH permit.

i only have OHIO permit, thinking about getting FL for when/if i travel to a state that does not recognize OH CCW. but i need to take the class again because i took the class and got my OH CCW seven years ago.

fellow buckeyes: do you have a home state permit as well as Florida / Utah permit, or just out of state permit.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
I, too know of Ohio residents who carry here on a Florida permit, for some of the reasons you mentioned.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have Ohio only right now. It was much faster than getting the FL. Also, more and more states (including MI, where I travel frequently) will not accept a non-resident permit. I am going to try to add an Indiana permit this month as my employer is based there. You must have a "regular place of business" to obtain an IN non-resident permit. It adds more state than FL.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I have my OH and non res PA permits. This allows me to carry everywhere I need to go except CO, and I'm not sure that CO is anywhere I want to go these days. This is the one state that I have lived in and would like to be able to return to that I cannot.

I will never again set foot in IL, NJ, NY, CA, CT, MD, RI or NH by choice. CO is the one disappointment. The most beautiful country I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. Until they wake up and do something about the progressive poison that has infiltrated their once proud state...

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I live in OH and I have my OH CHL. I am also working on getting my AZ CHL.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have my Ohio license. There are several good reasons.

1. The more licenses issued in Ohio the stronger we look politically when trying to get the carry laws improved.
2. Resident license make it legal to carry in federally defined school zones, non-resident licenses are not legal in those zones.
3. I can carry in Michigan on my Ohio license. An Ohioan carrying on a FL license cannot.
4. If either Florida or Ohio decides to cancel the reciprocity agreement, suddenly you would not be able to carry in Ohio. In fact, it has already been discussed in the Ohio Senate that if Ohio changes the law to recognize all other state licenses, they would require that Ohioans get an Ohio license.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have my OH and non res PA permits. This allows me to carry everywhere I need to go except CO, and I'm not sure that CO is anywhere I want to go these days. This is the one state that I have lived in and would like to be able to return to that I cannot.

I will never again set foot in IL, NJ, NY, CA, CT, MD, RI or NH by choice. CO is the one disappointment. The most beautiful country I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. Until they wake up and do something about the progressive poison that has infiltrated their once proud state...
I feel the same. If a State does not recognize my permits ( Ohio, Florida, pa ) I am not going there. I'll spend my money were I can go armed.

·
Registered
586 Posts

Why NH? Most of the states you mention are anti-gun, but not NH.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Unless things have changed, which is certainly possible, NH and OH do not have a reciprocity agreement and NH does not recognize my non-res PA permit
Ok, but you better add MA to your list then (where I live). Mass won't honor any other states carry permit! Guaranteed felony carrying in MA without a MA LTC!

P.S. I have a non-res NH, as they won't honor my MA LTC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts