Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved from Ohio to Florida about 7 months ago. I knew the two states had reciprocity, but didnt realize I had to transfer my Ohio to Florida within 30 days (Florida's CCW State Resident Law).. Long story short, I retook the Florida class and WOW so different then in Ohio.

Back up in the great white north it was 10 hours class time and 3 hour range time (give or take, it's been a while).. Down here in the southern swamp lands, it's 3 hours in class (and that's pushing it) and maybe all of 5 minutes at the range!!

It seems the Ohio class is more geared towards "First Timers" while the Florida class assumes a past knowledge in the field of firearms.

Why am I posting this? Because I'm on my morning coffee buzz :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The last Ohio v Florida thread...

Final was 41-14. '06, I believe that was.

·
Registered
891 Posts
there was no need to re-take the class. If you had the cert from the OH class that would have been fine. As you allude to just any famiarity with a gun is good here in Fl. Even a hunter safety course is good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just took my NRA basic pistol class last weekend and am applying Friday. They pretty much have to go over the basics for some people in the class. There were a couple people that clearly had never fired a pistol. It really opened my eyes to the competency of the average gunowner, and I figured out that gunowner /= shooter.

The only thing I liked about the 12 hours of class + range time is that the instructors have more than enough time to gauge if someone is competent enough to use and carry a handgun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a nice bonus, when you get your Florida permit it will be recognized in more states than you Ohio permit was. :hand10:

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
The last Ohio v Florida thread...

Final was 41-14. '06, I believe that was.
Go Gators!:danceban::danceban::danceban:

To the OP...FL certainly makes it easy to take advantage of your 2A rights.:congrats:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts