Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ohio legislature recently passed a confusing, watered-down, doolittle bill concerning concealed carry within the state.

I had this in my mailbox this morning from Buckeye Firearms Association. These clowns are using this less-than-worthless piece of legislation as a recruiting tool for their organization:

"JOIN BFA

Last week, we won a great victory. And it happened the way it always happens, by standing together and sending a strong message to our elected lawmakers that our rights WILL NOT be infringed.

BFA members and supporters drove more than 10,000 calls and emails to Ohio Senators and Representatives. And they heard the message loud and clear, passing an important bill that makes several big improvements for gun owners!

But we've already begun work on next year's laws. So we continue to need your help. If you haven't joined yet, please join now. Let's keep standing and fighting together!

JOIN BFA"

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
31 Posts
I sent 3 emails to Representative Palinda and Senator Burke. No BFA membership required. This is not dolittle legislation, as some folks are forced to choose between leaving the gun at home or risking losing their job. Ill take a pro-gun assembly anytime. Don't join the BFA thats fine, but the bills are hardly less than worthless legislation to alot of Ohioans. My suggestion, contact your representatives if you dont want a bill to pass.

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent 3 emails to Representative Palinda and Senator Burke. No BFA membership required. This is not dolittle legislation, as some folks are forced to choose between leaving the gun at home or risking losing their job. Ill take a pro-gun assembly anytime. Don't join the BFA thats fine, but the bills are hardly less than worthless legislation to alot of Ohioans. My suggestion, contact your representatives if you dont want a bill to pass.
BFA is urinating on the tent and telling us it is raining if the email I received in any indicator. Many risk quite a bit every day with the condition of current Ohio gun law.

We are past emailing our reps (which I did). Time to contact the governor (which I also did).

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Mike: Try living in Cuyahoga or Summit County where they make their own laws and you'll be a cheerleader for any pro 2A legislator.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
31 Posts
So you have an axe to grind with the BFA? Or is it that you don't want your employees keeping guns in their cars? Are you with the Chamber of Commerce? Or is it the military being allowed CCW rights? I think BFA does a decent job of keeping folks in the loop, so to speak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the BFA goal is to get folks to contact reps about passing legislation and there were 10,000 emails sent, and legislation passed, what are they supposed to call that? Failure? Smh.

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike: Try living in Cuyahoga or Summit County where they make their own laws and you'll be a cheerleader for any pro 2A legislator.
'cept I don't see what just happened at the Statehouse as pro-2A legislation.

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you have an axe to grind with the BFA? Or is it that you don't want your employees keeping guns in their cars? Are you with the Chamber of Commerce? Or is it the military being allowed CCW rights? I think BFA does a decent job of keeping folks in the loop, so to speak.
D-none of the above. I'm the guy who risks felony prosecution if I place my safety and that of my fellow citizens above the whims of school boards and governing bodies in force-of-law Ohio. The legislation as originally passed alleviated at least part of that bit of reality.

Who specifically will benefit by the parking lot nonsense here in right-to-fire Ohio?

How many of the 6,700 active duty military currently serving in Ohio are handgun-qualified by the military, and of those, how many will be able to get hip-pocket certification from their commanders enabling them to carry off-post in lieu of the fifty-dollar Concealed Handgun License currently available in Ohio? Even those who do manage to get it still won't be able to carry on federally-mandated gun-free military installations.

Like I said, this bill is worth less than nothing, and I'm hoping Kasich vetoes it.

Reactions: PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
31 Posts
Who specifically will benefit by the parking lot nonsense here in right-to-fire Ohio?
People who work for companies that don't skirt the law to fire employees, but may happen to have a no gun policy. If a company is willing to find other ways to fire these folks for vehicle gun possession alone, than maybe they don't deserve the help.

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
286 Posts
I sent Governor Kasich an email asking him to veto SB 199 based on the fact that it weakens state preemption. Today, cities have no power to regulate where licensees can carry. If Kasich signs the bill, cities will have regained some of the power to regulate carry. We need to be strengthening preemption, not weakening it.

Since I work at a school, this bill would actually allow me to carry to/from school since it allows licensees to leave their guns in their locked cars. But I am willing to give that up to keep state preemption strong.

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sent Governor Kasich an email asking him to veto SB 199 based on the fact that it weakens state preemption. Today, cities have no power to regulate where licensees can carry. If Kasich signs the bill, cities will have regained some of the power to regulate carry. We need to be strengthening preemption, not weakening it.

Since I work at a school, this bill would actually allow me to carry to/from school since it allows licensees to leave their guns in their locked cars. But I am willing to give that up to keep state preemption strong.
I also asked him to veto it, for mostly the same reasons.

·
Administrator
144,732 Posts
Mike stated his opinion.
Agree or disagree and do it a civil manner.
Intelligent, polite, discussion. Point/Counterpoint.
Mike.....civil. :yup:

·
Registered
808 Posts

Can you post the specific language of the Bill that weakens State Preemption?

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nobody?

Nobody can post the actual language of the Bill that they object with?
My objection is that it accomplishes virtually nothing for licensed carriers in Ohio.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My objection is that it accomplishes virtually nothing for licensed carriers in Ohio.
Yeah, I got that, but it has been posted and agreed with that this Bill weaken State Preemption.

I can't find anything in this Bill that would weaken Preemption, I must be missing it, can you post the appropriate language for all to see.

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I got that, but it has been posted and agreed with that this Bill weaken State Preemption.

I can't find anything in this Bill that would weaken Preemption, I must be missing it, can you post the appropriate language for all to see.
Preemption is the doctrine of state law that holds that a state law displaces a local law or regulation that is in the same field and is in conflict or inconsistent with the state law. Empowering school governing bodies, business or property owners to decide who can carry and who cannot contradicts that doctrine. The most recent law passed by the Ohio legislature furthers it by forfeiting the state's role in deciding who is committing a felony and who isn't and giving it to the schools themselves.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts